Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boring old laundry!

Boring old laundry!

Old Sep 24th 2005, 7:34 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boring old laundry!

Has anyone yet solved the question of whether front loading washing machines are better/more effective than top loaders? It wouldn't have been too much of an issue in the UK, but I'm going to have to make a decision this week on which to get and I'm dithering. I would have preferred a front loader, but the only detergent I've found so far that gets anything clean is the Omo Sensitive, which you can't use in front loaders.

So does anyone any thoughts on machines - pros or cons - or detergents for that matter? Recommendations? I know it's boring....sorry!

Sue
Old Sep 24th 2005, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boring old laundry!

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Has anyone yet solved the question of whether front loading washing machines are better/more effective than top loaders? It wouldn't have been too much of an issue in the UK, but I'm going to have to make a decision this week on which to get and I'm dithering. I would have preferred a front loader, but the only detergent I've found so far that gets anything clean is the Omo Sensitive, which you can't use in front loaders.

So does anyone any thoughts on machines - pros or cons - or detergents for that matter? Recommendations? I know it's boring....sorry!

Sue
Have you tried Oma-matic Sensitive Concentrate? It works fine for us with a front-loading machine, at 40c.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 24th 2005, 7:43 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Sue
Sue there will be some passionate debate on this one i'm sure but we use a top loader and surf liquid and are consistently satisfied with the result........

I've heard others say that top loaders chew clothes, but that is not our experience....

Front loaders use less water but toploaders allow access to the drum allowing you to add those forgotten items once the cycle has begun............
Old Sep 24th 2005, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjonboy
Sue there will be some passionate debate on this one
You mean one of these?!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307069
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280896

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 24th 2005, 8:54 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Sue
I hope you buy a front loader cause if you dont im sure its a decision you will end up regretting toploaders are notorious for chewing your washing,i think in the last 8months since ive been here ive only heard one or two good coments about them!

As far as the soap powder issue,i use toploading washpowder in my frontloader(Fab 15kg box)only cottoned on to this a couple of months ago ,most people use topload powder in frontloaders!! just be careful with the amount of powder you use,always use less than you would normally.
Saves you money & the results are far better too

Donna.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hiya belladonna

IMHO you would be best to stick to what you know! I'm soooo glad I bought a frontloader...when we first got here we used a toploader regularly until we got our own place....they completely ruined my clothes...even when Aussies allegedly experienced in using them did the washing for me!!

I think the only good thing I could say about the toploaders is that yes, they are convenient if you've forgotten something, but at the expense of mylovely clothes??? nah, frontloader everytime for me!!

There are heaps of liquids and powders for front loaders...when you come for coffee I will take you shopping and show you!!

love sophia xx
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:35 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=sophia
There are heaps of liquids and powders for front loaders...when you come for coffee I will take you shopping and show you!!

love sophia xx[/QUOTE]
Can I come too? We are heading for Rockingham
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
LOL of course you can!!! The more the merrier!! just send me a PM when you're here and I'll give you my phone number!!

love sophia xx
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

I use duo matic in my front loader and its great. It has the built in softner so you don't need to use a seperate one which can over time leave oil streakes on your clothes!

Front loaders also spin more so this makes the dying of items much quicker.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Front loaders also spin more so this makes the dying of items much quicker.
So you're killing your clothes too??
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by sophia
hiya belladonna

IMHO you would be best to stick to what you know! I'm soooo glad I bought a frontloader...when we first got here we used a toploader regularly until we got our own place....they completely ruined my clothes...even when Aussies allegedly experienced in using them did the washing for me!!

I think the only good thing I could say about the toploaders is that yes, they are convenient if you've forgotten something, but at the expense of mylovely clothes??? nah, frontloader everytime for me!!

love sophia xx
You're on Sophia. I'm looking forward to going shopping with you!

Sue
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
You're both on for feet, aren't you?

Sue
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve G
So you're killing your clothes too??
That's what you get when you look after 7 girls for a sleep over
NEED SOME