Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bloody Hell, I just dont believe it!

Bloody Hell, I just dont believe it!

Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bloody Hell, I just dont believe it!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

You allege that most Australians (in your experience) go to bed at 8 o'clock. Speaking as an Australian, that just sounds ridiculous to me. I've never known anyone who goes to bed that early. What time do they get up in the morning? Do they sleep for 12 hours straight? And how would you know what time they go to bed, anyway? Do you visit them to check that they're safely tucked up in bed for the night? Next you'll be telling us what time they all have sex in the evenings.
Got to comment on that one Vash - I do know personally a lot of Aussies, friends, and members of The Blokes family, who go to bed that early. They are part of the "up at 5am society", I do know a fair few who are nightowls like me, but there are a lot of early birds here, as I'm sure you really know
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Got to comment on that one Vash - I do know personally a lot of Aussies, friends, and members of The Blokes family, who go to bed that early. They are part of the "up at 5am society", I do know a fair few who are nightowls like me, but there are a lot of early birds here, as I'm sure you really know
One reason we moved to the center of the city was to see life, almost everybody go to bed at 8.30 & are up by 5, I dont see a soul, in my area, i think I would have seen more people if I lived in the suburbs.
The resturant are another joke, closing by 9 oclock.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:32 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Peed_Off
After the couple of years we have taken to get here (SE.QLD) and having been here for best part of a year, we are in the unfortunate position of not having settled at all, but arent sure whether to plod on for another year or two to see if we feel different.

Her we go....

We feel that the schools are absolute crap...teach them nothing...our kids are going backwards rather than forwards.

Australians are just plain ignoramuses (I know I am painting with a broad brush here but thats our perception). They are rude, walk about like dossers, have no manners and are arrogant sods. They are also NOT laid back or slipsteamed for the outdoors lifestyle. They are mostly stressed out, fat and go to bed at 8 oclock. Again apologies - just our perception. They make no effort to talk to you, even though you make the effort for them.

The weather is too hot and humid, even aussies will admit this for several months. It gets dark at bloody 6.30'ish on average all year. Wheres the lifestyle in that?

The wages are chronically absurd.

WTF is it with these hoons?

Our main reason to leave the UK was for a western modern english speaking environment (ie like the UK) with a good climate. The weather is nothing, and I mean nothing, when it comes down to it. Its amazing how you can be sucked into the glossy ads.

Yes, we've been to expat things and have friends here. My feeling is that beneath many of the expats veneer, they really hate the place as well and would like to go back to the UK, but its like nobody is telling how they feel in case they want to be seen as a failure.

We just dont know what to do. Whether to give it more time or just accept that we dont feel comfortable here and never will? Going back to the UK has its problems but when you walk down the street you at least feel comfortable with where you are.

Apologies if I have offended anyone, but better to be brutally honest.
Not offended me mate
At least you're honest. Hope you decide to do the right thing. We are going back to UK for similar reasons. But i'm in Perth I did love QLD and NSW though...but prefer the UK.
Good luck.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:49 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

After the couple of years we have taken to get here (SE.QLD) and having been here for best part of a year, we are in the unfortunate position of not having settled at all, but arent sure whether to plod on for another year or two to see if we feel different.

Her we go....

We feel that the schools are absolute crap...teach them nothing...our kids are going backwards rather than forwards.

Australians are just plain ignoramuses (I know I am painting with a broad brush here but thats our perception). They are rude, walk about like dossers, have no manners and are arrogant sods. They are also NOT laid back or slipsteamed for the outdoors lifestyle. They are mostly stressed out, fat and go to bed at 8 oclock. Again apologies - just our perception. They make no effort to talk to you, even though you make the effort for them.

The weather is too hot and humid, even aussies will admit this for several months. It gets dark at bloody 6.30'ish on average all year. Wheres the lifestyle in that?

Our main reason to leave the UK was for a western modern english speaking environment (ie like the UK) with a good climate. The weather is nothing, and I mean nothing, when it comes down to it. Its amazing how you can be sucked into the glossy ads.

Yes, we've been to expat things and have friends here. My feeling is that beneath many of the expats veneer, they really hate the place as well and would like to go back to the UK, but its like nobody is telling how they feel in case they want to be seen as a failure.

We just dont know what to do. Whether to give it more time or just accept that we dont feel comfortable here and never will? Going back to the UK has its problems but when you walk down the street you at least feel comfortable with where you are.

I would suggest you bugger off back to England mate.

I say that without reservation or indeed guilt.

Get a ticket booked, and piss off back to blighty, and find something else to whinge about.

As I have said before, on here dont be a tool, be a component.

Everything in life isnt some idiosyncratic dream or glossy media image, its WHAT YOU MAKE IT.

Put the effort in, reap the benefits.

Even in the uk, usa, spain, oz, new zeamand... it doesnt matter... its about ATTITUDE.

So I aint offended, but I bet 20 million aussies are !

Ste
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Her we go....

We had the exact same experience when we moved from the UK to South Africa (hubby is a Saffa and I was schooled in Cape Town).

We knew the instant we got off the plane that we'd made a mistake. I hated it from the word go and because of this it became very difficult to see anything positive about the place (depite the fact that there is ABSOLUTELY LOADS of good things when you put the rose tinted spectacles back on).

To be frank, it sounds to me as if Australia is not for you. Life is too damn short to live with regrets. Going back to England is not something to be ashamed of. At least you tried.

Make yourselves happy. Book those tickets and live your life without regrets, don't waste it trying to force something that will never change.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wish I could stay up until eight - it's 19.11 now and the electric blanket is nicely warmed up and waiting.

And no, I'm not joking.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:22 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Wish I could stay up until eight - it's 19.11 now and the electric blanket is nicely warmed up and waiting.

And no, I'm not joking.
Early nights-one of the best things in the world! Cosied up under feather duvet by 9.30 with hot choccie and nodding off to Foxtel...

34 going on 90...
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
One reason we moved to the center of the city was to see life, almost everybody go to bed at 8.30 & are up by 5, I dont see a soul, in my area, i think I would have seen more people if I lived in the suburbs.
The resturant are another joke, closing by 9 oclock.
We were in a pub right in the centre of Brisbane on Monday, one of the busiest in the city - everyone was chucked out at 9.30pm....
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:05 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Correction : It's amazing how certain types of people can be sucked into the glossy ads.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. At least you gave it a try.
You can remind any of the "I told you sos" of that when you are back in the UK.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
I would suggest you bugger off back to England mate.

I say that without reservation or indeed guilt.

Get a ticket booked, and piss off back to blighty, and find something else to whinge about.

As I have said before, on here dont be a tool, be a component.

Everything in life isnt some idiosyncratic dream or glossy media image, its WHAT YOU MAKE IT.

Put the effort in, reap the benefits.

Even in the uk, usa, spain, oz, new zeamand... it doesnt matter... its about ATTITUDE.

So I aint offended, but I bet 20 million aussies are !

Ste
Timber Floor Au, I find myself agreeing with you again, I know I will get flamed for this as may you however I am still stumped to find people emigrating to OZ and expecting it to 'be just like the UK but with sunnier climate' OZ is nothing like the UK, that why I like it.
My personal experience was that there was less fatties about, more people willing to talk to me and let me talk to them. I love the local community atmosphere, I like the bugs, the sun, the heat, the humidity and pretty much everything else.
At the risk of repeating myself I cant believe people are complainging about the heat and humidity, the time it gets dark did they not research this before they went, same goes for almost everything else.

Sorry if this is not the kind of reply people are looking for but I feel to many people emmigrate without checking out the full facts or even taking a holiday.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:12 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Her we go....

Do you mean Junior (state) or High School? I think that High Schools are much better than UK 'bog standard' comprehensives, you mayhave a point about junior schools

In my (retail) business we serve an average 500 people a day - its always the 1% of rude ones that stick in my memory but most are fine,polite people. Not laid back - most work hard, have a family a mortgage, and other stressfull parts of modern life dont blame them for being stressed!
Most 'tradies' day starts at 6:00am so early nights are a consequence of that.

Probably 6 - 8 weeks in Jan/Feb is uncomfortable but the rest of the year - perfect!! Dont forget that summer nights in UK only last a few weeks - apart from that its dark for more hoursthan its light

That is depending on carear - we are better off.

Only a minor irritant. Most are pussycats compared to the thugs from UK

Great post though I hope you feel better for discussing it. My advice (for what its worth) - Give Australia 2 years, if you are not settled after that cut your losses and return.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Her we go....

Can i ask have you ever been or traveled any where else before going to aus, we have made the move twice there and back to Brisbane and are finally going back for good soon, and have not had any bad experiences with people while there, on the contrey people were asking us over for barbeque for tea when we moved in because we had no furniture yet. perhaps your attitude towards the place is coming over at people like that and therefore you are receiving the same back.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:45 am
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I think its just GC, I totally hate it here, I dont care what anybody say how wonderful it is here, because its not, I found most Queenslanders are just so rude.
The state primary school are rubbish, I was just talking to my next door neighbour an Aussie today, she told me how badly run is the State school in GC, they only provide child minding services here, they dont teach anything useful to your children, so parents can go to work.
She said she would never dream of putting her children to any state primary school on the GC.
I know exactly what she meant we had to take our youngest out as all he did was to watch DVD, & colouring in.
I never had any problem in Adelaide, people were just so nice,
state schools were so good, all the Brits I met were so nice.
Here I get one Brit coming to my house when I first move here, then she totally ignore me after that on BE, how rude is she.
last week I met loads really nice girls, they were so normal I thought I moved State.
Before any of you make any comments why I am out of here, just waiting for
my son finishes his year12 & I'm out of here, not long now.
So to the OP, move to another State, you'll be surprise with how different life could be in another state.
I never thought I could hate a place this much, but I do.
WOW that must be some size of School to hold every child on the GC.
U cannot be serious?? My son has gone from being bottom of the class in the UK to above average in the local state school in a mere 9 months. I don't know if u know this but not all schools are the same so u cannot base your facts from 1 school to decide that the GC is crap.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Optibuild is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Carbery
Great post though I hope you feel better for discussing it. My advice (for what its worth) - Give Australia 2 years, if you are not settled after that cut your losses and return.
Well QLD is not for everyone.
There are lots of interstate migrants who relocate from Melbourne or Sydney to Qld and end up returning back again.
Usually the heat and humidity gets to them.

Maybe a different state will provide a better experience?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:51 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Snip.... They are also NOT laid back or slipsteamed for the outdoors lifestyle. .
Well my esky's got wheels on it..how much more slipstreamed do you want?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.