Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A blunt and realistic assessment of Australia right now

A blunt and realistic assessment of Australia right now

Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:36 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default A blunt and realistic assessment of Australia right now

Please don't take this personally and please don't use this to change your goals and dreams.

The last 2 weeks the Job Market has changed dramatically. cafes and bars are recieveing tones of resumes a day, absolutely no trade related work exists for foreigners and despite job ads absolutely no one is hiring!!!

Australia is also reportly not approving any foreign workers.

This is just the facts....don't take it personally but be prepared.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A blunt and realistic assessment of Australia right now

Originally Posted by Weebie
Please don't take this personally and please don't use this to change your goals and dreams.

The last 2 weeks the Job Market has changed dramatically. cafes and bars are recieveing tones of resumes a day, absolutely no trade related work exists for foreigners and despite job ads absolutely no one is hiring!!!

Are a few others threads like this one. Hopefully people are going into it with their eyes wide open
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you have to wonder as people keep asking the same questions about getting jobs!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

This is just the facts....
If you mean Australia isn't issuing any new visas, then NO, that is not a fact. There was a fake article posted on here, made to look like a real news website which suggested this, but it was exactly that, a fake.

Other than that, yes, the job market is very slow and there is a great deal of competition for positions. And yes, those people with Aussie experience will often be at the head of the queue.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:03 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
If you mean Australia isn't issuing any new visas, then NO, that is not a fact. There was a fake article posted on here, made to look like a real news website which suggested this, but it was exactly that, a fake.

Other than that, yes, the job market is very slow and there is a great deal of competition for positions. And yes, those people with Aussie experience will often be at the head of the queue.
there is a definite slowdown. still not as bad as other countries but who knows how it will go.
I think your comment re Aussie experience is spot on. As a Brit you will be in with as good a chance as an Aussie or anyone else, providing you have the relevant experience.
The visa process is continuing with a reprioritisation of skills as far as I know.
There are still a great many gaps in skills so they can't afford to stop it
Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Really? The facts? Where is your information from? Personal experience or a website or an official announcement? Facts are usually supported by some sort of evidence.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

So, it's a fact that Australia is reportedly not approving foreign workers?
Is that like the fact that I am reportedly good looking and awesome?

The facts regarding migration changes are here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener.../whats-new.htm
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by njk435
So, it's a fact that Australia is reportedly not approving foreign workers?
Is that like the fact that I am reportedly good looking and awesome?

The facts regarding migration changes are here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener.../whats-new.htm
wow, i'm reportedly good looking too, must be a fact.

does it count if i was the reporter?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:05 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed if this is true I back it 100%.

Being an Aussie Citizen and putting 110% into coming here and settling.

Id hate to see my kids out of work for cheap foerign imports or sympathy for unskilled temp workers who signed up to being temporary.

This is a test for the temporary visa program unfortunately, for those temps who lose their jobs and cannot find another, its what they signed up for, they must accept if they cannot find another job they have to go back to their port of origin.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Indeed if this is true I back it 100%.

Being an Aussie Citizen and putting 110% into coming here and settling.

Id hate to see my kids out of work for cheap foerign imports or sympathy for unskilled temp workers who signed up to being temporary.

This is a test for the temporary visa program unfortunately, for those temps who lose their jobs and cannot find another, its what they signed up for, they must accept if they cannot find another job they have to go back to their port of origin.
That's a pretty harsh point of view & a huge assumption that those who have come over on temp visas are not giving 100% to making a new life in Aus.
For many, the temp visa is their only route in & they will go on to apply for pr once they can.
Job insecurity is not something that anyone would willingly sign up to but in the current climate, is a fact of life!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
That's a pretty harsh point of view & a huge assumption that those who have come over on temp visas are not giving 100% to making a new life in Aus.
For many, the temp visa is their only route in & they will go on to apply for pr once they can.
Job insecurity is not something that anyone would willingly sign up to but in the current climate, is a fact of life!
too true sal, a fact of life in this climate.
Australia cannot afford to stop temp visas as in spite of some claims there are still huge skills shortages that need to be filled
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Apologies, I didnt mean temp visa holders dont give 100%, and I have friends who are on 457 visa which I have debated with.

Although I have sympathy you have to remind yourself of why these visa's are temporary.

If this country allowed everyone in, for the good times, mining boom, and if it collapses which it may do, what happens to all the additional people....

All on welfare etc, it becomes a nightmare, unemployment rises.

I am not getting personal with it, looking at from a beauracratic point of view, do the numbers and think out of the box about it.

Sorry its my view, a debatable one, which will raise emotion I never said it to anger people.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:16 am
Account Closed

Not every temp visa holder matches the skills which are in shortage....

Originally Posted by kporte
too true sal, a fact of life in this climate.
Australia cannot afford to stop temp visas as in spite of some claims there are still huge skills shortages that need to be filled
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:20 am
Account Closed

Not every temp visa holder matches the skills which are in shortage....
indeed. what i'm saying is it will change, in terms of skills asked for, but it will not stop
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Apologies, I didnt mean temp visa holders dont give 100%, and I have friends who are on 457 visa which I have debated with.

Although I have sympathy you have to remind yourself of why these visa's are temporary.

If this country allowed everyone in, for the good times, mining boom, and if it collapses which it may do, what happens to all the additional people....

All on welfare etc, it becomes a nightmare, unemployment rises.

I am not getting personal with it, looking at from a beauracratic point of view, do the numbers and think out of the box about it.

Sorry its my view, a debatable one, which will raise emotion I never said it to anger people.

I'm not angry but I think you made a huge sweeping generalisation.
There are many nurses for example who come out on 457 because they do not meet the points for PR straight off. Most people make such a huge move with a strong desire to settle permanently & contribute to their adopted country.
You are not eligible for welfare unless you have had PR for 2 years.
If governments encourage people to move across the world, to suit their needs, then they should have some accountability/responsibility for what happens to those people thereafter.
It is the responsibility of the govt to review frequently & rigorously, their immigration policies & needs & to change them in a timely manner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.