Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bloody hell - Its arrived

Bloody hell - Its arrived

Old Sep 17th 2002, 12:47 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bloody hell - Its arrived

Originally posted by micky:
well I've been away all day at Michaels passing out day (Fire Brigade) .
I've come home at 5.45pm and its here. OMG OMG OMG OMG.
I'm so bloody excited. Great day, great weather today, great news from AHC. Black Friday - well not for me.
To be in Perth by 9/4/03.

Now....off to Asda for a bottle of lemonade to celebrate.

Shona & co xxx
Looks like your Ok for a job?

AUSTRALIA was facing a "frightening shortfall" of nurses by 2010 if the exodus from the profession continued – but the problem could be solved by a little respect, the chairwoman of a national review of nursing education said yesterday.

Patricia Heath, presenting her report to the federal Government, said ageing and professional dissatisfaction – rather than poor pay – were major reasons for the drop-out rate.

"Pay is not the most important factor for them," she said.

"Certainly, there's always an interest in what remuneration people have, but nurses made it very clear to us that it's the need to be recognised for what they do, appreciated for the contribution they are making and a recognition of their professionalism – those are the things that nurses particularly want."

The report predicted more than 22,000 nurses would leave the workforce over the next five years, making up the bulk of the 31,000 vacancies expected by 2006.

"(That) will give us a considerable shortfall by 2010, a frightening shortfall," Mrs Heath said.

The review also reported problems with the transition from university training to the wards, disparate fees charged for nursing education and an overwhelming workload.

Younger nurses also cited a lack of flexibility in their jobs as a major cause of frustration, with the profession slow to recognise that this generation "needs to have a quality of life" beyond work.

A new national nursing council should oversee the rebuilding of the profession, the study said, and be responsible for strategies to retain the existing workforce.

The review found that while the number of registered nurses with university training remained relatively steady at 163,500 in 2001, the number of vocationally trained "enrolled nurses" fell from 35,600 in 1989 to just 22,500 in 2001.

Victoria was the hardest hit, losing 67.6 per cent of its enrolled nurses between 1987 and 2001, while NSW lost 30.4 per cent and the Northern Territory gained 211 per cent.

Federal Education Minister Brendan Nelson said nurses needed more respect from the entire community, as well as from doctors.

"Perhaps our greatest challenge as a society is to increase the respect and support the professionalism of nurses," he said.

The report highlighted a need for better links between training and the workplace.

Australian Nursing Federation federal secretary Jill Iliffe praised the report, but was critical that it did not recommend the establishment of an Australian chief nurse.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Sep 17th 2002 at 1:37 am.
Old Sep 17th 2002, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bloody hell - Its arrived

Congrats Shona and clan!!

Must have been drunk on Saturday as wrote your number down completely wrong so havent phoned you as i cant! Phone me!! Sorry

PS Sold house last night, handing in notice today- YIKES. Come on HC...