Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Books for children about migrating

Books for children about migrating

Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Books for children about migrating

Hi

Can anyone recommend any books to explain about the big move to young children. I'm sure I remember reading something about this but it was ages ago, I've done a search and can't find anything.

Prepared myself to talk to my children tonight, made it all sound exciting and lots of fun.......... and my 5 year old almost cried and said he just wants to go for a holiday and not to live, so my 3 year old copied and said she doesn't want to go either. Not how I imagined it would go at all! I must have messed it up somehow

Anyway - books - can anyone recommend anything??

Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books for children about migrating

Originally Posted by milliewoos
Hi

Can anyone recommend any books to explain about the big move to young children. I'm sure I remember reading something about this but it was ages ago, I've done a search and can't find anything.

Prepared myself to talk to my children tonight, made it all sound exciting and lots of fun.......... and my 5 year old almost cried and said he just wants to go for a holiday and not to live, so my 3 year old copied and said she doesn't want to go either. Not how I imagined it would go at all! I must have messed it up somehow

Thanks
Would like to know what's on offer too!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all

I don't know about any books!

What I can say is that we first started talking about when our daughter was five (she's nearly 9 now), and we've had a bad time about it.

We have good days and bad days now (we hope to go this August), and it's to be expected as she's getting quite close to her school pals.

Try doing a project, get a scrapbook and brochures and learn about kangaroos etc....try to make it exciting for them in that way.
They are young and will most probably settle quicker than you!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:36 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

My daughter was 3.5 when we moved. We bought this book and read it to her often before moving day.

http://www.amazon.com/Berenstain-Bea.../dp/0394848381

We got the paperback version though. You'll also notice on the page it says "customer who bought this item also looked at", you'll find lots of interesting books there too.

The only hard part for us was that we didn't bring any of our things with us (like the book explained). So we had to say she'd be getting lots of new things when we moved. She quite liked the idea of new stuff
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Now I feel like a bad mummy - DD was 2.5 when we emigrated and we didn't really explain where we were going - she just knew we were moving house

I found that DD settled far quicker than DH & I - she was happy as long as she had her favourite cuddly toy with her!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

lossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nice

Hi

Thanks
have you thought about putting a scrap book together it can be a project for all the family and it means the children are getting involved,it might work, am lucky when i told our 8 yr we are moving to settle down he got excitied and was telling all his friends, he can't wait i think it easier for him because he has moved around with the forces and doesn't see close family that often it makes it slightly easier.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. I really didn't expect him not to be excited, I thought because of their age they'd just be happy to try a new adventure.
You've come up with some good ideas to try - and I'm just about to have a look for a similar book on UK Amazon too.
(And I'll keep hunting for those other books I read about, it was probably 18 months or more since though - will post link if I find it)
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

We attend an expo and our 3 all got a book from one of the removal companys. I think it was orange!! - anyway, they gave us one each so we've got 3 (somewhere!!) I'll have a look over the weekend and come back to you.

Shelley
Old Mar 15th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much!

One lovely lady from BE has sent me some pics of her child having a great time in Australia, so I'm going to show them later and have another chat about it

If I think this is bad - just wait for my parents!! I wonder if they do books for parents too.........
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheli0508
We attend an expo and our 3 all got a book from one of the removal companys. I think it was orange!! - anyway, they gave us one each so we've got 3 (somewhere!!) I'll have a look over the weekend and come back to you.

Shelley
Hi Shelley
Any chance you can get back to me too? Will help 3 year old son no end I think
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:49 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Here's a link to my blog, I've got lots of pictures on there of the kids having fun. Lots of them at the zoo or at theme parks or the ocean. All the photo albums are on the right. My kids are aged 4 and 18 months.

http://haleyculver.spaces.live.com/?lc=4105

Don't mind the picture of the giant snow pile, I found that on the Canada board and I thought I'd share it with our family back in Canada. You definitely won't find that here.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:06 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Thanks

We got a great book called "Are we there yet??" was great for the 3 & 7 year old!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by comet555
Here's a link to my blog, I've got lots of pictures on there of the kids having fun. Lots of them at the zoo or at theme parks or the ocean. All the photo albums are on the right. My kids are aged 4 and 18 months.

http://haleyculver.spaces.live.com/?lc=4105

Don't mind the picture of the giant snow pile, I found that on the Canada board and I thought I'd share it with our family back in Canada. You definitely won't find that here.
That's great - thanks very much, great pics by the way! They made me feel excited about going again.

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
We got a great book called "Are we there yet??" was great for the 3 & 7 year old!
Thank you! I've ordered this and a couple of others off Amazon now, a Wombat one and a Possum one
We'll be Australia focused from now till summer at bedtime story time!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:55 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

That's great - thanks very much, great pics by the way! They made me feel excited about going again.

Thank you! I've ordered this and a couple of others off Amazon now, a Wombat one and a Possum one
We'll be Australia focused from now till summer at bedtime story time!
Glad you got it, great book my kids still read it now we are here!!