British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   borderline insanity (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/borderline-insanity-525839/)

scratchey Mar 31st 2008 6:15 pm

borderline insanity

hi

well, i fell like my heads about to burst sometimes.:confused: we have our visas but still in the uk (n.ireland to be precise) but my problem is leaving my 2 oldest kids behind, they live with there mum but i see them very regular. even though they are 21 and 17, i hate the thought of not seeing them for years on end. i know they can come out and visit but with the price of a return ticket it would only be every couple of years. my wife would go tomorrow and we have three other kids that would be coming with us and they would go in the morning. but then theres me:unsure:, sometimes i think "what the heek just go" but i dont want it to be decided on a whim like that. must say i feel like s**t. maybe im to much of a family man, who knows, i certainly dont.

scratchey

ponyrama Mar 31st 2008 8:16 pm

Re: borderline insanity

Originally Posted by scratchey (Post 6138020)
hi

well, i fell like my heads about to burst sometimes.:confused: we have our visas but still in the uk (n.ireland to be precise) but my problem is leaving my 2 oldest kids behind, they live with there mum but i see them very regular. even though they are 21 and 17, i hate the thought of not seeing them for years on end. i know they can come out and visit but with the price of a return ticket it would only be every couple of years. my wife would go tomorrow and we have three other kids that would be coming with us and they would go in the morning. but then theres me:unsure:, sometimes i think "what the heek just go" but i dont want it to be decided on a whim like that. must say i feel like s**t. maybe im to much of a family man, who knows, i certainly dont.

scratchey

I kinda feel the same about leaving my dad behind - we are very close and I know its not like leaving your kids but all the same, you only get one shot at this life -your kids are old enough to decide to leave you and dissapear off round the world, and they would. Choose to live the life thats right for you and your wife and your other kids - you wont be able to turn back time, and one day it will be too late.

Better to regret something you have done than something you havent. :thumbup:

(and you can always come back :p)

quoll Mar 31st 2008 8:22 pm

Re: borderline insanity

One hesitates to say it but you will get used to it. One of mine went back to live in UK - went back for a gap year nearly 6 years ago and never came back (cant say that I blame him) because career and lifestyle were all better for him there. Kids leave you anyway and have their own lives to live. I am lucky if I get a sms from mine once a month, thank goodness his girlfriend keeps me in touch with what is going on slightly more regularly! You cant live your life through your kids and they wouldnt thank you for trying to do that anyway. If Aus is what is floating your boat then get on with it.