Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bloody brilliant book that all potential migrants to OZ should read before going!!!

Bloody brilliant book that all potential migrants to OZ should read before going!!!

Old Sep 27th 2006, 4:51 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bloody brilliant book that all potential migrants to OZ should read before going!!!

I bought this book at the weekend and haven't been able to put it down - it truly has to be one of the best reads for anyone contemplating migrating to OZ. Can be bought in Waterstones for £11.99.

CultureSHOCK! Australia
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Bloody brilliant book that all potential migrants to OZ should read before going!

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
I bought this book at the weekend and haven't been able to put it down - it truly has to be one of the best reads for anyone contemplating migrating to OZ. Can be bought in Waterstones for £11.99.

CultureSHOCK! Australia
This book was written in the early 90s, and was supposed to have been updated for subsequent editions.

But as late as 2002, reviewers on amazon.co.uk were still complaining about its lack of relevance:

As interesting and informative this guide to Australia and the Australians is, it's really let down by the fact that it was written in the early 1990s (1991 I guess), and despite the numerous revisions listed in the front of the book, there's far too much dated material left over.

This book is in desperate need of rewriting. The constant references to "recent" events in the 80s and early 90s confuses and misinforms the reader, e.g. there's talk of a "recent" recession but it's not clear if this is text from the original draft around 1991 or a reference to the world economic slowdown of 1999-2002.

The book also talks of current high Oz interest rates, when in fact, as of today (mid 2002), Oz interest rates are at their lowest in a long long time.

I can only recommend this book if you are desperate to read more about the Oz way of life. In between the references to history from the perspective of current events, there are plenty of useful insights and analysis of Australian people, lifestyles and culture. It's just a shame we have to read about the "recent" exploits of Pat Cash at Wimbledon for example.
Here.

Seeing that Waterstones is now offering a 2005 edition, I hope that the much-needed update has finally arrived. If not, this could very well be a case of £11.99 that might have been spent on a superior publication.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:35 pm

Default Re: Bloody brilliant book that all potential migrants to OZ should read before going!

You are right Vash, I had seen a copy of this book before and didn't buy it because of its lack of current relevance.

The edition I have, is indeed the revised 2005 edition, fully up to date with large sections of it re-written, according to the author.

I have found it invaluable so far for information regarding Australian History - granted, they fit it onto a couple of pages, but I was amazed at some of the facts that I didn't know!

For example, did you know the KIWI accent is heralded from that of the Scots?

Did you also kow that Koalas are prone to Chlamydia and that some Australian marsupials have bifurcated penises (two choppers!)? Double the chance of breeding success!!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
This book was written in the early 90s, and was supposed to have been updated for subsequent editions.

But as late as 2002, reviewers on amazon.co.uk were still complaining about its lack of relevance:

As interesting and informative this guide to Australia and the Australians is, it's really let down by the fact that it was written in the early 1990s (1991 I guess), and despite the numerous revisions listed in the front of the book, there's far too much dated material left over.

This book is in desperate need of rewriting. The constant references to "recent" events in the 80s and early 90s confuses and misinforms the reader, e.g. there's talk of a "recent" recession but it's not clear if this is text from the original draft around 1991 or a reference to the world economic slowdown of 1999-2002.

The book also talks of current high Oz interest rates, when in fact, as of today (mid 2002), Oz interest rates are at their lowest in a long long time.

I can only recommend this book if you are desperate to read more about the Oz way of life. In between the references to history from the perspective of current events, there are plenty of useful insights and analysis of Australian people, lifestyles and culture. It's just a shame we have to read about the "recent" exploits of Pat Cash at Wimbledon for example.
Here.

Seeing that Waterstones is now offering a 2005 edition, I hope that the much-needed update has finally arrived. If not, this could very well be a case of £11.99 that might have been spent on a superior publication.

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Sep 27th 2006 at 5:39 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:07 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Bloody brilliant book that all potential migrants to OZ should read before going!

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
You are right Vash, I had seen a copy of this book before and didn't buy it because of its lack of current relevance.

The edition I have, is indeed the revised 2005 edition, fully up to date with large sections of it re-written, according to the author.
Nice one!

I have found it invaluable so far for information regarding Australian History - granted, they fit it onto a couple of pages, but I was amazed at some of the facts that I didn't know!
There you go; Australia does have a history after all!

For example, did you know the KIWI accent is heralded from that of the Scots?
Yep, I sure did. The Scottish influence on Kiwi culture is well documented; you need look no further than the place names to prove this, but the Kiwi vernacular (replete with Scottish idioms) confirms it beyond all reasonable doubt.

Did you also kow that Koalas are prone to Chlamydia
Nope!

and that some Australian marsupials have bifurcated penises (two choppers!)? Double the chance of breeding success!!
Nope! :scared:
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:12 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bloody brilliant book that all potential migrants to OZ should read before going!!!

I see there is an addition that was published April 2006 as well...

Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice
Default Re: Bloody brilliant book that all potential migrants to OZ should read before going!!!

Thanks for that, I'll definitely check it out!

Waterstones, Borders or WH Smith don't seem to have it online and Amazon don't seem to have an updated version under £25.00

Stanfords.co.uk sell it, it seems like a really good website dedicated to travel books and maps and even has GPS already loaded with Oz maps!

For the book, you need to go into Continent Australasia and then country Australia (sorry, I know that's obvious!), then under the book section you press Etiquette & Customs, but its the Marshall Cavendish 2006 version. Once I'm on a mission, no wonder I can't get any sorting out done!!!

Thanks again for that.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:02 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Is this not it?

Amazon
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

Oh yes, it is and its cheaper than £25! - don't know what I was looking at then :confused but it's cheaper than that other website too, nice one! thanks for that!
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:59 am

Default Re: Bloody brilliant book that all potential migrants to OZ should read before going!

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
Is this not it?

Amazon
Yup! Thats it Elsha!

Thats the one I bought, so guess I have an even more up to date version than I thought!
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Cambridge runner is just really niceCambridge runner is just really niceCambridge runner is just really niceCambridge runner is just really niceCambridge runner is just really niceCambridge runner is just really niceCambridge runner is just really niceCambridge runner is just really niceCambridge runner is just really niceCambridge runner is just really niceCambridge runner is just really nice

I picked one up in Waterstones today for £11.99 (I think?!?) 2006 version. I looked on Amazon last night and couldn't see it - spooky (or me being stupid - more likely!)
Looking forward to reading it...........
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

tell you what if you really want an eye opener then get yourself to your local TAFE and find out if they do a class called "Australian Society". I've been doing it all this year and it's amazing.

So far I've covered climate; states cities and towns; aboriginals; the first fleet and the early settlers; law and society; politics; goverment; and history since 1890 (just got up to the whitlam dismissal and Joh Bjelke-Petersen in QLD)

It's fascinating!
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by YoSemite
tell you what if you really want an eye opener then get yourself to your local TAFE and find out if they do a class called "Australian Society". I've been doing it all this year and it's amazing.

So far I've covered climate; states cities and towns; aboriginals; the first fleet and the early settlers; law and society; politics; goverment; and history since 1890 (just got up to the whitlam dismissal and Joh Bjelke-Petersen in QLD)

It's fascinating!
Good for you girl! I wonder how many migrants would bother themselves with someting like that?
Old Sep 28th 2006, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite

It's fascinating!

That would certainly appeal to me. Can you reccomend any books on aboriginal history. AS once my current course is finished i would be interesting in reading up on that.
Mandy
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on holidays for the next week and a bit - but I'll get you a decent book list once I get back to class!

a good recent aussie history one is "australia since 1890" (Lionel Dennis, longman publishers). it's a set text, aimed at yr 11 & 12s so makes for an easy read and isn't dry (like some other history books). It pays particulat attention in the later chapters to the menzies era, and then aus post 1966, including the Howard coalition.

I seriously believe that there's bits of the australian psyche that don't/won't make sense until you understand the history - especially the wars (WWI/II and Vietnam) and their subsequent effects!