Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boats & Boating in Brisbane (or elsewhere!).

Boats & Boating in Brisbane (or elsewhere!).

Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:13 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boats & Boating in Brisbane (or elsewhere!).

Thought it would be easier to start a new thread for those people interested in info about boating rather than taking over the other thread. Also other people might be interested as well .

Firstly from the other thread about Brisbane , some responses.

Originally posted by tinaj
Mrs Dagboy, It looks like life is really hard for you out there in Brissie!!

I can't wait to join you in the boat membership club. Out of interest how much did the boat cost? pm if you want to keep it secret!!

I don't know how you can afford it on the pitiful wages everyone earns out there lol
I know, its shocking isn't it tina, but then someones got to do it LOL . No seriously, I do have to expalin a few things. We just bought our boat & yes, we paid cash for it, but the money came from my mums will as she died earlier this year. Not the way most people would like to have money to spare, I wouldnt like people to think that we could go out & buy something like that on a whim. Having said that, there wouldnt have been anything stopping us from going & borrowing the money if we had wanted to. It all depends on how much you earn & your other monetary commitments I guess! But we had the cash & are financially reasonably well off, so thats what we did with it. As a rough idea, something like that ie older model powerboat will set you back $50K-$100K. If you want something new you can double the last figure plus some LOL.

Originally posted by PeteY
Mrs DB,

THAT is gorgeous. The wife just had to pick me up off the floor, i think i must have fainted with jealousy!!!
Very nice

Eventually, i would like to get a nice fiberglass, but i will probably go for somthing a bit smaller. Have you ever seen the seafarer Vega? Really nice, will definatly be on my list of boats to have a look at. Thing i like about it is that at 18' i could tow it with a 4wd.

I take it from the way you need a tinny you don't moor it against the jetty, do you have a buoy you moor it to? Forgive me i'm not too nautical (yet ). How much does it cost for mooring?

Cheers

A very green Pete.
Pete, yeah we like it . Its an old model (86) but its what we wanted & suits our needs. We started out looking for a fibreglass half cabin about 18' but our requirements grew LOL. My brother has a 16' half cabin & we found it was just too small for the 4 of us & then we decided that we would like to be able to stay out overnight. My 2 requirements were a toilet & a hot shower. So we had to upgrade. The reason that we need a tinny is because with large shaftdrive boats like that you cant go into shallow water because the propellors are under the boat & are the lowest point. That boat has a draft of about 3 feet, so if you want to go ashore on an island for whatever reason ie swim, collect bait, let the kids run around & play on the sand, you need something to run across from where you anchor. Its moored at the marina, yes at a marina berth (jetty), mooring costs depend on the length of boat & where the marina is, but as a rough guide something 9-10 metres (which is what our boat is, 9m is usually the min berth length) will cost you around $270-$300/month or about $3000/year in marina fees.

Originally posted by Martin Hales
Thanks for the info on the Yacht Clubs. The RQYS is a really nice club so we might have guessed it would be expensive. Will look at other Clubs when we eventually get to Brisbane. Particulary like the look of the Mooloolaba Marina and Yacht Club.

What seems to be the most popular sailing boats or motor boats? After years of jumping off jetties and hauling in sheets am trying to persuade hubby to opt for a motor boat!

Jackie
Jackie, its hard to really tell overall. In this area, the predominance is certainly sailing craft. There are quite a few powerboats, but sail outnumbers them at least 2 to 1, possibly more. If you head down towards the Gold Coast the marinas down there have more powerboats, not sure on numbers but I think it would be at least equal if not more than sail. I think the main reason for this is the geography of the area - up here in Manly area you head straight out into the open waters of Moreton Bay & the weather is often fairly breezy. This very much suits sailing vessels & suits powerboats much less so. Down towards the Gold Coast most of the waterways are very sheltered & are mostly passages between island which are quite protected from the wind & alot of great fishing & crabbing spots - perfect for powerboats, not as great for sailing. Also there is always the demographics of the area in respect to age. Many more young people boat down the Gold Coast so you get alot of waterskiers/boogeyboard/wakeboarders which of course need powerboats rather than sail. Manly is full of older folk like us LOL but we cant sail, so our choice was fairly easy when it came to what sort of boat to buy .

Hope this helps some people, if anyone wants to know more feel free to ask & if I know I will tell, if not, I will try to find out for you. We are hardly experts ourselves, this is our first boat, although my family has had boats for years, so Im not completely green .

For those of you would like to dream, check out
Boatpoint , they dont have very good descriptions but it gives you a general idea & its Australia wide, so if you dont want Brisbane its easy to pick another state.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:10 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Boats & Boating in Brisbane (or elsewhere!).

Just a point, I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned it... you need a licence to "drive" a boat here, unless your motor is under6HP (which is a very small engine.. ie about 10 knots)

When I did my QLD test.. I went on a course (2 days) there was a theory test , then a practical test.. the test took place in the Brisbane river.. then up towards mud.

Recently the licence itself has changed.. I hold a paper licence. (see below) . But you must still do a Practical test to obtain your "virtual licence"

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned you need a licence to go boating if you have a motor bigger than 6hp.. which most good sea going vessels are (minus yachts)

If you need a good course.. and a tester - check out Archie's here in Brisbane ( I can recommend him, it's where I went to get my Qld licence) , when I went there it was around $100.

There are also courses available for bar crossings (which is advisable if you intend to cross the bars here)

boats around Brisbane ...and manly - (I used to live that way) and I can tell you most people own cats, tinnies and runabouts which sit in their driveways (besides the luxury yachts in the harbour) .. Manly is an ideal point to get to green, and Harry Atkinson's for trailer boats .

The MBTC holds an in inshore off shore fishing comp every year during the earlier half of the year ( it's usually around April/May) .. you need not be a member to join this fishing comp (I can also highly recommend this comp) I've done it every year fro the past 5 years. Costs around $65 and I think it's only $15 for kids under 16.

Most clubs mingle with each other.. in house comps between clubs. There are heaps of boating and fishing clubs in QLD and not all break the bank.. a good starting point is browse through the clubs in Bush N beach (fishing monthly) . If you need advice on boats this website is a really good place to start - they have a forum on there dedicated to boating questions
http://www.sportsfish.com.au/forum/f...=44&CAT_ID=13. The web site is a respected site, with such members as Starlo, Heath, and various other respected fisho's and boaters community from around Aus.

Good luck

My licence is below (changes to a vitual one. when it runs out next month, but you still need to do a test to obtain your vitual one)..
Attached Thumbnails Boats & Boating in Brisbane (or elsewhere!).-untitled-2.jpg  

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 6th 2003 at 2:13 am.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:40 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
Just a point, I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned it... you need a licence to "drive" a boat here, unless your motor is under6HP (which is a very small engine.. ie about 10 knots)

When I did my QLD test.. I went on a course (2 days) there was a theory test , then a practical test.. the test took place in the Brisbane river.. then up towards mud.

Recently the licence itself has changed.. I hold a paper licence. (see below) . But you must still do a Practical test to obtain your "virtual licence"

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned you need a licence to go boating if you have a motor bigger than 6hp.. which most good sea going vessels are (minus yachts)

If you need a good course.. and a tester - check out Archie's here in Brisbane ( I can recommend him, it's where I went to get my Qld licence) , when I went there it was around $100.

There are also courses available for bar crossings (which is advisable if you intend to cross the bars here)

boats around Brisbane ...and manly - (I used to live that way) and I can tell you most people own cats, tinnies and runabouts which sit in their driveways (besides the luxury yachts in the harbour) .. Manly is an ideal point to get to green, and Harry Atkinson's for trailer boats .

The MBTC holds an in inshore off shore fishing comp every year during the earlier half of the year ( it's usually around April/May) .. you need not be a member to join this fishing comp (I can also highly recommend this comp) I've done it every year fro the past 5 years. Costs around $65 and I think it's only $15 for kids under 16.

Most clubs mingle with each other.. in house comps between clubs. There are heaps of boating and fishing clubs in QLD and not all break the bank.. a good starting point is browse through the clubs in Bush N beach (fishing monthly) . If you need advice on boats this website is a really good place to start - they have a forum on there dedicated to boating questions
http://www.sportsfish.com.au/forum/f...=44&CAT_ID=13. The web site is a respected site, with such members as Starlo, Heath, and various other respected fisho's and boaters community from around Aus.

Good luck

My licence is below (changes to a vitual one. when it runs out next month, but you still need to do a test to obtain your vitual one)..
What ceri has mentioned is true, except that if you have a displacement hull you dont need a licence either. Many bay cruisers fall into that category.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Martin Hales is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mrs D, really appreciate the info. Just looking forward to getting out there and exploring the different clubs and marinas. Although must say finding a place to rent will be our first priority.

Jackie
Old Oct 6th 2003, 11:35 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Ceri

Good luck

Thanks again Mrs DB, and thanks Ceri.

Question for you....

Are the boat licences nationwide, or do you need a seperate one for each state? I am going to be in SA for the first 2 months (on holiday!!!), and was thinking about doing the test there, but I won't bother if i would just need to sit another with i get up to QLD.

Cheers

Pete.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 11:41 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Never mind, guys!!!

Ceri, thanks for that link, its fantastic. Answered my question about licences.

LOADS of info on there!!
Old Oct 6th 2003, 12:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

For those interested & into yachting heres the Australian Yachting Federation website .

Brownies Coast Watch has a great list of links to just about everything in the boating section.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
For those interested & into yachting heres the Australian Yachting Federation website .

Brownies Coast Watch has a great list of links to just about everything in the boating section.

Very useful info again Mrs Dagboy, you are a gem
Old Oct 29th 2004, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

maetscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Boating in Brisbane

Hi sorry to get involved but i need some info on boat ramps on the brisbane river if you know of any that would be great. you are very helpful and full of info so hope you don't mind. thanks very much

maet
Old Oct 29th 2004, 11:10 pm
ABCDiamond

As this thread has been resurrected, I thought I would let you know about something that is happening, (boating related), in Victoria Point on Sunday November 21st 2004.

At the park by the Boat Ramps at Victoria Point, there is a Boating Safety Day being held from about 10am to 3pm.
Various organistaion will be there, including Marine Rescue, Fire & Rescue, Naval Cadets, ete etc. Safety games and Model boats for the kids.

More details at http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/boating.htm
(That page will be upated as the organisers give me more info)

Oh yes, and its FREE, and lots of giveaways too.

Old Oct 30th 2004, 12:42 pm
Rocket Scientist

Default Re: Boating in Brisbane

Originally Posted by maetscott
Hi sorry to get involved but i need some info on boat ramps on the brisbane river if you know of any that would be great. you are very helpful and full of info so hope you don't mind. thanks very much

maet
maet, do you specifically want upstream Brisbane River or Moreton Bay as well? I know theres one at Jindalee & one at West End on the actual river, but there are heaps on the bay as well (like Manly, Wellington Point, Cleveland, Victoria Point etc). I dont have my Brownies with me (its on the boat atm) which has a list of ramps, but maybe Ceri might be able to help if she sees this on Monday as she has a trailer boat & will know more of them than I do .
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

thanks for your reply, I am currently living in manchester but am Australian born and bred am studying at moment and very homesick can't wait to go back home to brissy. I am looking to move to fig tree point area but love wellington point so really wondering about a website address that may list all boat ramps. I know it is loads to ask! are you in oz at the moment if so where have you settled? hope you are enjoying it!
maet
Old Oct 31st 2004, 9:05 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by maetscott
thanks for your reply, I am currently living in manchester but am Australian born and bred am studying at moment and very homesick can't wait to go back home to brissy. I am looking to move to fig tree point area but love wellington point so really wondering about a website address that may list all boat ramps. I know it is loads to ask! are you in oz at the moment if so where have you settled? hope you are enjoying it!
maet
Hiya maet, Im actually the same as you, an aussie, but married to a pom. FWIW, he absolutely loves it here, we just got back from 5 weeks in the Uk last week & the look of relief on his face when we walked off the plane was almost funny . Funny you should mention Figtree Pocket & Wellington Point, we live very close to WP & I grew up at Sherwood, so know that area very well also. Have been waterskiing from the boat ramp at Jindalee, thats how I know its there . Do you have family here etc?

I couldnt find a list of boatramps depsite looking on google, perhaps someone else might be able to find one.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

wow thats a turn up for the books. I am in manchester married to a pommie police officer. i am studying midwifery and then i will drag him back to bris. i grew up in hervey bay but have lived in bris in auchenflower. can't wait to come home the autumn weather has set in fireworks evey night. all my family are in oz my brother and sister are in coorpooroo (sorry too many o's) and my mum was in logan but moved to melbourne last year. so am alone here. how did you meet your bloke? haven't been boating on bris river yet other than ferries of course.
xx maet
Old Oct 31st 2004, 10:50 pm
Rocket Scientist

The weather was pretty miserable when we were there too, apart from the first week :scared: .

We're lucky in one way, Dagboy came over here to be with me, so he had it easy, someone to pick him up at the airport, a house to come to, a car, someone who knew where everything was etc - in fact, a readymade life, he just had to slot into it. He says he realises now just how lucky he was cos just about everything was handed to him on a plate .

As for the Brisbane River, to be honest, I wouldnt boat on there unless it was the last place left , there are much much nicer areas like out in Moreton Bay & down Jacobs Well area & down the Gold Coast & up around Bribie Island, especially if you are lucky enough to have a trailer boat & can take it where ever you want. Ours is too big for a trailer so we have it moored down in Jacobs well area, suits us perfectly even though we live very close to Manly as we can get out almost any time we want to, despite whatever the weather is.

Have sent you a PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.