Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bloody Pom Weather

Bloody Pom Weather

Old Aug 5th 2003, 1:41 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bloody Pom Weather

Good job I am still in Perth enjoying rain and cold night's bugger that heat in Pomland it's hell here in Summer never mind the Pommy Med?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3063985.stm

Britons own more convertibles than other Europeans and the pavements are filling with alfresco cafe tables. Vineyards are cropping up across southern England, sales of barbecue equipment have soared, and butterflies native to southern Europe flutter as far north as Yorkshire.

Hastings, one of the most depressed towns in the South East, will be given a makeover
Centre to be rebuilt by the architects who regenerated Barcelona
The firm (MBM Arquitectes) has designed a Cardiff promenade
And London is to get European-style boulevards modelled on Las Ramblas

Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I love it when they call 27 Hot, 30 a heatwave, for heavens sake, toughen up.

44 is when they get a bit worried here!! and thats only if it goes on for weeks. Oh and when a couple of states have burnt down

Trust me 30 is mild, plus you have not got a desert heat or tropical humidity blowing in......

Chill man 30 is nothing
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:04 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty

44 is when they get a bit worried here!! and thats only if it goes on for weeks. Oh and when a couple of states have burnt down

Trust me 30 is mild, plus you have not got a desert heat or tropical humidity blowing in......

Chill man 30 is nothing
This is ironic the refugees/ommo's moan about the crap Pom weather because they say they never see a Summer and when they do dribble on about getting used to it for the the big move to Australia , dreamers.
They will be more used to night temps in Perth in Winter ( 2c-8c) than the Summer heat which can top 40c plus.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by pommie bastard
This is ironic the refugees/ommo's moan about the crap Pom weather because they say they never see a Summer and when they do dribble on about getting used to it for the the big move to Australia , dreamers.
They will be more used to night temps in Perth in Winter ( 2c-8c) than the Summer heat which can top 40c plus.

The bit I really love, is when the pommies say how hot, sweaty, uncomfortable, smoggy the heat made everything. Then go on to say "But of course the heat in OZ is nowhere as hot as here"!!!!

Er right, having the desert blow in or the wet season humidity drown you plus adding another 5-15 degrees will make things a heck of a lot cooler.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:47 am
Banned

The bit I really love, is when the pommies say how hot, sweaty, uncomfortable, smoggy the heat made everything. Then go on to say "But of course the heat in OZ is nowhere as hot as here"!!!!

Er right, having the desert blow in or the wet season humidity drown you plus adding another 5-15 degrees will make things a heck of a lot cooler.

The newcomers need bull to take a step that in the back of their minds they know is a step backwards ,so its the old bull that rises to the top like we are going for kids or the outdoor lifestyle .
Then they find the flies and heat make it more sence to keep in doors as for the kids they get a down graded education and less hope of a job at the end of it because of skilled immo's standing in the line before them.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chill man 30 is nothing
But your missing the point oh dotty one. 30 - 37 IS hot here. Its what you are used to. NZ just had their worst winter for 30 years, made the headlines for weeks while we were there. Personally couldn't see what all the fuss was about. It felt like like a beautiful autumn day to me. When the sun came out and the temp was a reported 15 C it was just right for driving and walking about. Like a glorious spring weekend. Loved it. As for the temps in Aus, especially Perth, we were fooled by the description of the climate, 'most temperate' part of Aus etc, it was only when we looked into it a bit deeper, based on PB's posts and others, but not entirely, did we see past the gloss.
Had a great hol to NZ that would have been a holiday to Perth, so a belated thanks to PB( now off my ignore list)
LMS
Old Aug 5th 2003, 6:03 am
Banned

Originally posted by sully4441
But your missing the point oh dotty one. 30 - 37 IS hot here. Its what you are used to. NZ just had their worst winter for 30 years, made the headlines for weeks while we were there. Personally couldn't see what all the fuss was about. It felt like like a beautiful autumn day to me. When the sun came out and the temp was a reported 15 C it was just right for driving and walking about. Like a glorious spring weekend. Loved it. As for the temps in Aus, especially Perth, we were fooled by the description of the climate, 'most temperate' part of Aus etc, it was only when we looked into it a bit deeper, based on PB's posts and others, but not entirely, did we see past the gloss.
Had a great hol to NZ that would have been a holiday to Perth, so a belated thanks to PB( now off my ignore list)
LMS
Thats my good deed for the year hope that all works well for you.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 9:17 am
Badge

Dotty it's true - I NEVER suffered with the heat in Oz until I was running 10m with a bucket every 30 seconds all day out in the bush on a drilling project. But methinks anyone would suffer then - lets face it most people would be flat out running for a bus.

a) you do aclimatise PROOF of this is that you get cold when it is 15.
b) I would swear that the humidity in Aussie appears to be lower.

c) The day I arrived - no aclimatisaiton at all - it was 27 and I was wearing a thick winter rugby top outside at a AFL game. I said to my girlfriend - "I'm not too hot so it must be quite cool today". I guessed it at just over 20. Later I found it was 26-27.
There you have it.

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 5th 2003 at 9:19 am.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Continue this post in December anyone
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:10 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bloody Pom Weather

Hastings, one of the most depressed towns in the South East, will be given a makeover

Oh dosn't that sound idyllic. Hastings becomes the UK Barcelona. It seems to me PB that you are guilty of the dreamy attitude that you accuse the others of regarding Australia.

Basically its all a bit like politics isn't it you can put the spin on it anyway you like but when it comes down to it every country has its good bits and its sh*t bits. Its how the balance of good vs sh*t effects the individual

But hey cosmopoloitan hastings will make it all worthwhile won't it

Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:36 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Good job I am still in Perth enjoying rain and cold night's bugger that heat in Pomland it's hell here in Summer never mind the Pommy Med?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3063985.stm

Britons own more convertibles than other Europeans and the pavements are filling with alfresco cafe tables. Vineyards are cropping up across southern England, sales of barbecue equipment have soared, and butterflies native to southern Europe flutter as far north as Yorkshire.

Talk to me in december, sunshine when im sitting by my pool , having a nice cold beer , and your in Blairyland freezing your nads off............ MM
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:39 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

The newcomers need bull to take a step that in the back of their minds they know is a step backwards ,so its the old bull that rises to the top like we are going for kids or the outdoor lifestyle .
Then they find the flies and heat make it more sence to keep in doors as for the kids they get a down graded education and less hope of a job at the end of it because of skilled immo's standing in the line before them.

but those so called skilled " immos" cant hack the pace after 9 yrs they run off with their tails between their legs......... MM
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Meridian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
Talk to me in december, sunshine when im sitting by my pool , having a nice cold beer , and your in Blairyland freezing your nads off............ MM
I am off to Cornwall in a couple of days. Should be superb.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:14 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Been more or less 30 degrees C here for the last 16 weeks and I'm pretty fed up with it by now. Hence some dumb posts! Beer helps a lot in this situation but I fear my wife is not too happy.

Roll on the move to NZ.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Ho Ho...... already talking about water restrictions and travel chaos due to the tracks melting in the "heat ??"
and all the barbecues are great for filling up that shed space.
You will soon see the reality of the weather in the UK dont be sold by newspaper articles.
Oh and the butterflies from southern europe run in cycles usually coinciding in European heatwaves.
Its a shame you missed this one.
1976 1990 2003 might have to wait around 14 years for the next one.
enjoy the wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.