Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bloody HSBC bank..........again!!!

Bloody HSBC bank..........again!!!

Old Aug 29th 2006, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Saint Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bloody HSBC bank..........again!!!

We went with HSBC, when we arrived here in Melbourne. After researching the many threads about banks here on BE they definitely had the most recommendations at the time (6 months ago).

Although I can sympathise with some of the problems in setting up the account that other posters have experienced what you get at the end of the day is the lowest charges (nil) and highest interest paid of all the main banks (6.2%).

The online banking is excellent and as long as you don't have to visit the branch (and who does these days) I can't fault them. For cash you can use other banks ATM's upto 5 times each month without being charged and as others have pointed out you can use cash out and PO's. In the 6 months we've been here we haven't paid a penny (or cent) in bank charges.

We've had, like the other posters have mentioned, a few problems all of which were sorted by a quick polite email via the online banking mail function. Got replies the next day or same day in all three occassions.

1) The had taken tax on interest despite us sending them the TFN no. - investigated and credited it back straight away.
2) Charged me for my salary payment $4 queried it and got it reversed same day.
3) Although we had sent a letter to advise of change of address, the next statement was still addressed wrong - advised them and got a reply to say amended.

I guess its best to query any problems straightaway rather than leave them for weeks or months that way its easier for them to correct them. As for apologies I don't think banks do that sort of thing. What i'm looking for is the lowest charges and highest return, if it means keeping them on their toes - so be it.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I have been with them 3 1/2 years and have had no problems thank the lord. I use cheques and internet banking heaps.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:55 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Hate to be the one to dissaggree but Ive had no trouble whatso ever with them...I would go as far as recommending them...now the commonwealth on the other hand......lets not go there eh :scared:
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:41 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

due to their stinking attitude when they made several mistakes with my account, I moved everything to another bank and would never go back either here or in oz. They appear happy to point out when you make an error but when they do they will investigate and never explain what hapened.