Reload this Page >

Boat licence [QLD]

Boat licence [QLD]

Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

graham wade will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Boat licence

Originally Posted by kjc
I think your find your licence is worth nothing here In Qld!
I have a RYA yachtmaster offshore with a dept of transport commercial endorsement, it is worth nothing here In QLD.
The RYA is trying to get there licences approved here,but as of yet they do not meet the Australian standards.
A test is required for any form of powered water craft dependent on the engine size,including jet ski's.
If anyone can tell me that I am incorrect,and that they have had there British licence exchanged for an Australian equivalent,I would be very interested.
thats interesting lets see were this goes
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:18 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

WA accepted my RYA Powerboat level 2 certificate and gave me a licence without any test .
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WS
WA accepted my RYA Powerboat level 2 certificate and gave me a licence without any test .
thats good ive just e-mailed the rya here in the uk to see what they say soon as i here ill post it
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by WS
WA changed some boat licence rules on 1 April 2008.
They now quote:
Depending on your prior skill or qualifications you may need to demonstrate your competency in the theory and practical sections or just the theory section.
A list of WA recognised Overseas qualifications is at:
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/imarine/19319.asp

Note: Each State may have different rules.

Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:40 pm
ABCDiamond

In the WA list, it appears that these two are NOT accepted.
  • RYA / DOT Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaster Offshore Shore-based Course
  • RYA National Dayboat Proficiency scheme
There are another 9 RYA ones that are accepted.

Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
WA changed some boat licence rules on 1 April 2008.
They now quote:

A list of WA recognised Overseas qualifications is at:
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/imarine/19319.asp

Note: Each State may have different rules.
having a quick look they will acceot my r.n.l.i. atlantic 21/75 lifeboat course certificate
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:50 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham wade
thats good ive just e-mailed the rya here in the uk to see what they say soon as i here ill post it
The RYA actually offer this course in Australia RYA Powerboat Level 2
You will not need a marine radio operators licence just to gain a boat licence.

Courses, as G said, are only a day. Half in the classroom studying buoys, ships, lights etc. The other half on the water doing high speed turns, approach to jetty's, man overboard exercises etc.
All very simple & when you pass you just give the paperwork to the local QLD transport office & the details are entered on your licence.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cresta57
The RYA actually offer this course in Australia RYA Powerboat Level 2
You will not need a marine radio operators licence just to gain a boat licence.

Courses, as G said, are only a day. Half in the classroom studying buoys, ships, lights etc. The other half on the water doing high speed turns, approach to jetty's, man overboard exercises etc.
All very simple & when you pass you just give the paperwork to the local QLD transport office & the details are entered on your licence.
thats good as gold thanks
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:04 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

thats good as gold thanks
Where were you based in the RNLI Graham? Approx of course
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Where were you based in the RNLI Graham? Approx of course
I was helmsman 2nd mechanic at Burnham-on-crouch in Essex and dune my courses at cowes isle of wight
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:23 pm

I was helmsman 2nd mechanic at Burnham-on-crouch in Essex and dune my courses at cowes isle of wight
I used to sail out of Grimsby up in the Humber. We had the only full time paid crew up there at Spurn Point. Nice bunch of blokes, we often used to go over & have a bbq with them on the beach.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

I used to sail out of Grimsby up in the Humber. We had the only full time paid crew up there at Spurn Point. Nice bunch of blokes, we often used to go over & have a bbq with them on the beach.
ok i have now answered my own question this the R.Y.A spin on this from the uk
Graham,

I hope the following information helps...

The Royal Yachting Association and Yachting Australia have agreed to enter into a partnership to offer a jointly badged Yacht Training Scheme in Australia. There are, however, additional briefings and testing required to meet the joint Scheme requirements.

Depending on the qualification you wish to transfer and there may also be additional requirements to be met.

Important things to bring with you to Australia are:

Logbooks showing experience, conditions, vessel type and capacity.
Any First Aid qualifications which you hold.
Any Radio Operators Certificates which you hold.
Your overseas certificates – with translation if the detail is not in English.
Yachtmaster (Power & Sail) Certificates & Instructor Endorsements

All candidates with RYA Yachtmaster certificates must also hold a current Senior First Aid Certificate (this may be from Australia or if an overseas qualification at least to the same level of competency). RYA candidates will also require to hold a Marine Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency (MROCP) as per Australian legislation. Once this certificate is obtained, the candidate will be assessed by a Yachtmaster Examiner on the meteorological aspects of the southern hemisphere and on the various maritime authorities operating in Australia.

Once assessed, your RYA Logbook inspected by the examiner and an Examination Report completed, which needs to have a copy of your RYA certificate attached, your Yachting Australia Yachtmaster Certificate can be issued.

Other Yachting Australia Instructor Certificates Candidates may be assessed by the MYA State Coaching Director (or their nominated representative). Candidates qualifications will be checked to ensure they match the Yachting Australia requirements. The candidate will undergo a briefing regarding instructing in Australia and the Recognised Teaching Establishment (RTE) network as well as details on the Australian Sports Commission (NCAS levels) and the Yachting Australia Accreditation Renewal procedure.

It is highly recommended that ALL instructors hold a Senior First Aid certificate or equalivent, except for Yachtmaster certificates where this is compulsory.

There is more information at http://www.yachting.org.au/

Best wishes

Jim Ensom

Hon Sec RYA East
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:36 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kjc
I think your find your licence is worth nothing here In Qld!
I have a RYA yachtmaster offshore with a dept of transport commercial endorsement, it is worth nothing here In QLD.
The RYA is trying to get there licences approved here,but as of yet they do not meet the Australian standards.
A test is required for any form of powered water craft dependent on the engine size,including jet ski's.
If anyone can tell me that I am incorrect,and that they have had there British licence exchanged for an Australian equivalent,I would be very interested.
I read in one of the boating magazines that a boat licence can be entered on a driving licence. Is this accurate and why would you want to do that? Does anyone know.

Hadn't planned on having to take my radio operaters licence again *****
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by ray2gill
I read in one of the boating magazines that a boat licence can be entered on a driving licence. Is this accurate and why would you want to do that? Does anyone know.

Hadn't planned on having to take my radio operaters licence again *****
Your boat licence is just an electronic extension on your drivers licence. It does not show up on your drivers licence. If you are caught DUI +.05 on your boat however, you automatically lose your car licence as well & vice-versa.
You do not need a licence for 27meg marine CB or for VHF marine radio. A licence is only required for MF/HF [long range radio] if you have a full ham radio licence you need only apply for an Australian call sign.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need a licence for 27meg marine CB or for VHF marine radio. A licence is only required for MF/HF [long range radio] if you have a full ham radio licence you need only apply for an Australian call sign.
As I understand it in NSW, you need a licence and hence have to pass a test for VHF & HF marine radio. However, a marine radio (HF/VHF or unlicenced UHF) is only required in the boat if you are operating more than 2 nMiles offshore...if your inland or less than 2 nm you don't need any radio (in NSW).

I have a full UK radio ham licence (G7MMA), but have not got round getting an Oz call sign. So I think I would claim that I was covered under the ham licence if anybody asked.

Plus if I was sinking, I would sooner use an unlicenced radio than drown!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.