Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Blue Mountains on holiday

Blue Mountains on holiday

Old May 24th 2007, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Blue Mountains on holiday

Can anyone give me general advice on where to go and what to do, places to eat, stay at.
Not looking for anything flash, maybe something a bit different/alternative ???!
Old May 24th 2007, 2:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blue Mountains on holiday

Originally Posted by melaniee
Can anyone give me general advice on where to go and what to do, places to eat, stay at.
Not looking for anything flash, maybe something a bit different/alternative ???!
iPom is your person re: the Blue Mountains.

I was there just after Christmas, it was GREAT. especially if you like bushwalking, you'll be in heaven.

Jenolan Caves (the other side of the Blue Mountains) is great: http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/ - there is a really cool hotel there, it's all Victorian and old, like something from the Scottish Highlands.

Back in the Blue Mountains, Leura is Beautiful and Mount Wison is like a little English Village where they open their gardens up to visitors.

If you are going now it will probably be quite cold and wet.

Zig Zag railway is a must, esp if you have kids:

http://www.zigzagrailway.com.au/

If you want to stay somewhere flash try this place
http://www.hydromajestic.com.au/

Have a good time

Last edited by renth; May 24th 2007 at 3:09 am.
Old May 24th 2007, 3:07 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I can recommend the adventure caving at Jenolan but i think you have to book it in advance.

Originally Posted by renth

Jenolan Caves (the other side of the Blue Mountains) is great: [url]Jenolan Caves (the other side of the Blue Mountains) is great: http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/ - there is a really cool hotel there, it's all Victorial and old, like something from the Scottish Highlands.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I went one year in May and another year in the July and it wasn't cold or wet (perhaps I'm just lucky). Would love to go in the Summer, but it's beautiful in Winter too.

Bit touristy, but go on the scenic railway at Katoomba
Old May 24th 2007, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future

If you are looking for budget accommodation we stayed at the Blue Mountains YHA in Katoomba.
It was great, excellent kitchen facilities etc. Nice comfy lounges for sitting about.
We were there during the Winter Magic Festival ... new age/hippy sort of thing, great atmosphere ... very colourful .... music, street parades etc.
Its on in June.
The YHA does get busy then as its popular with families.
Alison
Old May 24th 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future

Hi
Just reading your first post again.
The winter magic festival certainly is alternative.
Everybody dresses in very elaborate costumes.
I really enjoyed the atmospere, people dancing in the street etc, although is does get very busy.
There is a website I think telling more about it.
Alison
Old May 24th 2007, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Got married at a lookout near a place called Blackheath near Katoomba, on a lookout called valley view, which is close by to Evans lookout which is more popular. We had our reception at Jemby Rinjah Eco lodges and all the guests stayed there to. They are a great place to stay. Compost toilets etc. Plenty of winging from the poms about the toilets and spiders possums etc Great restaurant and great hosts. Local bird feeding in the morning which is great for the kids.

http://www.jembyrinjahlodge.com.au/

The blue mountains are worth going to just for the drive to Katomooba,their are plenty of great places to stop on the way Wentworth Falls, lawson, springwood just to name a couple of places on the way up.

Go there and enjoy the fresh air and scenery!!
Old May 24th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Blue Mtns is great - am going next weekend to visit friends (I now live in Qld but used to live there). They own Lurline House which is a b+b in Katoomba, close to everything. oh, they are from the UK too - been in Aus about 12 years or so.
Old May 24th 2007, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the person who emailed me to ask me to answer... so here you go...
The Katoomba YHA has been voted as the top in NSW. If you however want to look at motel accom, which is probably the next down, then check this page out:

http://www.bluemts.com.au/categories.asp?id=123

For places to visit and for most of these, bring stout trainers or light walking boots as tourists falling over is the biggest problem out here. It's worse when they go over cliffs.

If you're into scenery which you must be if you come up here:

The three Sisters from Echo point, Katoomba, obviously, during the day and at night.
Walk down to Leura Cascades which is rainforest and lots of water. Bring warm clothes. This is seriously worth it... but your legs will wobble on the way up, but that's par for the course...

Evan's Lookout in Blackheath. If you're there over lunch, go to the Blackheath fish and chip shop for the best F+C or go to the Victory Cafe for great food and service.

Katoomba's own National park is great... Katoomba Falls. Combine that with a visit to the Scenic Railway... cablecar trip down to more rainforest and a fabulous walkway ... take your lunch in as you could spend the day down there. Eat in the Rainforest room and listen to the Lyre birds outside.

Do the Cliff walk from Katoomba Three Sisters down Cliff Drive and check out the views.

Eating in Katoomba...
The Hatters Cafe ... and whilst you're there, buy a proper hat at the hattery next door. Recommend the grain fed beef and their fish and chips is yum.
Mountain Harvest... slower food, but really well done if you have a little more time.
The Paragon - fabulous to visit for tourists... beautiful art deco cafe which makes its own chocolates... don't miss it.
Just want good coffee go to the Coffee Box. He's an expert.
The Hatters Cafe does pretty good coffee too and they also do the best iced chocolate.

Further out, head into Leura for some quaint shops, and good eating. Go to the Deli for fabulous food and great coffee - steak sandwich is excellent here. They do vegetarian too, as do pretty much everywhere. If you want a posh night out, visit Silks on Leura Mall. Three course dinners a must.
Leura's pretty... lots of nice European trees and good atmosphere.

Visit Wentworth Falls and if you want to eat there, go to the Post office, although ignore the somewhat quirky service but they have the best coffee and food, and more importantly, heating. Seven restaurant is also excellent and has a cafe menu on Sundays.

Head to Tableland Road in W'falls (the Pot Place is on the corner)and drive down that, taking Hordern Road on your right. Drive to the end, turn left and you'll find a lookout (parking area) which gives you beautiful views of the Jamison Valley. If you see a woman with a big dog then that's me. Stop and say Hello. I can give you some info about what you're looking at or bore you to tears with nonsensical facts about geology...
Further on from the King's Tableland Lookout, is Sunset rock, and you'll need to have an accurate map to find it... most get confused and miss it. It's near Queen Victoria Hospital (now deserted and used for filming creepy films about zombies)
As the name suggests, go for sunset and take two glasses, some nice fizz (Wentworth falls bottle shop) and something to eat and watch the sun go down.

Head further up the highway to Falls Road and follow the brown signs to Wentworth Falls and go see the falling water... and visit the Conservation Hut for a snack and a coffee ... though I do warn you that the prices there are obscene for food so if you're feeling flush, go for it. The money does go to conserving the area though, so it's worth the spend!

If you want supermarket Katoomba has Coles and Kmart and other places have smaller independent supermarkets,.

Toy museum in Leura if you're having a quiet mo and it's raining.

Katoomba has an iMax too which is GREAT! They show regular films as well as iMax films.

If you want alternative, drive down to Springwood and go to see the Norman Lindsay Gallery.
Intiguing art work there. Good food and perhaps other stuff on in the evening.

I'm not sure what time of year you'll be here, but the Katoomba Winter Magic Festival is on in late June and is a lot of fun.

Drive down the Mountains to Glenbrook and visit the National park for kangaroos, and big cockatoos and cheeky kookaburras which knick your sausages (take food and have a BBQ on the plates provided for you... firewood is there, just take your own matches)
Visit Red Hands Cave for lovely Aboriginal history.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope it helps.
Drop me an email from the link in my profile if you want to ask me anything else. Much more efficient way of getting hold of me.

Oh and if you're here in winter, warm coat, hat, scarf, gloves... bring all the things you'd normally use for a cold crisp November day. Waterproofs too. You can always leave it in the car or back at the hotel if you don't need it, but do come prepared, or prepare to spend money at Mountain Designs to rug up (Katoomba, on the main street if you need warm stuff)

Enjoy!

Last edited by iPom; May 24th 2007 at 11:20 pm.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Gothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant future

hi

Just moved to the Blue mountains in April, it's great!!!
Thanks ipom, given me lots of tips of what to go see as well.
But just to say that Scenic world is great, been there at the weekend:
http://www.scenicworld.com.au/
get the unlimited ride ticket though, well worth the extra money and then you can ride on the railway, skyway and the cablecars all day, they are absolutely amazing, I'm scared of heights, but after eventually getting persuaded to go on them, you couldn't get me off!!!

Enjoy!!!

Gothchick
Old May 26th 2007, 10:34 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Mount Tomah Gardens, Wentworth Falls, Scenic World Katoomba, Zig Zag Railway

Lots and lots to do - you'll love it I'm sure!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Fantastic ! Thanks so much everyone-sounds like it will be beautiful (and fresh !!!!)
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fantastic ! Thanks so much everyone-sounds like it will be beautiful (and fresh !!!!)
What's Blackheath like as a place to stay ? Where is the best place to base yourself for a few nights ?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:23 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

What's Blackheath like as a place to stay ? Where is the best place to base yourself for a few nights ?
Blackheath is nice. It's got the best chippy and a couple of really nice restaurants. Good lookouts and nice walks in the National park.
It's the most 'country' town in the mts and has a really nice feel.

If you're in the BM's, you're going to be driving up and down the mts to visit places. imo, it really doesn't matter therefore where you stay. Blackheath is about 10 mins from Katoomba, if that.
IMO, Blackheath is quieter than Katoomba and you're much less likely to get woken up by revellers if you're in Blackheath.

PS - Here's a little map you can click on to get info on the local towns.

http://www.bluemts.com.au/tourist/ab...eMountains.asp