Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boondall / Bracken Ridge / Taigum

Boondall / Bracken Ridge / Taigum

Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:41 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Boondall / Bracken Ridge / Taigum

Hi all,

We're looking to move north of the river within commutable distance to the airport. We were looking at North Lakes/Mango Hill as we've heard "good things" about these areas. However, I've brought my search a little closer to the airport and found I can get a bit closer for the same money/property size/type. However, I'm unsure of the areas. I would be grateful for peoples opinions.

Hope some of you can help.

Emma
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:43 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boondall / Bracken Ridge / Taigum

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
North Lakes/Mango Hill as we've heard "good things" about these areas.
Who from

I think I would pick those areas over North lakes.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:41 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Hence the inverted commas, I hear it's a bit of a love or hate area but to me it sounds like we would probably like. I have no issue with densly built up legoland areas, I've lived in those types of places most of my life and I think I'd probably be more comfortable somewhere like that.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

So what is good about Bracken Ridge etc? If we can't get work where we want to move we may end up in Brisbane and even though we've visited we didn't get a really good look at all the suburbs.

What are these areas like? What about Lawnton, Strathpine etc?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:13 am
Mauled by the Tigers

Willerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by themerlin
Who from

I think I would pick those areas over North lakes.
Unfortunately i think there is some snobbery regarding North Lakes, we have found it to be quite good so far.

Maybe the only downside is the small plots with a lot of the houses, but that all depends on the price you are willing to pay.

All the people seem quite nice as well, they dont try and appear better than others!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:32 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure you could call it snobbery because north lakes is more expensive.

Lots of people just don't like the master plan community thing, reminds me of the new towns back in the UK.

Originally Posted by Willerby_brisbane
Unfortunately i think there is some snobbery regarding North Lakes
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:34 am

True but I think it's more of an issue over here becuase the houses have thinner walls and the windows are open most of the time so you can really hear each other.

I have no issue with densly built up legoland areas, I've lived in those types of places most of my life and I think I'd probably be more comfortable somewhere like that.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Daka is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Bracken Ridge is fine - I would say it is an average suburb. It has a mix of older and newer housing, a couple state primary schools and two local shopping areas. Close to Bald Hills railway station. Commute to city, driving is about 30 minutes. Taigum is also OK but seems to have a number of retirement villages and townhouse complexes.

Strathpine and Lawnton are mostly older housing. Westfield shopping centre, cinema, train station etc at Strathpine. I would say it is a useful place but not particularly attractive.

If you like the newer housing estates you could look at Warner Lakes.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Hi all,

We're looking to move north of the river within commutable distance to the airport. We were looking at North Lakes/Mango Hill as we've heard "good things" about these areas. However, I've brought my search a little closer to the airport and found I can get a bit closer for the same money/property size/type. However, I'm unsure of the areas. I would be grateful for peoples opinions.

Hope some of you can help.

Emma
Hi Fluffy,

We rented on North Lakes when we first arrived 3 years ago, and found it to be lovely. Granted, there are some who just don't like new estates/masterplanned developments etc, and that is fine - each to their own. But for us, the move over here was sooo huge, that we wanted something which felt within our comfort zone to a certain extent and NL fitted the bill - we were there 1 year before building on Halpine Lake at Mango Hill and we absolutely love the area. The area as you probably know is full of beautiful new buildings, parks, cycle routes, choice of schools (with more being built as we speak). There's so much happening in the area with a new business park being built and hundreds of small businesses starting up in NL. Its great for the kids, most cycle to school and there's always lots of children around on the parks playing, so good for kids when they get to this sort of age. Our son loved the freedom he felt he had on NL in comparisonto being back in the UK, where we daren't let him go to the local park. There's always something going on - Movies by the Lake, Farmers Markets, Fitness Boot Camps, Concerts in the Park etc - we've seen lots of other areas in Brisbane, and I don't wish I had settled anywhere else.

Bracken Ridge - there's some nice houses there, but older style, Taigum and Boondall are older suburbs too, bit dated with less of a community feel to them. Strathpine and Lawnton again older and in my opinion, not so desirable. Looking at the ages of your kids I don't think you would go far wrong with a newer suburb - NL, Mango Hill, yes Warner is nice, Albany Creek.

Hope all goes well for you - they're such hard decisions to make arent they
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Annie_ is a jewel in the roughAnnie_ is a jewel in the roughAnnie_ is a jewel in the roughAnnie_ is a jewel in the roughAnnie_ is a jewel in the rough

I live at Bracken Ridge - it's ok, we are in a new development, of which there are quite a few going up, so certainly not all older housing.
The schools at BR dont have a great reputation - my boys go to school at Aspley (10 mins away).

The prices here are reasonable and I get to work in the city in around 30 mins, driving from North Lakes would take a lot longer...