Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Blue Light Discos

Wikiposts

Blue Light Discos

Old May 3rd 2005, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Blue Light Discos

Hi,

Does anyone possess and information / opinions on the 'Blue Light Disco' scheme which is run here in OZ and if possible, specifically the Heathridge event in Perth.

Having only been here a few months I have limited knowledge of these events. I know they are organised by the police as a supposedly 'safe' environment (alcohol and drug free), but i did hear one conversation the other day which indicated drugs are present at the events (but then I suppose they are in schools).

My stepson is asking to go an event and as I have no info on them, I am currently a little reluctant to let him as he is only 12. Problem is all his mates are going and I dont want to be unneccesarily harsh on him.

So basically has anyone with kids (12,13 etc) let them go to Blue Light events and has there ever been any problems that you are aware of?

They do have a website, but it doesn't really say a great deal (www.bluelight.com.au)

Thanks
Dave
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blue Light Discos

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi,

Does anyone possess and information / opinions on the 'Blue Light Disco' scheme which is run here in OZ and if possible, specifically the Heathridge event in Perth.

Having only been here a few months I have limited knowledge of these events. I know they are organised by the police as a supposedly 'safe' environment (alcohol and drug free), but i did hear one conversation the other day which indicated drugs are present at the events (but then I suppose they are in schools).

My stepson is asking to go an event and as I have no info on them, I am currently a little reluctant to let him as he is only 12. Problem is all his mates are going and I dont want to be unneccesarily harsh on him.

So basically has anyone with kids (12,13 etc) let them go to Blue Light events and has there ever been any problems that you are aware of?

They do have a website, but it doesn't really say a great deal (www.bluelight.com.au)

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave!!!

Long time no talk too...

I used to go to Blue Light events when I was a kiddy and we used to have a great time!! Not sure how they are run these days, but when I used to go you were not allowed pass outs, so couldnt go in and out all night. There were a few uniformed police on the site so tended to deter un-seemly types - if you know what I mean.

There will always be risks, but I know your kidlet, he has his head screwed on straight and I am sure he will be ok.

Hope things are going well for you guys????

Hels
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:12 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
Dave
My 14 yr old daughter goes to one here in QLD. Seems to be very safe and OK. Only scary thing is the length of the girls skirts these days! Damn I'm getting old!

Andrew
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:59 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Blue_lights are great. I used to be a DJ at some of them. They are fine... all the boys and girls too shy to ask each other for a dance.. lol
Old May 4th 2005, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Hi,

Thanks
Dave
Ahh chill out Dave. Give Nath the taxi fare and a key and come round to ours. You can bring the voddie this time Oh I forgot....I'm never drinking again
Old May 4th 2005, 12:39 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I take it these blue light discos have nothing to do with blue light toilets that councils are introducing in the UK? I think the idea of them is that junkies can't find a vein in the blue light. Trouble is, now rather than being full of junkies shooting up the loos are full of cottagers who like the ambience
Old May 4th 2005, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by YFitz
Ahh chill out Dave. Give Nath the taxi fare and a key and come round to ours. You can bring the voddie this time Oh I forgot....I'm never drinking again
Haha, I know, I should chill out a bit!!

Maybe after another half a bottle of voddie I will be chilled :-)

Was a good night!!
Old May 4th 2005, 4:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Only scary thing is the length of the girls skirts these days! Damn I'm getting old!

Andrew
You should have seen them when I was a teenager in the 60's

Still....I've got my memories

G
Old May 4th 2005, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hels
Hi Dave!!!

Long time no talk too...

I used to go to Blue Light events when I was a kiddy and we used to have a great time!! Not sure how they are run these days, but when I used to go you were not allowed pass outs, so couldnt go in and out all night. There were a few uniformed police on the site so tended to deter un-seemly types - if you know what I mean.

There will always be risks, but I know your kidlet, he has his head screwed on straight and I am sure he will be ok.

Hope things are going well for you guys????

Hels
Hi Hels,

Things are going really well. I am working for UK clients and Helen has just started to get some relief teacher work. Nathan loves his school and has made lots of friends.

How are you and your hubby getting on. Has he settled in ok?

I guess that I need to chill out and let him go to the disco. I guess it is tough trying to let them grow up and also protect them at the same time!

So how is Bendigo - just as you remembered it?

Dave