Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Books for children

Books for children

Old Jan 9th 2005, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

beach bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Books for children

Over Christmas my husband and I told our 2 children about our move to Oz this year. My 6 year old has now noted all our reading about Oz and the hours I spend on the computer surfing the web for info and being on this forum. She has asked if she can have some books so that she can read up too. Problem is is that I haven't seen any books or websites aimed at the younger child that can give them the sort of information a 6 year old, soon to be an Oz immigrant, would like to know. Can anyone suggest anything that might suit? Have had a look on Amazon but not really had too much success.

Thanks

BB
Old Jan 9th 2005, 10:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books for children

Hi BB

Can't help you with a "proper" book - brilliant idea btw, but I can let you have a copy of a booklet I have picked up on my travels - last Aus Expo in London - which is called "Australia - A Children's Guide". I was given two and both my girls 9 and 12 have read it and it is possibly a bit young for them. Anyway if you want it, it's yours, just pm me your address and I will pop it in the post.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hi BB

Can't help you with a "proper" book - brilliant idea btw, but I can let you have a copy of a booklet I have picked up on my travels - last Aus Expo in London - which is called "Australia - A Children's Guide". I was given two and both my girls 9 and 12 have read it and it is possibly a bit young for them. Anyway if you want it, it's yours, just pm me your address and I will pop it in the post.
Yes I'd love a copy, many thanks Moneypen20. Maybe there's a book that needs writing by someone - sure there's a big market with all us on the forum who have children.
Have sent you a pm.

BB
Old Jan 9th 2005, 10:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beach bound
Yes I'd love a copy, many thanks Moneypen20. Maybe there's a book that needs writing by someone - sure there's a big market with all us on the forum who have children.
Have sent you a pm.

BB
No probs, will post tomorrow. Great address btw
Old Jan 9th 2005, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

No probs, will post tomorrow. Great address btw
The address will be better when it says 'Australia' on it
Old Jan 10th 2005, 11:37 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Over Christmas my husband and I told our 2 children about our move to Oz this year. My 6 year old has now noted all our reading about Oz and the hours I spend on the computer surfing the web for info and being on this forum. She has asked if she can have some books so that she can read up too. Problem is is that I haven't seen any books or websites aimed at the younger child that can give them the sort of information a 6 year old, soon to be an Oz immigrant, would like to know. Can anyone suggest anything that might suit? Have had a look on Amazon but not really had too much success.

Thanks

BB
Does her school know she is going? My daughter's schools have done projects on Australia (not sure whether that is a coincidence) which may help her and her classmates.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by worzel
Does her school know she is going? My daughter's schools have done projects on Australia (not sure whether that is a coincidence) which may help her and her classmates.
God forbid they do that at my youngest's school. A couple of her friends are crying at the very mention of Australia. On the one hand it's lovely to know she has really good friends who are going to miss her, on the other hand, she has been really positive up till now and if they start crying in front of her she might change her mind :scared:
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:56 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

God forbid they do that at my youngest's school. A couple of her friends are crying at the very mention of Australia. On the one hand it's lovely to know she has really good friends who are going to miss her, on the other hand, she has been really positive up till now and if they start crying in front of her she might change her mind :scared:
My daughter will be the second kid from her class to emigrate to Aus and there has been one emigrate to Spain and one move to Cornwall too so they are quite used to the idea. They probably think it is a version of musical chairs!!!
Old Jan 10th 2005, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Mr B is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

BB

Hello

We don't have any specific travel guides, but our boy (2 & 1/2 - younger I know) is finding about Aus animals etc from story books such as:
(a) kokey koala and the koala and the bush olympics (ISBN 187655320-0)
(b) little brown bushrat (ISBN 0-333-96083-1)
(c) possum creek's big flood (ISBN 187655312-X)

He also likes looking at the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness guides, as they have lots of pictures and images in them

Also did a search on Amazon on "Australia for Children" and there seem to be quite a few educational books. Here are some links - but don't know how good the books are! I guess you probably found these too though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...976817-8504644
Australia – World Tour Series

Nations of the World: Australia

Australia and Oceania

Australia (Next Stop Series)

Australia (Picture a Country series)

Hope this helps,
Andrew
Old Jan 10th 2005, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by worzel
This might be a good idea. One of her school friends has just returned from attending her uncle's wedding in Sydney and another has recently joined her class after returning from 2 years in Japan. I had told her teacher we were thinking of going but we didn't have our visa at the time so I might ask now if it's possible to cover something on the country.

Thanks for the thoughts.

BB
Old Jan 10th 2005, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr B
Hello

We don't have any specific travel guides, but our boy (2 & 1/2 - younger I know) is finding about Aus animals etc from story books such as:
(a) kokey koala and the koala and the bush olympics (ISBN 187655320-0)
(b) little brown bushrat (ISBN 0-333-96083-1)
(c) possum creek's big flood (ISBN 187655312-X)

He also likes looking at the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness guides, as they have lots of pictures and images in them

Also did a search on Amazon on "Australia for Children" and there seem to be quite a few educational books. Here are some links - but don't know how good the books are! I guess you probably found these too though.

Australia – World Tour Series

Nations of the World: Australia

Australia and Oceania

Australia (Next Stop Series)

Australia (Picture a Country series)

Hope this helps,
Andrew
Thanks Andrew

I have ordered some books from Amazon, including some of the ones you mention. Will see what they are like. There seems to be a few about to come out in print but will wait and see what the reviews say before ordering.

Thanks for looking

BB