Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boring question about hoovers

Boring question about hoovers

Old May 7th 2005, 7:03 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough
Default Boring question about hoovers

I have noticed that hoovers are very expensive in Oz but ours is really on its last legs and we have no intentions of bringing it. However, if we were settling in Queensland do many people use vacuum cleaners. I just thought that if floors were tiled then you would just sweep and mop? Do most houses have some carpet in them? Sorry if this sounds a daft question but if we are likely to use a hoover in Oz then I would rather buy it here in UK because of the cost.
Thanks
Carolyn
Old May 7th 2005, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boring question about hoovers

Originally Posted by NAC
I have noticed that hoovers are very expensive in Oz but ours is really on its last legs and we have no intentions of bringing it. However, if we were settling in Queensland do many people use vacuum cleaners. I just thought that if floors were tiled then you would just sweep and mop? Do most houses have some carpet in them? Sorry if this sounds a daft question but if we are likely to use a hoover in Oz then I would rather buy it here in UK because of the cost.
Thanks
Carolyn
But you may have to pay tax on it when it comes into Oz.

And our house is mostly tiled, and yes I do hoover, and then mop. I suppose I could sweep, and then pick it up. But the bedrooms are carpeted so they have to be hoovered, so I just hoover everywhere.

Cheers,

JTL

Yes ,I know, a bloke talking about hoovering

I'm not gay or anything,
Old May 7th 2005, 7:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NAC
Thanks
Carolyn
Some houses are fully tiled, but i'd say a lot would still have carpet in the bedrooms.

Not sure of the prices of Vacuums in the UK now, but they vary in price here
eg:
LG 1400w Bagless at $249
LG 1700w Barrel type HEPA $249
Ronson 1400w Pull along $69
Electrolux Upright Bagless Cordless $139
Dyson DC05 Bagless $599

Anything you buy in the UK will only have a UK warranty.

edit: PS that's now 2 blokes talking about vacuuming

Last edited by ABCDiamond; May 7th 2005 at 7:31 am. Reason: PS

Old May 7th 2005, 7:40 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
But you may have to pay tax on it when it comes into Oz.

And our house is mostly tiled, and yes I do hoover, and then mop. I suppose I could sweep, and then pick it up. But the bedrooms are carpeted so they have to be hoovered, so I just hoover everywhere.

Cheers,

JTL

Yes ,I know, a bloke talking about hoovering

I'm not gay or anything,
Most impressed!! My husband doesn't even know where the hoover is kept in our house. He says the problem is being short sighted and he doesn't see dust

ABC; maybe its just Dysons that are expensive then! Our Dyson is falling apart and when we called them up to get an extra part they were genuinely surprised that it had made it to 5 years old Really don't think I would buy another one so if other models are ok priced in Oz I will probably just wait. In my opinion Dysons are very over-rated.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Carolyn
Old May 7th 2005, 8:10 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Boring question about hoovers

Originally Posted by NAC
ABC; maybe its just Dysons that are expensive then! Our Dyson is falling apart and when we called them up to get an extra part they were genuinely surprised that it had made it to 5 years old Really don't think I would buy another one so if other models are ok priced in Oz I will probably just wait. In my opinion Dysons are very over-rated.
Yet another bloke chipping in ! ! !

I would imagine the build quality will go down as the Dyson manufacturing side of things I believe has now moved to India. Probably being built by 10 year old kids who love Mecanno!

R.
Old May 7th 2005, 8:22 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NAC
Most impressed!! My husband doesn't even know where the hoover is kept in our house. He says the problem is being short sighted and he doesn't see dust

Carolyn
Hi I had the same dilemma the other week when mine was on its last legs, it finally gave up the ghost so I had no choice but to buy another.

Looked at Dyson jeez they are expensive arent they? Plus over head 3 womwn in the shop who said theirs had broken.

Plumped for a bagless electrolux £80 very reasonable i think and it works fine.
Old May 7th 2005, 8:32 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Carruss
Yet another bloke chipping in ! ! !

I would imagine the build quality will go down as the Dyson manufacturing side of things I believe has now moved to India. Probably being built by 10 year old kids who love Mecanno!

R.
Malaysia: Dyson production moves to Malaysia
Old May 7th 2005, 8:36 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Megalania
I stand corrected!

R.
Old May 7th 2005, 8:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NAC
Our Dyson is falling apart and when we called them up to get an extra part they were genuinely surprised that it had made it to 5 years old Really don't think I would buy another one so if other models are ok priced in Oz I will probably just wait. In my opinion Dysons are very over-rated.

Carolyn
We bought a Kirby about 13 years ago, and its still going strong

Old May 7th 2005, 8:53 am
I am not the Messiah!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We bought a Kirby about 13 years ago, and its still going strong
Kirby's eh! Now thats another story.

Did you ever see the program with Ruby Wax when she looked at the sales techniques used by the Kirby sales force. *****ing hilarious and everything you would expect from an American company. People actually thought it was all put on for the cameras but it was all true, they admitted it!

Supposed to be a very reliable piece of kit though and provide spares fro machines over twenty years old. I would just like to say at this point I have never and will never work for this company!

R.
Old May 7th 2005, 8:53 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

I stand corrected!

R.
20 years ago I bought a little Sanyo - filter is just microporous plastic - give the filter a squirt out with the garden hose every 3rd empty - continues to do a very satisfactory job - no noticable dust in the exhaust.

The upright bag beater vacuum stays in the cupboard year after year.
Old May 7th 2005, 9:00 am
ABCDiamond

Kirby's eh! Now thats another story.

Did you ever see the program with Ruby Wax when she looked at the sales techniques used by the Kirby sales force. *****ing hilarious and everything you would expect from an American company. People actually thought it was all put on for the cameras but it was all true, they admitted it!

Supposed to be a very reliable piece of kit though and provide spares fro machines over twenty years old. I would just like to say at this point I have never and will never work for this company!

R.
So true.
I didnt see the program, but we did get the sales patter in true life

The sales man even invited himself to dinner, and brought the wine !! We kept the wine, but he never got the dinner

Old May 7th 2005, 9:01 am
I am not the Messiah!

So true.

The sales man even invited himself to dinner, and brought the wine !! We kept the wine, but he never got the dinner
LOL
Old May 7th 2005, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

achish is on a distinguished road

So true.

It was a she that did our sales talk. Did yours strip off your bed sheets and do the demo what's in your mattress. :scared: You just don't want to go there
Old May 7th 2005, 9:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by achish
It was a she that did our sales talk. Did yours strip off your bed sheets and do the demo what's in your mattress. :scared: You just don't want to go there
Yep. I'd forgotten that !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.