Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boom Or Bust - Housing

Wikiposts

Boom Or Bust - Housing

Old Jun 12th 2003, 12:43 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by etlniwd
That is correct. Are you saying that all the weather sites are wrong ?

I haven't brought my personal preferences into this debate. I am just giving people the facts so that they can make up their own minds

Wrong. They are MAXIMUMS. To be precise they are MEAN DAILY MAXIMUMS. Brisbane is reknowned for having very constant weather. Last summer the temperature peaked at 29 degrees on most days. Occasionally it peaked at 28 and occasionally at 30. Very rarely did the max occur outside these limits.

The 'TOP' temps you quote (39.6 etc) are the maximums of all time. These are pretty meaningless figures as they occur extremely rarely. The maximum temp ever reached in the UK is 37 degrees. now would you suggest people don't live there because
it is too hot ?
[/QUOTE]

There is a disclaimer on this site you quote to understand what mean average means before you try and understand what is being reported - Mean = average - you are quoting a site that gives the 'average' max temperature for the whole month - this means there ARE higher temperature recorded during the whole month.

Can you check your facts - next you will be telling me I do not get temps of 35+ here in Sydney inland can be much much higher
Old Jun 12th 2003, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Mean is not the same as Average. And well done, a nominal value can be higher or lower than the average for the series (or even the mean for that matter).

That max data is not from the year 2000 by the way. It is the all-time records for that station.

Anyway I've had enough of this thread. Personally I love the Brisbane weather. I've never been anywhere with such a perfect climate. Some of you don't like it and that is your choice. But please don't distort the facts. If you think the facts point to unbearable weather for yourselves then so be it. Let people judge for themselves. If I'd paid any attention to some of the crap I read on here before I emigrated then I probably wouldn't have come.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
Can you please explain the difference between mean and average?
And there was me thinking you were edumacated Florida - disappointed to learn that you don`t know the difference between `mean`, `mode` and `median`!!!
Old Jun 12th 2003, 2:53 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Can you please explain the difference between mean and average?

The "average" has no specific statistical meaning, as there are many forms of averaging such as the mean, median, mode, midrange, mean, among others.

Unfortunately the common acceptance in the general population is that "average" is another name for arithmetic mean (if you said arithmetic mean, most of the population would not know what you meant until you said "average"). You can argue otherwise, but conventional use is that and to mean otherwise invites only confusion with no advantage or useful resolution. Technically - avoid using the word "average" to avoid confusion and if someone says average in everyday life, assume they mean "arithmetic mean". Cheers:lecture:

So really it is not that clear unless stated each time the word is used - the site made me believe that for its purposes mean was meaning our normal understanding of 'average' - which is total of all items divided by the number of items.

Old Jun 12th 2003, 2:57 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by etlniwd
Mean is not the same as Average. And well done, a nominal value can be higher or lower than the average for the series (or even the mean for that matter).

That max data is not from the year 2000 by the way. It is the all-time records for that station.

Anyway I've had enough of this thread. Personally I love the Brisbane weather. I've never been anywhere with such a perfect climate. Some of you don't like it and that is your choice. But please don't distort the facts. If you think the facts point to unbearable weather for yourselves then so be it. Let people judge for themselves. If I'd paid any attention to some of the crap I read on here before I emigrated then I probably wouldn't have come.
The point is not that peapole are slagging off the temp of Brisbane - personally I like the weather here, but you are trying to say that it does not get hotter than 29c. Which is a joke! You've only been in Brisbane what a couple of months (this summer wasn't it?) This summer has been quite cool compared to previous years here

Past summers we have had mid 30's and one year about two years ago I think it was it reached into the low 40's , it was a stonker of a summer - it was too hot to stay indoors - Chip shops and pubs etc down the front at Manly stayed open late for once as everyone flocked to be near the sea in the night - it was hot.

Look ask any Australian in Brisbane about it, ask your Australian work mates, neighbours etc. You are not willing to accept that it gets over 29 here - every year it will go into the 30's - 29c is a cool summer.

Geeze , and as Sandra says Sydney gets well into the 30's as well, as I do very well know - I used to live down in Newcastle, couple hours drive outside Sydney - and they also get 34c etc weather during the summer.

Nobody is trying to slag off the weather, but you must accept that we have above 29c ever summer. Are you really here in Brisbane or what? I find it hard to believe you are here when you say such a thing as it only reaches 29c

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 12th 2003 at 3:06 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sandra
The "average" has no specific statistical meaning, as there are many forms of averaging such as the mean, median, mode, midrange, mean, among others.

Unfortunately the common acceptance in the general population is that "average" is another name for arithmetic mean (if you said arithmetic mean, most of the population would not know what you meant until you said "average"). You can argue otherwise, but conventional use is that and to mean otherwise invites only confusion with no advantage or useful resolution. Technically - avoid using the word "average" to avoid confusion and if someone says average in everyday life, assume they mean "arithmetic mean". Cheers:lecture:

So really it is not that clear unless stated each time the word is used - the site made me believe that for its purposes mean was meaning our normal understanding of 'average' - which is total of all items divided by the number of items.

This is also my understanding: mean, median, mode are all averages, but, as you say, when people say 'the average' they generally mean the mean. I know this because of a liking for maths. You like maths or something like it? Unusual for a woman to like maths (do not mean to be sexist, just a statistical truth?)
Old Jun 12th 2003, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

How do you figure that??? I asked someone their understanding of the difference between average and mean.

Q. What is the difference between average, mean, median, and mode?
A.:
Mean is one kind of average. It is computed by summing the values and dividing by the number of values. Two other common forms of averages are the mode and the median. The mode is the frequently occurring value in a set. The median is the middle value of the set when they are ordered by rank.

Average is a synonym for arithmetic mean -- which is the value obtained by dividing the sum of a set of quantities by the number of quantities in the set.

now bugger off.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 3:18 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by Wilf
This is also my understanding: mean, median, mode are all averages, but, as you say, when people say 'the average' they generally mean the mean. I know this because of a liking for maths. You like maths or something like it? Unusual for a woman to like maths (do not mean to be sexist, just a statistical truth?)

Find me the statistics - probably a load of old bull like most figures open to alot of interpretation!!!! hee hee

Yes I love maths, I work in my dream job designing payroll systems - all the figures and details I have to work with here is brilliant.

Cheers
Old Jun 12th 2003, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sandra
Find me the statistics - probably a load of old bull like most figures open to alot of interpretation!!!! hee hee

Yes I love maths, I work in my dream job designing payroll systems - all the figures and details I have to work with here is brilliant.

Cheers
I will show this to my wife who does not believe that anyone except the old git she is saddled with likes maths.

I am very glad to hear you have your dream job in Oz. Rarer than lady mathematicians?
Old Jun 12th 2003, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
The point is not that peapole are slagging off the temp of Brisbane - personally I like the weather here, but you are trying to say that it does not get hotter than 29c. Which is a joke!
When did I ever say that. Please, please could you people (or peapole) read the posts properly before you comment.

This is getting so tedious.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 9:58 pm
Badge

Nick I know where you are coming from. Talking about MEANS, not maximums.

Everybody is "right".

Technically, London probably is more humid than Brissy at times But in real terms, Brissy will of course seem hotter. esp to a Brit not acclimitised.

Give me 30 in Brissy over 25 in London any day. Thinking back to meterology there are all sorts of variables that make temperatures seem worse or better than they actually are - dewpoint index, etc

temp avs as published are so misleading - eg. the way London summer is 19 degrees - when often it CAN be 22 -25.

Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dotty
No No No, Nick/Etinwind has been telling everyone Brisbanes top summer temp is 29degrees!!!!!!!!!

Who am I to disagree he he he
Mrs D mentioned my amusement at the famous argument Ceri and I had convincing people that Bris got hot in summer Just found this thread worth a giggle
Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:17 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Must be very cool in SE Qld today:
Attached Thumbnails Boom Or Bust - Housing-isothermic.gif  
Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Megalania
Must be very cool in SE Qld today:
Dont know about ISOsqwarks but its 37 on the thermometer:

Last edited by dotty; Feb 19th 2004 at 3:35 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dotty
Dont know about ISOsqwarks but its 37 on the thermometer:
Its only 33 on mine, but then i'm nearer the water

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.