Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bloody excess baggage - dont think so!!

bloody excess baggage - dont think so!!

Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:35 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of
Default bloody excess baggage - dont think so!!

hi guys, just spoken to Excess baggage about shipping over a few items, basically some CD's, DVD's photos and personal stuff it fits into two small boxes!
anyway, spoke to them they want £144 to ship (not too bad i guess for a tea carton) but then on top of that, they want £12 to ship cardboard boxes to me, even though they are supposed to be free on their site, then they charge another £25 to collect even though i am quite capable of taking the stuff to my local excess luggage office, and then possibly want to charge various other stuff at the other end!!
what the heck is going on!! its only a box of CD's for flips sake!!
help please?
any ideas?
thanks
vb2
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:40 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bloody excess baggage - dont think so!!

Originally Posted by vb2
hi guys, just spoken to Excess baggage about shipping over a few items, basically some CD's, DVD's photos and personal stuff it fits into two small boxes!
anyway, spoke to them they want £144 to ship (not too bad i guess for a tea carton) but then on top of that, they want £12 to ship cardboard boxes to me, even though they are supposed to be free on their site, then they charge another £25 to collect even though i am quite capable of taking the stuff to my local excess luggage office, and then possibly want to charge various other stuff at the other end!!
help please?
any ideas?
thanks
vb2
If you're happy to pack it yourself, take a look at http://www.upakweship.com/. I've never used them but I recall them being recommended on here a while back.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:48 am
vb2

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

thanks i will give them a go

regards
vb2
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Pack it yourself and deliver it to the Excess Baggage office at Heathrow as you leave
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We bought 2 of those 72 pocket CD/DVD holders, chucked all the cases and then took them on as hand luggage.

No worries
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the post office - it can be much cheaper to ship that sort of thing by parcel mail.

And probably the customs/AQIS would be easier too.

We had a new concrete statue shipped out to us last month from the manufacturer. It took most of a day to collect it, involving the shippers agent (who we had to pay), customs (twice, since the agent sent us to the wrong place 15km away: who we had to pay), AQIS (who we had to pay) and finally the collection agent (who we had to pay). The total distance travelled some 90Km on top of driving to and from Sydney!

I would go for the post office!

Last edited by Wol; Feb 14th 2006 at 5:41 am. Reason: addition
Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:08 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by vb2
help please?
any ideas?
thanks
vb2
We had some excess baggage (10kg bag) at the airport and handed it in to th excess baggage guys at Heathrow for them to send on to us and it cost 100quid. They are good but you will most probably be charged a quarantine inspection fee at the other end - we were charged about $160 when we collected. I thought it was a good service.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:28 am
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by vb2
help please?
any ideas?
thanks
vb2
have you tried having a look at interparcel ??? don't know but it may work out cheaper sending it parcelforce/royal mail etc through them
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:07 am
vb2

thanks guys, we were thinking of sending via royal mail, but wasnt sure if they would do it!! was also thinking about taking them all out of the cases too but hubby not up for that idea (typical!!)
thanks for the replies
regards
vb2
Old Feb 18th 2006, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

tuftyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vb2
help please?
any ideas?
thanks
vb2
Think you may want to try them again as it seems like they are ripping you off!! We were initially quoted £125.00 for two tea cartons. I thought this price was so good i kept adding to it and in the end sent four tea cartons and 1 small box for about £300.00. We had to pay $80 this end but that includes delivery to Noosa, QLD. The only complaint i have is we still don't have the boxes which were sent end of October but that is to do with Australian customs not excess baggage, although I will be complaining very soon if they don't hurry the hell up!!!
Try telling them you have had a better quote, all call just before closing as think they try cram the sales in then!! Good luck!!!!