Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bloody Cockroaches !!!

Bloody Cockroaches !!!

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default Bloody Cockroaches !!!

I can cope with spiders and snakes but i detest cock roaches !! :scared:

Husband sound asleep catching flies, because we are going away 2.00am(Although he insists he hardly ever sleeps) and the kids start running around and screaming upstairs, chasing a bloody cockroach round the bedroom.

How can those things run so bloody fast

I have managed to catch it in a 'Tupperware' Tub (New i would find a use for it)

Its currently underneath the tub with a ton of books weighing it down waiting for the old man to move it when he wakes up.

Daughter insists she cant sleep in the same room.

arrrgh!! - Sorry kids men and coachroaches all seem to fall into the same category at the moment
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bloody Cockroaches !!!

Eugh, you have my sympathy as we had cockies when we first moved in here. Mortein bombs are good to blitz them out and bait traps are also good. I had the nasty experience of opening the sliding door and one dropped on me Needless to say I scrubbed myself with soap and sprayed the bu99er with mortein!
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

pomcol is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Bloody Cockroaches !!!

Originally Posted by jwinch

Husband sound asleep catching flies, because we are going away 2.00am(Although he insists he hardly ever sleeps) and the kids start running around and screaming upstairs, chasing a bloody cockroach round the bedroom.

I have managed to catch it in a 'Tupperware' Tub (New i would find a use for it)

Its currently underneath the tub with a ton of books weighing it down waiting for the old man to move it when he wakes up.

arrrgh!! - Sorry kids men and coachroaches all seem to fall into the same category at the moment
Wait till June you will have plenty of those Blue Cockroaches around, only way to get rid of them is a Mighty Maroon Cane Toad.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 12:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwinch

They are the bane of my life. Hideous creatures.
Get several cans of Baygon and keep them handy at various points round the house. Zap the roach when you see it and it will curl up and die a wriggly death in front of you. Very satisfying! Don't bother catching them, just zap them to kingdom come.
We had a plague coming in through the shower drain - Mortein Profesional has dealt with them (thanks ABC & Proofreader!)
Deepest sympathy - I know EXACTLY how your daughter feels.......
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomcol
Wait till June you will have plenty of those Blue Cockroaches around, only way to get rid of them is a Mighty Maroon Cane Toad.
I'd never heard of a "Blue Cockroach" , so I looked it up http://www.usyd.edu.au/publications/...305_roach.html

More highly evolved than the introduced common kitchen cupboard varieties, the native Australian cockroaches are environmentally friendly and wouldn't be seen dead in a house, They are incredibly clean," said Professor Rose
Is he trying to tell us something about our houses ?

and then he said this:
"They make great pets but are fairly sensitive to their living conditions. There is still much to be learned about these fascinating creatures," he said.

Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:01 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

"They make great pets
:scared: :scared:
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:08 am
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

We have found the barrier spray to be very effective, you spray it round the entire perimeter of your house, then anything that crosses it dies immediately. You need to respray every couple of months though.

Spray available from Bunnings
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Is it true that once you have roaches in the house, you will be likely to take them to your next place, as they will be in your stuff? Am I doomed to live with cockies for ever? Maybe I should make friends with them
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If they get stuck in your ear fill the ear up with cooking oil. The roach will then float out. Not tried it but insects in ears was covered in a first aid course I did. Same goes for any insect. For poisonous insects it is recommended a doctor do the procedure but they will probably use oil.

We bombed the flat last year and that killed loads of em and sterilised a few as well. It has been cooler this year so they have not been as bad.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:23 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Larissa
Is it true that once you have roaches in the house, you will be likely to take them to your next place, as they will be in your stuff? Am I doomed to live with cockies for ever? Maybe I should make friends with them
It is true. Brother in law moved out 4 hours west of Sydney. The cockies were around until the cold winter finished them off. Now they have no roaches.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:41 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Larissa
Is it true that once you have roaches in the house, you will be likely to take them to your next place, as they will be in your stuff?
When we moved to QLD we left ours behind in Sydney

We had them there as we had Palm Trees, and they love Palm Trees

We sprayed all the cardboard boxes to ensure they didn't move into the boxes, as they also love cardboard and paper.

Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We have a 16 week old labrador puppy an he loves killing them. He chases them all round the garden and if one gets in to the house he gets particularly evil
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:22 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

with you totally on the roachies - hate them especially when they fly and land on you :scared:

Originally Posted by Billabong
We have a 16 week old labrador puppy an he loves killing them. He chases them all round the garden and if one gets in to the house he gets particularly evil
And then does the cute little puppy come up and give you a big sloppy kiss?
Old Jan 4th 2005, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Bloody Cockroaches !!!

Hello there, I had a friend in the UK who had a nasty experience with a cockroach. When she was little her mother found the shell (I think its called a carapace) of a cockroach in...........the roof of her mouth (would fit nicely wouldn't it) . The contents were gone, yum yum. Glad I wasn't her mother.
Karen
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:39 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Muzzman
Hello there, I had a friend in the UK who had a nasty experience with a cockroach. When she was little her mother found the shell (I think its called a carapace) of a cockroach in...........the roof of her mouth (would fit nicely wouldn't it) . The contents were gone, yum yum. Glad I wasn't her mother.
Karen
OK, come on guys, I can't be the only one heading for a sleepless night now...... :scared: ARRGGHHHH!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.