British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bonus points for language. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bonus-points-language-112190/)

Elsie Oct 3rd 2002 6:02 am

Bonus points for language.

Please can some one help; I'm getting more and more worried about whether my PR will now be rejected!

The story is that I applied for skilled independent claiming 5 bonus points for MODL. Now that the MODL list has changed I expect that I will be loosing those bonus points.

I am originally from Denmark and speak Danish fluently, so my question is: how do you qualify to get the bonus points for a foreign language?

Though I was born and brought up in Denmark and have A-level education, I don't have a Danish degree as I studied abroad, and I'm obviously not a professional translator.

I know it says in the guideline that you need to have a degree in the community language, but surely being from that country and being 100% fluent in the relevant language is enough??

Many thanks in advance,

Elsie.

ptlabs Oct 3rd 2002 6:27 am

Re: Bonus points for language.

Originally posted by Elsie:
I am originally from Denmark and speak Danish fluently, so my question is: how do you qualify to get the bonus points for a foreign language?

Though I was born and brought up in Denmark and have A-level education, I don't have a Danish degree as I studied abroad, and I'm obviously not a professional translator.

I know it says in the guideline that you need to have a degree in the community language, but surely being from that country and being 100% fluent in the relevant language is enough??

Unfortunately, being a native from a country that speaks the community language alone is insufficient. If that were the case, almost every migrant will be entitled to the 5 bonus points, won't they?

The Skilled Migration Booklet 6 (which I believe you would have a copy in your possession since you've applied for migration already) spells out what's needed to get the 5 bonus points:

1) A degree that's equivalent to an Australian bachelor's degree that is taught in the community language.

OR

2) A NAATI Level 3 interpreter/translator assessment.

These are the only two avenues for anyone to claim the 5 bonus points for community languages.

Peter

Elsie Oct 3rd 2002 6:56 am

Originally posted by ptlabs:

Unfortunately, being a native from a country that speaks the community language alone is insufficient. If that were the case, almost every migrant will be entitled to the 5 bonus points, won't they?

The Skilled Migration Booklet 6 (which I believe you would have a copy in your possession since you've applied for migration already) spells out what's needed to get the 5 bonus points:

1) A degree that's equivalent to an Australian bachelor's degree that is taught in the community language.

OR

2) A NAATI Level 3 interpreter/translator assessment.

These are the only two avenues for anyone to claim the 5 bonus points for community languages.

Peter

Thanks for your swift reply, and for confirming what I already know. However, it seems to me that most immigrants are native English speakers, and therefore most people would not be entitled to claim the bonus points...

ptlabs Oct 3rd 2002 6:59 am

> Originally posted by Elsie:
> However, it seems to me that most immigrants are native English speakers,

Most, but not all :) I'm not a native English speaker...

> and therefore most people would not be entitled to claim the bonus points...

Most people (including myself) are simply too lazy to go through the hassle of sitting for the NAATI Level 3 test. And apparently, it's not easy to pass.

Peter