Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boomeranging - how to choose between Melbourne and Sydney

Boomeranging - how to choose between Melbourne and Sydney

Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boomeranging - how to choose between Melbourne and Sydney

Originally Posted by Wirral_girl
I have lived in all four places: Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney. Perth was the first place I came to 35 years ago. I was extremely shocked when I found out the distance from any other city and never came to terms with it. When you live in the Eastern states, Perth doesn't exist. I have lived in Brisbane for 20 years, not really from choice. Brisbane takes a long time to get used to. It is NOT near any beaches, you have to drive to the Gold Coast, or the Sunshine Coast. I don't like the Gold Coast, it has no atmosphere in my opinion. I think there should be more cafes facing the beach and promenading, like the South of France but the hotels have all been built right on the beach and there are no cafes. Brisbane is a sub-tropical climate so very hot and humid in summer. It goes dark at 6pm all year round give or take an hour or so. There is no daylight saving. I have never been able to work out what Brisbane people live on. For career development, it is better to live in Sydney or Melbourne, depending on your industry. I live in Melbourne for 5 years which I really loved but found the weather a shock after Brisbane. I found I was more active in Melbourne, walking and so forth. However I wouldn't swim in Port Phillip Bay although some people do, it is better to go down the Morningside Peninsula. If you like France and Europe, you will like Melbourne. It has loads of style and character. However Melbourne people are not as friendly as Brisbane. Sydney is great fun. Somebody said if you like LA you will love Sydney. I haven't been to LA so can't say. The weather is lovely in Sydney, it is not as humid as Brisbane IMO and is always a few degrees cooler. The problem in Sydney is the traffic. There are no straight roads to drive anywhere an it takes ages to get anywhere. If you don't live by the beach, it can take hours to get there. There is no train to the airport for some unknown reason, you have to drive. I could never work out where the airport was and always got a taxi. I found the cost of living in Sydney to be cheaper than Melbourne and Brisbane except for RENT. I won't cover the cost of housing in Melbourne and Sydney. Brisbane is however cheaper. If I had my time over I would have come to Sydney first off and bought a house near to the beach but my ex was from Perth and thought it was gods-own. Sydney is still a desirable lifestyle which I wouldn't mind a bit.
Let me bring you up to speed there. The airport has a train.

Underground motorways are being built everywhere so beach access for the westies should improve. Mind you, traffic increase will probably make beach access just as bad for the westies. On a good run, you can get from Liverpool to Maroubra Beach in 20 minutes today. But, if you live in Liverpool you might as well live in Brisbane.

Yes housing is more expensive in Sydney and everything else cheaper. Go figure.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

If you like France and Europe, you will like Melbourne.
It's nothing like France at all, I lived im Brussels and commuted regularly to Paris for work and struggle to think of anything similar in Melbourne.

It likes to think of itself as European but it really isn't, most influence comes from Southern European countries - particularly Greek and Italian, but it's nothing like them either.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Wirral_girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, mistype, it's Melbourne that doesn't have a train to the airport, but it does have a rectangular grid system of its roads so easier to get around.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 9:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, mistype, it's Melbourne that doesn't have a train to the airport, but it does have a rectangular grid system of its roads so easier to get around.
Completely and shamelessly off topic, but where on the Wirral are you from? I'm in New Brighton, love it.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Completely and shamelessly off topic, but where on the Wirral are you from? I'm in New Brighton, love it.
Thread derail alert.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Thread derail alert.
Sometimes I just break loose. Better than breaking wind, I suppose.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sometimes I just break loose. Better than breaking wind, I suppose.
Both is good. It keeps it interesting.