Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Booking meds before requested (????)

Booking meds before requested (????)

Old May 3rd 2004, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

johnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the rough
Smile Booking meds before requested (????)

Hi all, want some advise please.

On this rainy May bank holiday I am thinking of how we can get to Perth quicker. Our application went in February, looking at the timeline site, does appear the normal wait is approx 6 -7 months, and then all being ok, you are requested to get your meds done.
I was thinking of booking our meds in August (school holiday time)
so that when asked I had them ready.
Any one got any advise on why this may not be a good idea?
What about the police checks? Are they requested around the same time? Should I organise these in advance too?

Thanks for your help
Old May 3rd 2004, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Booking meds before requested (????)

Hi there

We waited until our medicals and police certs were requested by DIMIA.

They give you 4 weeks from the date you receive the request to get it all done and back to them.

We raced around and got medicals and x-rays done within a week - nit nerve-racking really.

However, I sent off my police cert application and have received a letter after 10 days telling me it could be up to 40 days before I hear anything!!

This is a bit worrying. I contacted my case officer and explained that this (potential) delay was out of our control and hoped it wouldn't put a major spanner in the works.. He emailed back giving a one month extension.

If I had known it would be this nail-biting I would definitely have second-guessed their request and would have sent off for my police certificate at least. (This only costs £10 anyway).

If you aren't trying to squeeze every last day out of your initial 12 month validation period then I think it is probably worth getting the wheels put in motion sooner rather than later.

olive
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:22 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by johnkay

On this rainy May bank holiday I am thinking of how we can get to Perth quicker. Our application went in February, looking at the timeline site, does appear the normal wait is approx 6 -7 months, and then all being ok, you are requested to get your meds done.
What about the police checks? Are they requested around the same time? Should I organise these in advance too?

Thanks for your help
hi there..

i'm doing exactly the same thing and have my meds booked for june 7th, i already have had my police checks done and back. the results of the medicals are sent to me after the examination so i shall simply hang on to everything until i have the request from aspc, after which i'll send everything straight back to them!

my thoughts for doing this were exactly the same as yours. i figure it will save me 4 weeks waiting time (2-3 weeks once the meds are booked and then a week to get the results) if i get everything sorted before the request.... every day matters as far as i'm concerned!

fingers crossed eh?
Old May 3rd 2004, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

We did our medicals/police checks unrequested about 6-7 mths after receipt of our application. This worked rather well as they were requested a week after we posted them off. Save us some time. We received visa about 3 weeks later.

Mandy
Old May 3rd 2004, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help

This is exactly what we are doing, the only thing to be aware of is you have to validate within a year after the medicals so hope it all works out for you
Old May 3rd 2004, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

shol is an unknown quantity at this point

I just asked my agent wether we should obtain meds and police checks and he said no (which I was a bit surprised at to be honest)We have TRA approval,but havent forwarded visa app. yet as we are still collecting info from family(Designated sponsored)
If we were to get our meds and police checks,can anyone please advise us how to go about it ie what forms etc
Thanks
Steve Carol and 4 kids!
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

bored brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by shol
I just asked my agent wether we should obtain meds and police checks and he said no (which I was a bit surprised at to be honest)We have TRA approval,but havent forwarded visa app. yet as we are still collecting info from family(Designated sponsored)
If we were to get our meds and police checks,can anyone please advise us how to go about it ie what forms etc
Thanks
Steve Carol and 4 kids!

We havent even got our tra approval back yet and our agent told us to go ahead and book our meds and get police checks done so when the tra get back to us all being well in about2 weeks time we can front load the application thus saving a bit of time hopefully(Melbourne in Nov hopefully Designated sponsored) so it just goes to show you how these people think.I would get on to your agent and request the forms so you are ready for them when they request it.
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

shol is an unknown quantity at this point

Do we need special forms to get our meds and police cks done then?Advise please!
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

bored brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Do we need special forms to get our meds and police cks done then?Advise please!

Our agent sent them out to us but I think you can get the forms for your police checks from your local police station and the forms for the meds from the dimia website.
Good luck Paul
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Just a warning
If you are going to 'frontload' be aware that if for any reason you need to give a health undertaking then your time to validate will be reduced to six months from the date of the medical.

Make sure you get the timing right.

The consensus in the past has been, that for most visas, 'frontloading' does not give you any advantage.

Good luck anyway

G
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!!

just to reitterate what grayling said:

you have to know that everything is just 'so'.

You will probably see from our signature, that our timeline was EXTREMELY fast - we were very lucky.

We applied in November, sent our meds and pc's in january and got the PR visas in March!!!

We decided to take the risk, because we WERE impatient, because we were told that our meds were fine etc.

Theres nothing to say that it could have gone the other way........but it could have.

It's your decision.....good luck!

Last edited by steandleigh; May 3rd 2004 at 8:39 pm.
Old May 6th 2004, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

johnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Grayling
Just a warning
If you are going to 'frontload' be aware that if for any reason you need to give a health undertaking then your time to validate will be reduced to six months from the date of the medical.

Make sure you get the timing right.

The consensus in the past has been, that for most visas, 'frontloading' does not give you any advantage.

Good luck anyway

G

Got some positive response to my query - sounds like I am not the only one desperate to make the move.
Also interested to read yours as this is the sort of stuff I need to be aware of. What is a 'Health Undertaking' - is this if you have any medical problems - they need to keep a check on?
Thanks for your help
Old May 6th 2004, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scutterUK
hi there..

i'm doing exactly the same thing and have my meds booked for june 7th, i already have had my police checks done and back. the results of the medicals are sent to me after the examination so i shall simply hang on to everything until i have the request from aspc, after which i'll send everything straight back to them!

Scutter.think youll find the doctor sends the meds off....he doesnt hand them over to you at all........
Old May 6th 2004, 10:59 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link:

http://www.brisbane-bound.com/documents/medical_req.pdf

and

http://www.brisbane-bound.com/documents/doctors.pdf

<my site so should be upto date
Old May 6th 2004, 12:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Got some positive response to my query - sounds like I am not the only one desperate to make the move.
Also interested to read yours as this is the sort of stuff I need to be aware of. What is a 'Health Undertaking' - is this if you have any medical problems - they need to keep a check on?
Thanks for your help
Yes
It means that you will be required to have the problem followed up in Australia.
I am not sure what conditions this may apply to. Someone else may have more information.

Good luck

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.