Boring Canberra

Old Jul 29th 2008, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Boring Canberra

hi
my hubby just got a job 50k after doing the sums we got about 300 dollars per week (150pounds) to live on after the basic bills -
internet / telephone
electric
car insurance
rent
tax .....ect
there's 3 of us too
public PRIMARY school is free tho they ask for $60/year volutary contribution but Im sure this will vary.
I don't know your situation on savings
We spent about $4000 for basic furniture (setee, tv stand beds and draws) and $4000 on basic electrical item (fridge, washer, tv )
hope this helps you.
Not really got the hang of shopping here lol that will come in time xxx
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:41 am
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Faircity
Thanks M&M that is a help - you say that you haven't inc in costs - is that insurance costs??? Also was it for a family of 7 if that is the case I am taking it you would think that 3 of us would do just fine on this amount then?? Where abouts are you living - need some hints on that - there were some suggestions on the thread before but these seem quite expensive??? It is all so much to take in at the moment - I think we might be doing our normal thing and over analyzing it all!!!!:curse:

Lx
Our family size makes a difference, our estimator included everything you have to pay for including school fees $ 6,500 house bills are cheaper, rent is scary, but with 3 of you you can rent cheaper than us, expect $18,000 in rent. the cheapest area is Ngunawal nice house small plots and there is a shopping centre (weekly shopping same as uk but double for the dollar)and schools near and crossing town is a 15 min job to the south side although having worked in a few areas now IMO I would say the north has more infrastructure, although the south has more social clubs and such, inner city is very expensive although travel cost become cheaper.
No one piece of advise will calm you at the mo it is a massive step but to us a good one, your job should come first, I'm a tradie so had to work at it, having a job lined up is a big bonus especially if you have little funds unfortunately money still makes the world go round, do as much homework and get as many opinions as you need,you have to go with what you feel is right, hope this helps
M&M
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Originally Posted by beaumonts
hi
my hubby just got a job 50k after doing the sums we got about 300 dollars per week (150pounds) to live on after the basic bills -
internet / telephone
electric
car insurance
rent
tax .....ect
there's 3 of us too
public PRIMARY school is free tho they ask for $60/year volutary contribution but Im sure this will vary.
I don't know your situation on savings
We spent about $4000 for basic furniture (setee, tv stand beds and draws) and $4000 on basic electrical item (fridge, washer, tv )
hope this helps you.
Not really got the hang of shopping here lol that will come in time xxx
That is fab help! Where abouts are you based in Canberra - do you live in a town/suburb outside - feel free to PM the info to me if you don't want to put it up on here!

Lx
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Originally Posted by magic.no7
Our family size makes a difference, our estimator included everything you have to pay for including school fees $ 6,500 house bills are cheaper, rent is scary, but with 3 of you you can rent cheaper than us, expect $18,000 in rent. the cheapest area is Ngunawal nice house small plots and there is a shopping centre (weekly shopping same as uk but double for the dollar)and schools near and crossing town is a 15 min job to the south side although having worked in a few areas now IMO I would say the north has more infrastructure, although the south has more social clubs and such, inner city is very expensive although travel cost become cheaper.
No one piece of advise will calm you at the mo it is a massive step but to us a good one, your job should come first, I'm a tradie so had to work at it, having a job lined up is a big bonus especially if you have little funds unfortunately money still makes the world go round, do as much homework and get as many opinions as you need,you have to go with what you feel is right, hope this helps
M&M
Thanks M&M yeah you are right and the one thing we always said was we would go if there was a job - but like everyone else says it is a big step but one we have been planning for just over 7 years now (OH had to get quals!) It has all come at once I guess and I think the salary is slightly less than we were hoping for! But our son is 12 so I am thinking I can pick up some work once we are all settled into the day to day life!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:01 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Faircity
Quoll/Beaumonts/Copa

OH has just been offered a post in Canberra The only thing sticking point is the salary and would value your honest opinion! He is being offered just over 60K - is this enough to live on (there is me, OH and 12 year old)??? We are trying to do the sums but not knowing the cost of shopping/bills etc it is difficult to add it all up. Appreciate an honest opinion and you all seem to know your stuff!

Thanks
Lx
you can do it on 60k.. 60k is probably a bit below average for canberra but it'll get you by..

if you also work you'll be laughing.

check out allhomes.com.au for rentals in canberra..
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Claire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really nice

I just found out that I will most probably be working in the Just Cuts salon in Tuggeranong. Anyone there that can tell me a bit about that area....I know it is South of the city.
Ta
Claire
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:26 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Claire W
I just found out that I will most probably be working in the Just Cuts salon in Tuggeranong. Anyone there that can tell me a bit about that area....I know it is South of the city.
Ta
Claire
i sometimes get my hair cut in Just Cuts , Belconnen in the north side of Canberra...

I'm sure someone on here lives in the south that can help you out..

put your new employers address into google maps and check out the area..
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Claire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really nice

Hee hee......oh I have already done that......I wasn't sure which salon I would be going in...but this one has now been mentioned so was just wondering about other things in this area....I know that there are older houses and a large shopping complex.....I suppose I want to know how people feel about the area? Do they like it and why etc......silly because I know we all like different things and I have read lots of conflicting ideas on different areas and usually take it all with a pinch of salt....as only we will know whether we will like it!!!
Claire
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

We live in Kambah Tuggeranong (south canberra) - its fairly quiet here the views are beautiful - breath taking in fact

Claire I think the hairdressers is in the hyperdrome (massive shopping centre) its only 5/10 min drive from my house

Those thinkin about movin here try going on the liveincanberra website (if have nt already) once you arrive you can join them and they have days out with people in similar situations to us. Its winetasting I beleive in October lol.

keep in touch and good luck

forgot to mension the zoo where I beleive you can hand feed the tigers and bears, not been yet but have heard its good. Not really dont too much here been concentrating on setting up home and settlin but will keep postin updates

just remembered reading somewhere that theres a nudist "beach" in the area if any ones was interested hehe

Last edited by beaumonts; Jul 30th 2008 at 9:53 am.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that.....you liking the area then I take it....what line of work are you in? I can see from the wages question earlier we will both need to work....although we were doing that anyway!! We both work here anyhow...so no difference there...
Thanks but don't think I'll be doing the nudist beach.....hold on there are no beaches there ?!!!!
Claire
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Hi Claire
My hubby is a cad draftsperson he's takin a different direction - in the same industry but in engineering he went for two interviews and got both - I have just been for interview as office assistant (fingers crossed) as I did nt really work in UK being housewife/mother. The job I have gone for sounds perfect as they are willing to work around school and school hols - its easier to get the work - life balance here

Altho its great here in Canberra surely as a hairdresser you can easy get a visa and move where ever you like just about (dont get me wrong we like it but there are far better places to move - sorry canberrians)

Regards to the nudist "beach" its somewhere along the river (not much of a beach and abit chilly at the mo lol)- btw I was looking for swimming pool (its called Kambah pool or something) and came across it I was nt looking for one
Maria
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by copa
you can do it on 60k.. 60k is probably a bit below average for canberra but it'll get you by..

if you also work you'll be laughing.

check out allhomes.com.au for rentals in canberra..
Thanks Copa......... everyone has been helpful.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:41 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire W
Hi Gill...just a thought...any ideas on a good primary school for child with VI probs?? Thinking any area of Canberra,
Claire
You should go on to the government site for schools and check out their school reports. It gives you an idea of where they are at and what they are up to. They are not league tables though so don't expect that. I have had the joy of spending many a night looking at them. They are much better reports than the ofsted reports that you get here.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Quote:
Altho its great here in Canberra surely as a hairdresser you can easy get a visa

and move where ever you like just about (dont get me wrong we like it but there are far better places to move - sorry canberrians)

Hi Maria....unfortunately we have problems with medicals and needed to get a sponsor for a temp. visa otherwise I would have loved to go out on the PR visa...obviously much more secure to do that !!

Best of luck with your interview....sounds perfect for child care !
I will check out the tables on the gov. education site
TA
Claire
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Being a north of the lake kind of gal, cant say that I really like Tuggeranong that much. Worked there for several years though. The cheaper areas like Richardson, Chisholm, Gilmore, Banks, Conder are probably areas that you dont want to live in really. All the schools in the south are open space which isnt ideal for many kids - too many kids, not enough space - and many Tugg parents send their kids over the hill to Torrens, Farrer, Garran in preference and even more send their kids over for HS to Melrose, Alfred Deakin or even Telopea if they can get in.

$60kpa is going to be a stretch in Canberra IMHO - it is generally quite a high income kind of place and that is reflected in the rents you are probably going to have to fork out. Ball park for something nice is going to be around the $450 a week mark - the further out you go the lower the rents are likely to be but the more you will have to spend on transport (petrol, parking in the city centres etc or bus fares) so it is a bit of swings and roundabouts really. It is possible to make economies - buy at the Saturday Farmers Market or the weekend fruit markets, double dip on petrol (get your 5c/litre voucher from Coles/Woolies then take the petrol receipt to IGA for your next week's shopping for another 5c a litre off.) There is a thriving freecycle group which can help you equip your place and there are always sales on. The schools do pressure you hard for the voluntary contribution thing but if you are strapped for cash go and talk to the principal because there is usually a quiet little slush fund to help out for some school essential costs like excursions etc. If you live close enough to a town centre you can bike on the bike paths to bring down your transport costs (DH does that but he is a gym junkie anyway).

Looks like we will be having a big coffee morning not too far away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.