Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Bloody' tourism ads banned in UK

'Bloody' tourism ads banned in UK

Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: 'Bloody' tourism ads banned in UK

Originally Posted by suzimc
I think they did a bloody good job, and was thinking to myself as I watched the advert 'I wonder if I can get a job with the Aussie tourist commision when I get there' I'd be proud to produce an ad like that - they've got peoples attention and that's what advertising is all about!
And it worked

They did sampling with USA & UK people, and got the thumbs up

On TV today, a guy from the UK Times was commenting about it, saying the ban was wrong when compared to other words used on UK TV. Other Brits interviewed made comments like; "Kids in playgrounds hear the word all the time, so what's the big deal"

But everyone in Advertising is over the moon about the ban, as it has increased publicity many fold.

Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:06 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

why the surprise? I for one did say a couple of weeks back I'd be very surprised if it gets shown on British prime TV , and it would be banned in some Asian countries.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357213

It is not only the British TV which is not going to show the full version - at least four other countries are banning it.
They have also totally remodeled the advert for other countries like Singapore of course.

It has nothing to do with Britain being PC. I don't think it's political correctness for parents who do have the moral values of not wanting their children to be subjected to cursing in their own home.

As I said before this ban, I do think that the tourist board did not do enough research into it - Any idiot could have told them that it would either be banned, or not shown before a certain time, or cut etc in many of the countries they are trying to aim it at .
Many countries have strict guidelines . They should have known that if they had properly researched the countries they were aiming it at. Or the advertisers knew fully well that it would cause controversy - create a controversy or ban something it sells of course.

I for one quite agree with the ban, it's so utterly uncouth.lol

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 9th 2006 at 11:10 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri

I agree with you Ceri.

It's not about being PC.

I wonder how many comments on this thread disagreeing with the ban have also posted in other threads about the poor manners of kids today, the poor language, the lack of respect?

It's all about cultural norms - in the UK we know that 'bloody' is a swear word - and I know that if a child in my class said "Bloody hell" they would be admonished for it. (And then I'd have to deal with parents who would say that it is perfectly acceptable).

There is - at last - a bit of a 'respect' drive in the UK. What message does it give to kids if they can see the word being used on TV in an ad for tourism?

You can hear it now "Why can't I say it? They say it on TV on the advert. They say it in Australia...."

It;s teh right call - a difficult call but the right one. The govt would set itself up for a fall if it kept pushing its respect agenda and discipline in schools and then allowed the ad to be shown.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:20 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I agree with you Ceri.

It's not about being PC.

I wonder how many comments on this thread disagreeing with the ban have also posted in other threads about the poor manners of kids today, the poor language, the lack of respect?

It's all about cultural norms - in the UK we know that 'bloody' is a swear word - and I know that if a child in my class said "Bloody hell" they would be admonished for it. (And then I'd have to deal with parents who would say that it is perfectly acceptable).

There is - at last - a bit of a 'respect' drive in the UK. What message does it give to kids if they can see the word being used on TV in an ad for tourism?

You can hear it now "Why can't I say it? They say it on TV on the advert. They say it in Australia...."

It;s teh right call - a difficult call but the right one. The govt would set itself up for a fall if it kept pushing its respect agenda and discipline in schools and then allowed the ad to be shown.
Excellent points - I do not allow my children to say bloody. I am also fully aware they say an awful lot worse when I am not about but my point is they should show respect by not swearing in my company.

I also strongly object to the level of obscene language on the radio so I switch the bloody thing off

Cheers
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:35 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Sandra
I also strongly object to the level of obscene language on the radio so I switch the bloody thing off

Cheers
I do the same. My daughter came home one day, and said that a child at school used the "S" word !! Puzzled us for a while... turned out they said "stupid". If that's as bad as it gets for a 10 year old group, then things are not too bad yet

What puzzle me about the UK ban, is the use of "bloody" and much worse words already being used on UK TV programs.
If it is that bad, why don't they ban it for all TV programs ?

Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:45 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What puzzle me about the UK ban, is the use of "bloody" and much worse words already being used on UK TV programs.
If it is that bad, why don't they ban it for all TV programs ?
Tv programmes have classifications - warnings, so you have a choice to watch or not to watch, you can turn the thing off, not let your children watch it . Also the real foul language- f words etc have to be shown after a certain time in the night, a watershed- not at Prime time

Advertisements at prime time can't hold foul language in them, advertisements are supposed to be general rated. Radio is also like this in the UK -" general rated" ie for all - no matter what time of night or day, radio is supposed to be classed as a U and foul language is not supposed to be on there either unlike the radio here

It's not a complete ban , they are going to show it in the cinemas in the UK , obviously it won't be shown at Bambi, Walt Disney movies etc though lol

simple really

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 9th 2006 at 11:55 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

why the surprise? I for one did say a couple of weeks back I'd be very surprised if it gets shown on British prime TV , and it would be banned in some Asian countries.

It is not only the British TV which is not going to show the full version - at least four other countries are banning it.
They have also totally remodeled the advert for other countries like Singapore of course.

It has nothing to do with Britain being PC. I don't think it's political correctness for parents who do have the moral values of not wanting their children to be subjected to cursing in their own home.

As I said before this ban, I do think that the tourist board did not do enough research into it - Any idiot could have told them that it would either be banned, or not shown before a certain time, or cut etc in many of the countries they are trying to aim it at .
Many countries have strict guidelines . They should have known that if they had properly researched the countries they were aiming it at. Or the advertisers knew fully well that it would cause controversy - create a controversy or ban something it sells of course.

I agree, but I think bloody is now not a swear word, it provides an 'exclamation' to a statement to highlight it. Where the 'heck' are you would be the same in my books.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I agree, but I think bloody is now not a swear word, it provides an 'exclamation' to a statement to highlight it. Where the 'heck' are you would be the same in my books.
That's where the difficulty lies - who defines what is offensive or not?

About 10 years ago, a 12 year old was absolutely convinced that 'tit's wasn't swearing to the point of shouting over the classroom “Hey Liam, tits isn’t swearing is it?”

A good article in the Guardian a year or two back discussed whether the f word was now so commonplace that it should not be deemed offensive.

I think the article was just trying to justify the word's use in the Guardian - which uses it all the time!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:48 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

To a certain extent, I think this is a deliberate act by the Aussies. They probably knew it would be banned, but that's great publicity.

This ad campaign has evoked huge amounts of discussion already.

Great for the PR guys.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Re the lack of research, agree amazing given the budget they had, they seem to be making the ads for what appeals and is acceptable in australia not the countries it was a target for. So its OK for an aussie 2 year old to swear, its hardly going to be the case in singapore is it

Plus the language thing, the ad didnt even sound that good in an aussie accent, translated into other languages and the different context they use words, I'd have thought in many countries the wording of the ad would be lost on most people anyway.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Re the lack of research, agree amazing given the budget they had, they seem to be making the ads for what appeals and is acceptable in australia not the countries it was a target for. So its OK for an aussie 2 year old to swear, its hardly going to be the case in singapore is it

Plus the language thing, the ad didnt even sound that good in an aussie accent, translated into other languages and the different context they use words, I'd have thought in many countries the wording of the ad would be lost on most people anyway.
it's an ok ad, they've done better in the past. I still want to know why it's being shown over here though. How much has that cost us?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Visually, I think it's a beautiful ad. But I agree that they should have realised that common use words in Australia are just not acceptable elsewhere.

At least "bloody hell" is on the minor end of the spectrum - next it will be "Come on over you b*stards, stop being a w*nker and come and enjoy being with the wogs."
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

That's where the difficulty lies - who defines what is offensive or not?

About 10 years ago, a 12 year old was absolutely convinced that 'tit's wasn't swearing to the point of shouting over the classroom “Hey Liam, tits isn’t swearing is it?”

A good article in the Guardian a year or two back discussed whether the f word was now so commonplace that it should not be deemed offensive.

I think the article was just trying to justify the word's use in the Guardian - which uses it all the time!
I stand by what I said before which is the delivery is more important than the content. I'd take my daughter to task more for saying bloody because she was being bad tempered or reckless, or losing control, rather than for the word itself.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I stand by what I said before which is the delivery is more important than the content. I'd take my daughter to task more for saying bloody because she was being bad tempered or reckless, or losing control, rather than for the word itself.

Partly agree.

How do you see this scenario.....

6 year old girl skipping along singing the following to the tune of Waltzing Matilda:

"F*king, *****ing, B*llocks,
T*ts, W*nker, Sh*tting hell
Mother*****ing p*ss off, w*nker, a*se"

??

Not sure that delivery is the be-all-and-end-all.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Partly agree.

How do you see this scenario.....

6 year old girl skipping along singing the following to the tune of Waltzing Matilda:

"F*king, *****ing, B*llocks,
T*ts, W*nker, Sh*tting hell
Mother*****ing p*ss off, w*nker, a*se"

??

Not sure that delivery is the be-all-and-end-all.
You have to differentiate between words which constitute crimes of "strict liability". Words like f*** etc do. Saying "Poo" is OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.