Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Blue Mountains Weekend Away

Blue Mountains Weekend Away

Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Smile Blue Mountains Weekend Away

We'd like to take the train out of Sydney for a weekend in the Blue Mountains. Will set off early Saturday morning and return Sunday evening.

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel for the night and a "must do" list for a couple who have never been before?

Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:24 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blue Mountains Weekend Away

Stay here: http://www.mountainheritage.com.au/

Do this: http://www.scenicworld.com.au/
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:26 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Can't recommend any hotels, I just live here
- Tiddlypom might be more help, she's a fountain of knowledge on the area.

When relatives were here they enjoyed the trolley stop tour around the Katoomba area - an hourly 'hop on-hop off' service that starts from just outside Katoomba railway station

Trolley bus tours

Obviously, it depends which part of the Blue Mountains you're planning to visit, but you might find this a good starting point:

touristy type information
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't eat the local mushrooms.............

We went for a night away in Caves House in Jenolan, had steak and local mushrooms for dinner and had the worst nightmare ever. The house is a bit spooky (it had closed down so not sure if it's now reopened) which didn't help and never connected until a friend mentioned it the next day that it could have been the local mushrooms!

Enjoy, it's beautiful! See if you can get to Wentworth Falls - awesome!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:30 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
We went for a night away in Caves House in Jenolan, had steak and local mushrooms for dinner and had the worst nightmare ever. The house is a bit spooky..

Enjoy, it's beautiful! See if you can get to Wentworth Falls - awesome!
True, the big house was well weird! the caves were great though, really good. Not sure if they are open and a bit out of the way from the Blue Mountains.

The boy and I hiked to the Wentworth Falls plunge pool, it was fantastic but to get out we either had to hike out the way we came is (about 2 hours from memory) or straight up the cliff along narrow paths, ladders and at one point a knotted rope! not for the faint hearted... good fun though.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed here on our weekend away

http://www.valleyofthewaters.com/

I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Amazing views from your balcony and a lovely couple who run the place.

An awesome breaky and a bottle of bubbly thrown in as well!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:56 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Never stayed overnight so not so good on hotels. However must do list

3 sisters from the viewing station

cable car ride and furnicular railway with rainforest walk at Katoomba

walk down Leura high street and a visit to the lolly shop (I think its still open)

Of all the towns I really like Leura best and must visit

Scotty
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

EinsteinJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup...Leura cascade is good photography spot. I think you better off from Gordon Lookout and do 1 hours bush walk tom Leura cascade. Then, catch the bus to go to echo point and visit three sisters

If you want to use "Trolley Bus", make sure you calculate the time carefully as they only turn up every 1 hours or 0.5 hours for particular spot. But overall it is cheap, convenient and i like it.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't get to see it last time I was there, but the Mount Tomah Botanic Gardens are definitely worth a visit from what I can gather, not sure about public transport there though so it might not be a feasible option. The Zig Zag Railway at Lithgow would also be up there on the list of attractions in the area.

Jenolan Caves is a crazy place. You wind down a steep and narrow road into a deep valley for what seems like ages and at the bottom is an extravagant Swiss Chalet style building with luxury accommodation and restaurant where you'd least expect it, and then the road goes right through a cave before you climb back out of it.