Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Booze in your container?

Wikiposts

Booze in your container?

Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about
Default Booze in your container?

Hello all,

just doing inventory and dont think I will drink it all before we pack. Did any of you put any booze in your containers? If so did you get stung for customs/gst?

Im not talking loads, just about a dozen bottles of spirits & wine mixed, I deffos dont fancy paying duty though, and Masons seem pretty sure I will get stung.

You experiences please!

Mr HugoB
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:04 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all
Default Re: Booze in your container?

Can't help really except that our shippers said NO, just not worth it
Good excuse to finish it off one night with some friends
Carole
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Send it to me I'lltake care of it for you
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It has been done before - there are a couple of threads somewhere. Think they did have some duty involved though
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:32 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HugoB
Hello all,

just doing inventory and dont think I will drink it all before we pack. Did any of you put any booze in your containers? If so did you get stung for customs/gst?

Im not talking loads, just about a dozen bottles of spirits & wine mixed, I deffos dont fancy paying duty though, and Masons seem pretty sure I will get stung.

You experiences please!

Mr HugoB
We were told by some container companies that alcoholic drinks were not aloud, I think it had to do with insurance, ie if you had the bottles break over your furniture that would not be covered, and customs will sting you anyway.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Try this :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303678
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Hi there

We brought over some bottles of port that my hubby collects?? We could bring in four bottles but had to pay duty on the others, fortunately customs were not aware of their value but we still had to pay about $40 for 3 bottles.

Lindsey
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:56 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I shipped my collection of Malt Whikky in my container, knowing Aussie Customs' ability to sniff out any contraband I decleared it and paid $80 duty on about 12 bottles, mostly opened and partially consumed.

To give you an idea of how good they are, the removals guys packed my vegemite and a jar of blackberry jam I had put to one side and they packed by mistake, they found them so don't risk not declaring it's there. The chances are they will get you if you don't.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:41 pm
Meow!

TigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud of

We didnt bring any..

We gave away loads to family and friends..sad for us but they enjoyed it!

As well as the risk of being hit with duty there is always the risk of something leaking or breaking. I was more concerned with the latter tbh.

Good luck,
TF
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:49 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

You experiences please!

Mr HugoB
I would think that if you could prove you have owned the booze for more than one year, and its for personal consumption, and doesnt contain cones or xmas decorations, or is in a wicker basket .

Then YES sod it lol
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:50 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
I shipped my collection of Malt Whikky in my container, knowing Aussie Customs' ability to sniff out any contraband I decleared it and paid $80 duty on about 12 bottles, mostly opened and partially consumed.

To give you an idea of how good they are, the removals guys packed my vegemite and a jar of blackberry jam I had put to one side and they packed by mistake, they found them so don't risk not declaring it's there. The chances are they will get you if you don't.
True but wouldnt it also be on the inventory created by the packers ?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

You experiences please!

Mr HugoB
I did, a collection of all sorts, all declared ....and paid no duty.

I suppose it depends if they think you are going to sell it or keep it for your own consumption.

Take it, you'll be right