Bondi is ***p

Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bondi is ***p

Lots of people criticise Bondi. I personally think it is great people knock the place as it keeps them out of here. For all of you Bondi haters here is your opportunity to knock Bondi and help me keep the crowds down.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:52 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bondi is ***p

Originally posted by bondipom
Lots of people criticise Bondi. I personally think it is great people knock the place as it keeps them out of here. For all of you Bondi haters here is your opportunity to knock Bondi and help me keep the crowds down.
Because it is full of Brits!
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:54 am
Badge

Default Re: Bondi is ***p

it's OK!! It's a gold standard by which to measure Sydney public beaches for sure. One of the most famous beaches in the world. Just preferred Coogee that's all. Years ago - well in the 1970s they - Coogee- Marouba-Bondi were working class suburbs which are now posh.

For me, in the nicest possible way, it was spoilt by too many Brit backpackers but what do you expect?

;-)

where are u living in Bondi and where are u working?

badgers

Old Sep 11th 2003, 10:18 am

I live at the south end of the beach a couple of blocks behind the Tratt. There are plenty of English there but the back packers are getting priced out of the area. I mainly go out with Aussies and the odd pom.

Australia is full of Brits especially as we are the largest immigrant group. Coogee is like a mini pom ghetto but I like walking there. Shame the swell is flat.

I think if people ventured off the bit of Campbell Parade around where Maccas, burger king and the Bondi Hotel is they would be pleasantly surprised. Bondi has a reputation for a backpacker, kiwi dole bludger and hippie hangout but the TV program the block has ruined that illusion. Shame as it has increased property whilst I am saving for a deposit.

I want the reputation to return but alas I might have to buy elsewhere. I enjoy the very laid back atmosphere (tune in to 88 bondi fm if you are there). It may take 45 minutes to get a burger at le Paris Go but it is an amazing burger. There is also Gertrude and Alice's where you can drink coffee and read the second hand books for sale.

If you like kebabs there is Sabbaba's which challenges for the best in the world. They bake their own Pita Breads. The Mrs hates the after effects. Festival of the Winds this weekend.

Other good places to eat include Mojos tapas bar (great atmosphere and cheap wine)

Sean's Panorama (Pricey but rated as having some of the best food in Sydney) The food is worth the money.

Just Thai, Lauries Vegetarian, Indian Diner and Burgerman are also great for a bite.

I work out at Auburn which is a bit of a treck but against traffic but you takes what you get in IT these days.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 10:35 am
Badge

ah the memories!!! I was there for all of September 2002. I was working in North Sydney at the time, and it was the only time I spent any time with Brits the entire year I was there. I used to cringe at the Brit accents as I got on the bus from Bondi junction. I found also it was always the Brits that were loudest on their mobile phones.

The Coffee bars are nice. Robert Barratt mentions them specifically in his books.

We went to Coyotes for the backpacker specials sometimes. The two barmaids would set the bar on fire every nght and do a little dance.. have to admit it was not every night for me.

I used to do the run from Bondi to Coogee a fair bit at about 7am. When my mate came over we both did it. There and back with my rucksack - didn't want to leave it out of my sight!!

badgers

Old Sep 11th 2003, 10:39 am

Coyotes is no more. The bus sounds more like Dublin to me. I know what you mean by the mobiles. The local users of public transport are far scarier. There are some extreme nuts in Sydney.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:38 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Not a Bondi Hater - just not a Bondi Lover

Maybe I am a middle aged fart with kids - I hate beaches with shops and attractions. If I had to go to a commercial beach area I like Manly. Best Beaches for me are North Shore of Course, Narabeen for the quieter days. Mona Vale - with its total lack of single place to buy anything!

Cheers
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:46 pm

North shore beaches are quieter. Manly is OK except for the poisonous water coming out of the North End. I am still wondering what the "Attractions are at Bondi".

Someone slag this place off as the comments are not harsh enough to keep people away.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Bondi and Coogee are for sure better in the winter when there are hardly any backpackers. Its not Brits I dislike (I am one after all), but backpackers have the capacity to really get on your nerves after a while, and a while would be anything more than 2 minutes.
They seem to me to be almost global trainspotters always out to better each other with their dull tales of what is always the same journey to Sydney. How they did it tough (on mummy and daddys credit card). yawn.

Bondi does have good grub thats for sure, but I did prefer the pub when it was just a pub.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:57 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

North shore beaches are quieter. Manly is OK except for the poisonous water coming out of the North End. I am still wondering what the "Attractions are at Bondi".

Someone slag this place off as the comments are not harsh enough to keep people away.
Atrraction to 11 year old and 13 year old are shops! Surfing Shops - with overpriced stuff, shops that sell ice cream, overpriced snacks etc etc

I like quiet beaches where I can unpack esky, use rug and not spend money for length of stay!

Cheers
Old Sep 12th 2003, 12:07 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

OK, Its for the shlip-shloping gelati licking vacuous.

The tits are perkier at Bronte Beach.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 12:34 am

White pointer season hasn't started yet. I find Bronte more family orientated. The scary beach is glamarama. G string thongs on blokes aren't my thing.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll stick to my local beach at maroubra - lots of empty sand, great waves, only 1 cafe on the beach and NO backpacker hostels.

its a winner

no what you mean about glamarama, there are some seriously odd folk there. just because you've got a load of money doesn;t mean you look cool in a gstring if you're a fella.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 12:52 am

I may check out the Bra soon, but I like the local cafes and food (except the Maccas strip). I keep meaning to try the surf at the toilet bowl (I know it has been cleaned up now) but the 5 mins walk here is just too convenient for me.

How is that infant that was bashed in Maroubra? Have they find out who knocked off the standover man?
Old Sep 12th 2003, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I lsot touch with that story a bit - it was a nasty one.
But I felt the press making Maroubra out to be a bit like the Bronx were a bit off to the mark to put it mildly.

Sure, Maroubra is a little rough about the edges compared to other Eastern Suburbs spots, but I think its all the better for it (thats not saying we need more bashings, just that I like the non-touristy aspect to it).
The surfers are rumoured to be a bit over protective of their patch, but frankly I've never found that to be the case.

Incidentally they run a good surf school there too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.