Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boat licence [QLD]

Boat licence [QLD]

Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boat licence

Originally Posted by cresta57
Your boat licence is just an electronic extension on your drivers licence. It does not show up on your drivers licence. If you are caught DUI +.05 on your boat however, you automatically lose your car licence as well & vice-versa.
In NSW its a separate licence....but I have been breath tested by police out on the water...so be warned!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:02 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boat licence

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
As I understand it in NSW, you need a licence and hence have to pass a test for VHF & HF marine radio. However, a marine radio (HF/VHF or unlicenced UHF) is only required in the boat if you are operating more than 2 nMiles offshore...if your inland or less than 2 nm you don't need any radio (in NSW).

I have a full UK radio ham licence (G7MMA), but have not got round getting an Oz call sign. So I think I would claim that I was covered under the ham licence if anybody asked.

Plus if I was sinking, I would sooner use an unlicenced radio than drown!
In NSW its a separate licence....but I have been breath tested by police out on the water...so be warned!
Sorry Rodger the info I was giving was specific to the OP who already specified he was moving to QLD. Ray2gill is also another Qlander. I normally do specify info as appertaining to QLD
Info sourced from the QLD Recreational Boating & Fishing Guide [dec 2008 issue 1]
Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Boat licence [QLD]

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Licensing/Recreational/

says:

Recognition of other qualifications, training or experience
The Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Act 1994 and its subordinate legislation provide an alternative to the completion of the full BoatSafe competency based training and assessment course. The recognition of prior learning (RPL) process caters for those who can provide evidence of other relevant qualifications, training or experience in vessel operations. If this relates to your situation please contact an approved BoatSafe training provider for consideration and assessment under the recognition of prior learning process.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll only need the radio operators licence if you intend doing off shore sailing. If you're going to be staying on waterways or hugging the coast, you don't need it.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You'll only need the radio operators licence if you intend doing off shore sailing. If you're going to be staying on waterways or hugging the coast, you don't need it.
I think you are meaning the 2 n mile offshore rule that applies in NSW? and may be other states.

What this says is that you need a radio if you go more than 2 n miles offshore. If that radio is VHF or HF, you need a licence, if it is UHF then you don't need a licence.

To operate a VHF or HF marine band radio anywhere (onshore, offshore, lake, etc) requires a licence for that type of transmitting device.

So I think you are may be confusing the 2 n mile rule for not requiring any radio rather than the licence for any particular piece of transmitting equipment.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:18 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are meaning the 2 n mile offshore rule that applies in NSW? and may be other states.

What this says is that you need a radio if you go more than 2 n miles offshore. If that radio is VHF or HF, you need a licence, if it is UHF then you don't need a licence.

To operate a VHF or HF marine band radio anywhere (onshore, offshore, lake, etc) requires a licence for that type of transmitting device.

So I think you are may be confusing the 2 n mile rule for not requiring any radio rather than the licence for any particular piece of transmitting equipment.
Licences for VHF are no longer a legal requirement in QLD.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 5:19 am
ABCDiamond

Marine Radio Licence in Australia
A quote from: Australian Communication and Media Authority (Federal Government)

Operators Not Requiring Qualifications
While a marine radio certificate of proficiency is not required to operate ship stations only employing 27 MHz marine radio equipment, it is recommended that operators of such stations obtain at least the MROVCP qualification, in order that they may use their radios competently in emergencies.

Overseas Operators
Persons currently holding overseas qualifications with a recognised Australian equivalent are not required to hold an Australian certificate of proficiency to legally operate a maritime ship station.
Persons holding overseas qualifications should submit them, for assessment, to Licence, Allocations & Information.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Licence, Allocations & Information.

and a quote from the QLD Marine safety website, as at Oct 2008:

Queensland:
  • 27MHz are relatively cheap transceivers available for general use, however, they do not provide the coverage of a VHF radio.
  • VHF emergency channels are monitored 24 hours a day. All commercial ships operating at sea carry, and monitor, VHF distress frequencies with the possibility of lending assistance. Operators must be licensed with the Australian Communications and Media Authority.

Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Marine Radio Licence in Australia
A quote from: Australian Communication and Media Authority (Federal Government)

Operators Not Requiring Qualifications
While a marine radio certificate of proficiency is not required to operate ship stations only employing 27 MHz marine radio equipment, it is recommended that operators of such stations obtain at least the MROVCP qualification, in order that they may use their radios competently in emergencies.

Overseas Operators
Persons currently holding overseas qualifications with a recognised Australian equivalent are not required to hold an Australian certificate of proficiency to legally operate a maritime ship station.
Persons holding overseas qualifications should submit them, for assessment, to Licence, Allocations & Information.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Licence, Allocations & Information.

and a quote from the QLD Marine safety website, as at Oct 2008:

Queensland:
  • 27MHz are relatively cheap transceivers available for general use, however, they do not provide the coverage of a VHF radio.
  • VHF emergency channels are monitored 24 hours a day. All commercial ships operating at sea carry, and monitor, VHF distress frequencies with the possibility of lending assistance. Operators must be licensed with the Australian Communications and Media Authority.
That site was last updated October 08 as you stated. The book I quoted from was published Dec 08 & all legislation was declared correct at the time of publishing.
However, I've fired off an email to Qld Maritime Safety with a request to clarify the situation. I'll post their reply as soon as I get one
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:34 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you could now own one without licence, but needed one to operated it, other approach is have it in the boat, and I'm sure they'd forgive you for use it in an emergency.

Local VMR radio courses

http://www.vmr.org.au/currentcourses.html

Boat license course for QLD

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Publi...kbook_download

You'll learn bugger all about real boating. Basically what are the laws, and a few bits on marker boats. No nav , weather, etc.