Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bloody Hell, I just dont believe it!

Bloody Hell, I just dont believe it!

Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:03 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bloody Hell, I just dont believe it!

Originally Posted by Peed_Off
After the couple of years we have taken to get here (SE.QLD) and having been here for best part of a year, we are in the unfortunate position of not having settled at all, but arent sure whether to plod on for another year or two to see if we feel different.

Her we go....

We feel that the schools are absolute crap...teach them nothing...our kids are going backwards rather than forwards.

Australians are just plain ignoramuses (I know I am painting with a broad brush here but thats our perception). They are rude, walk about like dossers, have no manners and are arrogant sods. They are also NOT laid back or slipsteamed for the outdoors lifestyle. They are mostly stressed out, fat and go to bed at 8 oclock. Again apologies - just our perception. They make no effort to talk to you, even though you make the effort for them.

The weather is too hot and humid, even aussies will admit this for several months. It gets dark at bloody 6.30'ish on average all year. Wheres the lifestyle in that?

The wages are chronically absurd.

WTF is it with these hoons?

Our main reason to leave the UK was for a western modern english speaking environment (ie like the UK) with a good climate. The weather is nothing, and I mean nothing, when it comes down to it. Its amazing how you can be sucked into the glossy ads.

Yes, we've been to expat things and have friends here. My feeling is that beneath many of the expats veneer, they really hate the place as well and would like to go back to the UK, but its like nobody is telling how they feel in case they want to be seen as a failure.

We just dont know what to do. Whether to give it more time or just accept that we dont feel comfortable here and never will? Going back to the UK has its problems but when you walk down the street you at least feel comfortable with where you are.

Apologies if I have offended anyone, but better to be brutally honest.
Sorry its not working for you at the moment. My friends moved to Perth 2.5 years ago & for the 1st 12 months hated everything about it & almost came home. They came home this last month to see how we were getting on with our move & to see family & friends and after a week couldn't wait to get back! They absolutely love it now and just being here for a week was doing their head in

Try moving to another state, at least you could say then that you tried & still it wasn't for you. If you come back to the UK without trying somewhere else you'll always wonder 'what if?'
Goodluck
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

i couldn't help wondering if a trip back to UK might help, see things as they are in UK, make sure it is what you think it is here and then decide whether to stay in aus? Or look at moving interstate? You sound so unhappy, I think you need to try something but consider all your options. The expense of moving back to UK only to turn back again if it isn't what you expect is pretty high compared to cost of a trip.Just my opinion
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

smokin69 has a spectacular aura aboutsmokin69 has a spectacular aura aboutsmokin69 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Peed_Off
After the couple of years we have taken to get here (SE.QLD) and having been here for best part of a year, we are in the unfortunate position of not having settled at all, but arent sure whether to plod on for another year or two to see if we feel different.

Her we go....

We feel that the schools are absolute crap...teach them nothing...our kids are going backwards rather than forwards.

Australians are just plain ignoramuses (I know I am painting with a broad brush here but thats our perception). They are rude, walk about like dossers, have no manners and are arrogant sods. They are also NOT laid back or slipsteamed for the outdoors lifestyle. They are mostly stressed out, fat and go to bed at 8 oclock. Again apologies - just our perception. They make no effort to talk to you, even though you make the effort for them.

The weather is too hot and humid, even aussies will admit this for several months. It gets dark at bloody 6.30'ish on average all year. Wheres the lifestyle in that?

The wages are chronically absurd.

WTF is it with these hoons?

Our main reason to leave the UK was for a western modern english speaking environment (ie like the UK) with a good climate. The weather is nothing, and I mean nothing, when it comes down to it. Its amazing how you can be sucked into the glossy ads.

Yes, we've been to expat things and have friends here. My feeling is that beneath many of the expats veneer, they really hate the place as well and would like to go back to the UK, but its like nobody is telling how they feel in case they want to be seen as a failure.

We just dont know what to do. Whether to give it more time or just accept that we dont feel comfortable here and never will? Going back to the UK has its problems but when you walk down the street you at least feel comfortable with where you are.

Apologies if I have offended anyone, but better to be brutally honest.

Hi, guy's, if you feel like that now just image me, i had 18years of it,but i thought like heeps of others it going to to a better life,ha how wrong is that.ok i was single went i went out in 1990,nothing to hold me back i went to Perth,OMG,so boring[dont go there] i suppose you have heard most of the joke's,you get the feet altered so u can wear the thongs,next the elbow for holding the tinny,next half your brain removed,then you are still to intelligent,ha,come back to good Ol' Blighty,i have and don't regret it.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

I've only scanned over these posts but I've read enough to see whats happened here...

"Square hole meets round peg"....

Ever heard people big up something so much for you to only try it and you think 'meh!'

Australia isn't for everyone. In a perfect world (a rich one!) you would do a 'reckie' and check it out... a try before you buy so it were.

So many people give up their lives almost completely in the UK and they've never set foot in Australia before. Massive risk but then again life to me is about taking risks and again having responsibility for taking those risks.

If I can play devils advocate here...

If you have the option to leave then leave. Some people who were born and bred in the UK think the same as you do Peed off about their OWN country they're living in now. They're on welfare, possibly living in low cost housing, struggling to make ends meet, all the trimming of your typical low income family. You on the other hand are living in a place where 100's maybe 1000's of people on this forum are 'desparate' to go and live in (myself included). These poor people living here in the UK that will probably never get a chance to leave the city never mind the country would call you 'bloody nuts'.

Step back and take stock of lucky you are and what you have right now.
A choice....

Stay and try to aclimatise and embrace to the Aussie way of life (not try and make Australia become England but in a hotter climate) OR

Come home and start again....

Your happiness, your families happiness is paramount..do what it takes to make it work.

Good luck
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:21 pm

aliread is an unknown quantity at this point

mmmm well i have been here in SEQ for nearly 3 years and love it . Miss my mates in the Uk but don't miss the country .
I had been here on holiday 4 times before i came to live here so knew what i was up for.
I have not come across these problems that you have but like the Uk can depend on where you live. If you live in some funny areas of brisbane such as Ipswich or woodridge then ok you may get some funny people. But i live in Cleveland and it is a wonderfull part of the world .As for the tempeture. Did you not have the internet in the Uk , takes 5 mins to check it before you decided where to move to . Or you can just moved down the coast

mmm shame you don't like it but as some have said go back to blighty if you don't like it here. After all people like you give the rest of us the title of the winging pom
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

littlemiss will become famous soon enough

Wouldn't it be nice if the people who didn't like it in Oz could nominate someone to have their visa, if anyone is willing I will have theirs!!! lol
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:12 pm
Banned

Peed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ACE
Thank you for your candor. It is not easy to come on here and say things like that, people can be so cruel sometimes even when you are so obviously suffering. Feeling like that after going through so much to get here must be just horrible. What I will say though is that if you feel that bad it is just not worth staying life is too short, try a different part of Oz or go back to the UK. My experience has been the complete opposite of yours on every count. I knew within the first week that this was right and luckily have not had one day of feeling homesick. IMHO if you still feel that it is not right after so long then you are probably right.

Really sorry that it hasn't worked out for you.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do.

ACE
Thanks for your kind post.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

littlemiss will become famous soon enough

Also, I must say, I have stayed in Adelaide, Perth and Northern NSW for long periods, and all places are very different, perhaps you could try somewhere else before you pack up and go home.

Good luck, hope things work out for you soon x x
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliread
mmm shame you don't like it but as some have said go back to blighty if you don't like it here. After all people like you give the rest of us the title of the winging pom
Originally Posted by littlemiss
Wouldn't it be nice if the people who didn't like it in Oz could nominate someone to have their visa, if anyone is willing I will have theirs!!! lol
Its not that clear cut for a lot of us, sometimes it isn't so simple to pack up and go home. For example, have you considered what you will do if one person in your family is unhappy while the rest love it?
And spare a thought for those people who have married Aussies and are trying to live here in order to be with them.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 16th 2008 at 9:24 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:35 pm

aliread is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And spare a thought for those people who have married Aussies and are trying to live here in order to be with them.
Well that is me . My wfe is an Aussie
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliread
Well that is me . My wfe is an Aussie
So is my husband, to stay with him I have to live in his country, but nothing can force me to like it. I'm sure you can appreciate the problem of one partner always having to live in a country that isn't home. Just gets to me a bit when people say "if you don't like it, go home...." oh that it were so simple!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Yup, mixed marriages can be a real challenge! So, if you are thinking of marrying an Aussie (or a Pom, if you are an Aussie) make sure you work out beforehand about where you are going to end up!!!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

I think the thing to take on board here as this post has got very emotive is:

Everyone is different and so are their experiences.

When you post 'anything' on here, positive, negative or a question - you are by virtue of the fact that your putting it on a public forum inviting comments. If you want total control of the responses you get and don't like the 'honesty' in others that you have afforded yourself then write it on a bit of paper and burn it! Then you don't run the risk of hearing what you don't want to.

With this whole "Should I stay?" or "Should I go?" issue, responses from those who are in a really good place may take the "If you don't like it - GO!" approach. Those who feel they may be in the same boat will give it the, "Yep - we're on our way home too its Sh*t!" response.

Its hard to bring balance to your experience and frame of mind when your feelings are weighted in a particular direction. However, having invested so much you owe it to yourself to take as balanced approach as possible. You may be surprised at how a negative mindset can make for negative experiences.

Good Luck to all those struggling with being unhappy in a place they feel they don't belong.

T

Last edited by Ozzy dog; Apr 16th 2008 at 10:04 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:20 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Where I don't agree with a lot of what the OP says, I can still empathise with the 'not feeling like home' sentiment. We've been here for 2 years now and there is still something missing for me. I just feeling like I'm playing house? Nothing seems very real. I dont hanker for my UK life particularly, but when I do think of it, and see photos of it, I see and feel the HOME that I havent seen or felt here.

We always said we'd give it 2 years and decide from there what we'd do. At the moment I'm feeling a bit low so the UK is calling, next week I'll have a completely different perspective I'm sure and start looking at houses to buy!

Its a rollercoaster thats for sure!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Where I don't agree with a lot of what the OP says, I can still empathise with the 'not feeling like home' sentiment. We've been here for 2 years now and there is still something missing for me. I just feeling like I'm playing house? Nothing seems very real. I dont hanker for my UK life particularly, but when I do think of it, and see photos of it, I see and feel the HOME that I havent seen or felt here.

We always said we'd give it 2 years and decide from there what we'd do. At the moment I'm feeling a bit low so the UK is calling, next week I'll have a completely different perspective I'm sure and start looking at houses to buy!

Its a rollercoaster thats for sure!

Your the first person to describe this feeling... I sort of feel that way too!! We havent been here very long ( 3months and a bit) but I feel as if I am on a long holiday too!!! I dont feel in holiday mode as I am doing the every day things but its just so different than back home(yes.. home!!)
I cannot believe how much my life has changed since being here though, and defo for the better!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.