Bloody NTL

Old Jun 27th 2005, 4:18 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice
Default Re: Bloody NTL

Yeah - we're still having problems with them.

They wouldn't speak to me on the phone, so Gav had to call them from Oz to ask them to let me sort things out for him (He'd left before me). He told them then that we wanted to terminate our service with one month notice, they said they'd make a note, but they must receive a letter to the address on the reverse of the bill. Once I'd written the letter noticed there are in fact three addresses! Called to check which address to send the letter to and they said if it arrives at any they will go to the correct section. Sent letter to head office address the same day as the phone call.

Tried to call on numerous occasions to check all was okay, first time I was told (again) that I couldn't speak to them because I wasn't the account holder, tried a few times but waiting times were bad. When I finally got through I was told they never received the letter so wasn't in the notice period. I panicked and told them that I was about to move to Australia in about 10 days explained that I was worried that the new house owners might find open Broadband and telephone lines to "play" with. She said that Gavin himself had to give them notice again, but that he could by e-mail! Why didn't they say that before??

We didn't hear anything for a while, but they did send through a bill including line rental for July. sigh! Luckily we cancelled our direct debits until we can sort out what we should actually owe them.

I think we might have similar problems starting with Telstra here because they have spelled Gav's surname in a VERY strange way and now have already received lots of sales calls for him with the dodgy spelling - Looks like they've sold the name and number on - here we go! We've only had the phone connected here for about four weeks and have already received several nuisence calls!

Last edited by lel_smiff; Jun 27th 2005 at 4:21 am.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 12:31 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
I have had more trouble with bills than I ever had in my life. NTL are complete tossers who havent got more than 2 braincells between the lot of them. My contract with them was terminated on the 6th MAY. Still receiving bills for end of May, June. I had to email them for a phone number as nowhere on their web site did it have an international no and as you know cant phone 0800 or 0845 nos. After several emails and 1 phone call (refused to phone again) I had lots of assurances that it had been sorted and yes there is a note on your file to say it could take upto 4 weeks for bills to be paid as in Oz. Today I picked up a letter telling me that my service has been suspended for non payment, debt collectors and solicitors will be contacted if payment not received (letter dated 8th June how do you suspend a service that finished on 6th May). You cant pay them via online banking and I am not paying over the phone (lost the no anyway). So have just wrote a very snotty letter and enclosed e-mails. Have asked for an apology and assurance credit history wont be damaged. I am so pissed off as this has been going on for 7 weeks now. Wouldnt have minded so much but we had TV, phone and broadband so 3 bills aghhhhhhhh

Sorry rant over.

Just make sure you give 4 weeks notice if you use NTL.

Admittidly they are a bunch of arse along with BT, but people will find that their Australian equivalents of Telstra & Optus are no better or worse..
Old Jun 30th 2005, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

I sympathise with you all....... Here is a real letter ( If i uploaded it correctly) that a very disgruntled customer sent to NTL..... I can assure that it is a real letter........ Just about says it all really
Attached Files
File Type: txt
NTL J.txt (4.5 KB, 116 views)
Old Jul 1st 2005, 10:17 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cypry
I sympathise with you all....... Here is a real letter ( If i uploaded it correctly) that a very disgruntled customer sent to NTL..... I can assure that it is a real letter........ Just about says it all really
That's not fair! How come that guy got such good treatment from them
I have phone, cable and tv from them but would have switched if we weren't emigrating. No problems with the phone at all. But when I was on dial up it was roughly 50:50 whether the internet / email would be available. Eventually I got broadband and had to lend the engineer a ladder and screwdriver as he didn't have any of those.

But TV is the worst. When they installed it they buried the cable 5 nanometres beneath the lawn / drive and I am probably one more hoe from severing it. The cable then went around the house taking approximately 6 miles of cable to reach the back wall. On its way it was very occassionally fastened to something causing brickwork / window surrounds to be damaged. As for its use, the tv picture is okay most of the time but the mini guide nearly always says "see guide for further listings". I just daren't press the red button, guide button or any other interactive services button as this invariably results in the set freezing for 5 minutes before I give up and have to turn it off at the wall and reboot.

But even this performance looks good compared to their customer services. If you don't give up the will to live while waiting for someone to answer and listening to muzak after about half an hour someone with 2 minutes training asks you to describe the problem 6 times then tells you it will be fixed within the hour. An hour later you lose all premium sports and movies channel so have to spend another hour on the phone only to be told that the help desk is now closed until tomorrow by which time I will be in work. The following night I get the services back then a few weeks later get a bill for twice the normal amount as I am now paying for the sports/movies package twice.

Yes, this has all happened to me. Next up I have to try and get them to cancel the service, close my account and not rob (sorry debit) me for services I no longer use then threaten me with solicitors when I cancel my direct debit. Wish me luck I am going to need it.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 4:16 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joho
I have had more trouble with bills than I ever had in my life. NTL are complete tossers who havent got more than 2 braincells between the lot of them. My contract with them was terminated on the 6th MAY. Still receiving bills for end of May, June. I had to email them for a phone number as nowhere on their web site did it have an international no and as you know cant phone 0800 or 0845 nos. After several emails and 1 phone call (refused to phone again) I had lots of assurances that it had been sorted and yes there is a note on your file to say it could take upto 4 weeks for bills to be paid as in Oz. Today I picked up a letter telling me that my service has been suspended for non payment, debt collectors and solicitors will be contacted if payment not received (letter dated 8th June how do you suspend a service that finished on 6th May). You cant pay them via online banking and I am not paying over the phone (lost the no anyway). So have just wrote a very snotty letter and enclosed e-mails. Have asked for an apology and assurance credit history wont be damaged. I am so pissed off as this has been going on for 7 weeks now. Wouldnt have minded so much but we had TV, phone and broadband so 3 bills aghhhhhhhh

Sorry rant over.

Just make sure you give 4 weeks notice if you use NTL.
I'm still receiving a bill from the house I moved out of 2 years ago, luckily I'm 27p in credit so not affecting my credit rating. I agree with you totally, they are crap. I'm a bit worried as we won't be able to give them 4 weeks notice as we are not sure when we are going to exchange and complete on the house.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 10:09 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road

We had telephone, tv and broadband with NTL, I had heard loads of horror stories before I cancelled so I sent them a letter recorded delivery 30 days before completion 29th April 05, the postmaster wished me good luck when he saw the letter, how bad is that, he had been arguing with them for 9 months.

I rang them on the 4th May 05 and was delighted to have been given a final bill (£15.00) which I paid over the phone there and then. They failed to pick the box up 6 times. I then received a solicitors letter dated 30th May for an overdue amount of £15.00.

I did get through to the department who sent my details to the debt collectors and they couldn't explain how this could of happened. I asked them to put it in writing that our account was up to date, nothing from them as yet.

After making 6 appointments for them to pick up the box, I threatened to put it in the bin, They said I would be billed for £250 if I did this. They then put me on top priority for collection, I told them I would be leaving the box at the foot of the plane steps if they didn't come the next day. Surprise they came.

Well yesterday was the 30th June, I am now waiting with baited breath to see what the postman delivers from them next.

Never again, please tell me there not as bad in Aus.

Julia