Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bloody Hell, I just dont believe it!

Bloody Hell, I just dont believe it!

Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:15 am
Banned

Peed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud of
Exclamation Bloody Hell, I just dont believe it!

After the couple of years we have taken to get here (SE.QLD) and having been here for best part of a year, we are in the unfortunate position of not having settled at all, but arent sure whether to plod on for another year or two to see if we feel different.

Her we go....

We feel that the schools are absolute crap...teach them nothing...our kids are going backwards rather than forwards.

Australians are just plain ignoramuses (I know I am painting with a broad brush here but thats our perception). They are rude, walk about like dossers, have no manners and are arrogant sods. They are also NOT laid back or slipsteamed for the outdoors lifestyle. They are mostly stressed out, fat and go to bed at 8 oclock. Again apologies - just our perception. They make no effort to talk to you, even though you make the effort for them.

The weather is too hot and humid, even aussies will admit this for several months. It gets dark at bloody 6.30'ish on average all year. Wheres the lifestyle in that?

The wages are chronically absurd.

WTF is it with these hoons?

Our main reason to leave the UK was for a western modern english speaking environment (ie like the UK) with a good climate. The weather is nothing, and I mean nothing, when it comes down to it. Its amazing how you can be sucked into the glossy ads.

Yes, we've been to expat things and have friends here. My feeling is that beneath many of the expats veneer, they really hate the place as well and would like to go back to the UK, but its like nobody is telling how they feel in case they want to be seen as a failure.

We just dont know what to do. Whether to give it more time or just accept that we dont feel comfortable here and never will? Going back to the UK has its problems but when you walk down the street you at least feel comfortable with where you are.

Apologies if I have offended anyone, but better to be brutally honest.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

tipp1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bloody Hell, I just dont believe it!

Cripes!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:23 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cherrio
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Bit confused. You obviously loathe everything about the place, why on earth are you still here? Hummmmmm, let me think now
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:28 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

STEP AWAY FROM THE TROLL
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Bit confused. You obviously loathe everything about the place, why on earth are you still here? Hummmmmm, let me think now
My ten pence worth, you admit to making broad brush statements and I think that tells a story in itself. You need to accept all at face value with no preconceptions. I have been made to feel very welcome here and only two weeks in we love the place. Yes, we are probably still in 'excited holiday' mode but I actually like the differences, which are many, between UK and Oz. One thing I did not do was come out here with rose tinted spectacles expecting the Home and Away lifestyle and so to me I approach everything in a wholly new view. We all speak the same language yet we don't, we all eat the same food yet we don't, we all like the same sports yet we don't. What I am trying to say is that it is different aspects of the same things we are used to. Ignorant? No, sometimes abrupt yes! TBH you sound more like an american than a brit, now I am generalising!!, americans expect EVERYTHING to be like what they are used to and it isn't.
You should maybe take a step back and really look at what you have or don't have and if its not for you then go back, its not failure its just not for you. Success is measured in happiness, if you are not happy than find a way to change that.
Your perception is entirely yours to make, but really, be intelligent about this and be totally factual in your opinions otherwise you MAY be made to look foolish and ignorant.
Whinging Poms huh, who said its a myth!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:39 am
Banned

Peed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud ofPeed_Off has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddyo
My ten pence worth, you admit to making broad brush statements and I think that tells a story in itself. You need to accept all at face value with no preconceptions. I have been made to feel very welcome here and only two weeks in we love the place. Yes, we are probably still in 'excited holiday' mode but I actually like the differences, which are many, between UK and Oz. One thing I did not do was come out here with rose tinted spectacles expecting the Home and Away lifestyle and so to me I approach everything in a wholly new view. We all speak the same language yet we don't, we all eat the same food yet we don't, we all like the same sports yet we don't. What I am trying to say is that it is different aspects of the same things we are used to. Ignorant? No, sometimes abrupt yes! TBH you sound more like an american than a brit, now I am generalising!!, americans expect EVERYTHING to be like what they are used to and it isn't.
You should maybe take a step back and really look at what you have or don't have and if its not for you then go back, its not failure its just not for you. Success is measured in happiness, if you are not happy than find a way to change that.
Your perception is entirely yours to make, but really, be intelligent about this and be totally factual in your opinions otherwise you MAY be made to look foolish and ignorant.
Whinging Poms huh, who said its a myth!!

How can you be 'factual' about a subjective topic?

Anyway thanks for your reply.

I didnt come here with 'rose tinted spectacles'. I knew there would be high points and low points about making such a change; perhaps you might re-visit this thread in 6 months
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:42 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peed_Off
How can you be 'factual' about a subjective topic?

Anyway thanks for your reply.

I didnt come here with 'rose tinted spectacles'. I knew there would be high points and low points about making such a change; perhaps you might re-visit this thread in 6 months
lol..perhaps!!!!

No, I am used to moving around and different customs etc, I am ex Navy so maybe I have been conditioned to acceptance!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
STEP AWAY FROM THE TROLL
Spoilsport. Ooops just realised, it was probably me that should have made your statement
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:55 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's just that Queensland doesn't suit you guys?

We are in Melbourne and have found all the Aussies we have met so far friendly, helpful and laid back.

The Aussie couple we bought our house from got their sister (a broker) to put our finance through, they all came round with wine for a housewarming day after we moved in & we are going out in the city with them soon. Plus they rang with info re good doctors when I was unwell.

I went shopping for work clothes this morning and every store assistant I dealt with was chatty & pleasant-even in our local food store they joke and point out good specials on wine we may have missed.

Our neighbours are all really friendly too.

Perhaps you should consider trying another state (if possible) before you look at returning to the UK?

Hope things get better for you
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

For the record - I don't think the OP's a troll. He's struggling to fit in here and failing. Can't say I agree with anything he's said - but he's in QLD and I'm in NSW - maybe things are better down here. He's entitled to his opinion whether we agree with it or not.

Small side factoid - did a job today at a house where the family had just moved down from Noosa. They were elated to be here and waxed lyrical about the shopping, restaurants, schools, job situation etc ...
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Maybe it's just that Queensland doesn't suit you guys?

We are in Melbourne and have found all the Aussies we have met so far friendly, helpful and laid back.

The Aussie couple we bought our house from got their sister (a broker) to put our finance through, they all came round with wine for a housewarming day after we moved in & we are going out in the city with them soon. Plus they rang with info re good doctors when I was unwell.

I went shopping for work clothes this morning and every store assistant I dealt with was chatty & pleasant-even in our local food store they joke and point out good specials on wine we may have missed.

Our neighbours are all really friendly too.

Perhaps you should consider trying another state (if possible) before you look at returning to the UK?

Hope things get better for you

Yeah, perhaps its just the Gold Coast?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Wow! I have good days and if I'm honest a lot of bad days - but boy do you sound angry.

We've had many upsetting disappointing experiences, for one we relocated from Adelaide to SE QLD! Which with three children 21,17 & 15 was not easy. We've had to take on board many subtle differences which have at time completely overwhelmed us. I'll also admit to having many 'anti Australian' days. However, life really is what you make it, if this isn't for you change it. If to you this is so subjective then you could do your best to re-frame your experiences. After all some say there is no reality only perception.

I really do hope that what ever you decide you are happier for having done so.

T
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:05 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peed_Off
After the couple of years we have taken to get here (SE.QLD) and having been here for best part of a year, we are in the unfortunate position of not having settled at all, but arent sure whether to plod on for another year or two to see if we feel different.

Her we go....

We feel that the schools are absolute crap...teach them nothing...our kids are going backwards rather than forwards.

Australians are just plain ignoramuses (I know I am painting with a broad brush here but thats our perception). They are rude, walk about like dossers, have no manners and are arrogant sods. They are also NOT laid back or slipsteamed for the outdoors lifestyle. They are mostly stressed out, fat and go to bed at 8 oclock. Again apologies - just our perception. They make no effort to talk to you, even though you make the effort for them.

The weather is too hot and humid, even aussies will admit this for several months. It gets dark at bloody 6.30'ish on average all year. Wheres the lifestyle in that?

The wages are chronically absurd.

WTF is it with these hoons?

Our main reason to leave the UK was for a western modern english speaking environment (ie like the UK) with a good climate. The weather is nothing, and I mean nothing, when it comes down to it. Its amazing how you can be sucked into the glossy ads.

Yes, we've been to expat things and have friends here. My feeling is that beneath many of the expats veneer, they really hate the place as well and would like to go back to the UK, but its like nobody is telling how they feel in case they want to be seen as a failure.

We just dont know what to do. Whether to give it more time or just accept that we dont feel comfortable here and never will? Going back to the UK has its problems but when you walk down the street you at least feel comfortable with where you are.

Apologies if I have offended anyone, but better to be brutally honest.
Ok, thanks for coming..........NEXT!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Wow! I have good days and if I'm honest a lot of bad days - but boy do you sound angry.

We've had many upsetting disappointing experiences, for one we relocated from Adelaide to SE QLD! Which with three children 21,17 & 15 was not easy. We've had to take on board many subtle differences which have at time completely overwhelmed us. I'll also admit to having many 'anti Australian' days. However, life really is what you make it, if this isn't for you change it. If to you this is so subjective then you could do your best to re-frame your experiences. After all some say there is no reality only perception.

I really do hope that what ever you decide you are happier for having done so.

T
Thanks for your reply.

Whats the point of this thread. I expect many a 'bugger off then' replies.

I suppose it's partly looking to see if anyone hated it initially and felt similar things but stuck it out and it changed for them or are still feeling similar things, or for those who stuck it out only to regret sticking it out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.