Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bloody Australian Work Ethic!!!!

Bloody Australian Work Ethic!!!!

Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:40 am
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bloody Australian Work Ethic!!!!

Originally Posted by glittababe
He said a load of other things too that are not repeatable on here! Hubby is fuming, he said if we'd been face to face he wouldn't have been so cocky and rude, cos he'd have been flat on his back after I'd punched him! He kept on saying, "we're a large corporation, you do as we say"! He also said he wanted staff who'd be 120% committed to the job! What an insult! I then rattled on about how much money I make the company, that I make home visits to patient's, I drop scripts off, provide child health and immunisation clinics, well woman clinics etc etc his reply was "you don't make us money, you make the Dr money, if you stopped all of that it wouldn't make any difference to how we run"! I also pointed out that committment's two way, it was like banging your head against a brick wall.
I am appauled!

Surely you too have a contract which presumably states 4 days ?

Are you in any kind of union that could be of help ?

What awful circumstances to work in and also for the new nurse to start working in.I know i wouldnt want to work under those circumstances.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
thats bang out of order!!! if nurses was so easily replacable why are they on the jobs in demand list!!!
Its totally out of order but its not an uncommon type of attitude at all.

Skills shortage, yes probably in some areas. But this is a big thing people dont get about australia - Its a huge place, BUT most people want to live in the same few bits, handful of major cities and even more so the coastal areas one hour from ciities.

Areas like this are so sought after by aussies let alone immigrants many jobs come up with several hundred applicants chasing them. Eg, they claim it would take 15 years to get a perm state teaching post on the coasts, bank jobs - a good position comes up on the coast people all over the state will apply for it. Nurses, most positions are casual, dont know about annie being told to get stuffed, our aussie neighbour shes about 50 been nursing for years, she got told to get stuffed cause she wont do nights, plenty of others will if she wont.

Employers know the desirable areas and know if you wont do the job plenty of others will. Skills shortage is more outback, out west, woop woop...
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

my advice (for what its worth) as a fellow nurse,
tell them exactly where to shove their job, nurses are thin on the ground and you should be able to secure another job somewhere, you never know it might be a better job, doesnt sound like it could be much worse, and you wouldnt have to work with the person that has cost you $150:curse: .

Good luck

Beth
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreams of Oz
I am appauled!

Surely you too have a contract which presumably states 4 days ?

Are you in any kind of union that could be of help ?

What awful circumstances to work in and also for the new nurse to start working in.I know i wouldnt want to work under those circumstances.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
I feel sorry for her, cos its not her fault! She was totally unaware of any of this until she came in today and was faced with it all! My contracts worthless according to the med director. How can I work for a company that has treated me so badly? Hubby being very good about the whole thing, has told me not to worry and we'll 'manage' somehow, got to be realistic tho as I have rent to pay!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its totally out of order but its not an uncommon type of attitude at all.

Skills shortage, yes probably in some areas. But this is a big thing people dont get about australia - Its a huge place, BUT most people want to live in the same few bits, handful of major cities and even more so the coastal areas one hour from ciities.

Areas like this are so sought after by aussies let alone immigrants many jobs come up with several hundred applicants chasing them. Eg, they claim it would take 15 years to get a perm state teaching post on the coasts, bank jobs - a good position comes up on the coast people all over the state will apply for it. Nurses, most positions are casual, dont know about annie being told to get stuffed, our aussie neighbour shes about 50 been nursing for years, she got told to get stuffed cause she wont do nights, plenty of others will if she wont.

Employers know the desirable areas and know if you wont do the job plenty of others will. Skills shortage is more outback, out west, woop woop...

Exactly - nursing jobs are thin on the ground up here on the sunny coast, especially Noosa region. There aren't even any jobs in the public hospitals - just casual ones. I'm not saying you wouldn't get work, friends of mine who are on the pool at Nambour get phonecalls daily, but it tends to be last minute so you have to be available.

I told the receptionist I'd be in to clear out my office tomorrow, shes asked me to stay for a bit as I have stacks of patients booked in. Problem is I don't want the receptionist to suffer, or the patients for that matter! I think I have to get tough. The med director reckons its easy to replace a nurse, but at Eumundi??? They struggled getting me to work there in the first place. I only agreed to it cos my kids go to school opposite!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Must say - thats a crap attitude by management.

Good luck finding another position though. Think i'd be doing the same thing and walking.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:52 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly - nursing jobs are thin on the ground up here on the sunny coast, especially Noosa region. There aren't even any jobs in the public hospitals - just casual ones. I'm not saying you wouldn't get work, friends of mine who are on the pool at Nambour get phonecalls daily, but it tends to be last minute so you have to be available.

I told the receptionist I'd be in to clear out my office tomorrow, shes asked me to stay for a bit as I have stacks of patients booked in. Problem is I don't want the receptionist to suffer, or the patients for that matter! I think I have to get tough. The med director reckons its easy to replace a nurse, but at Eumundi??? They struggled getting me to work there in the first place. I only agreed to it cos my kids go to school opposite!
It's a shitty way to treat anyone Annie
My advice: After the photos you posted last week, quit tomorrow, clear your desk and take up freelance photography. Work 2 days a week down at the market flogging framed originals to cashed up yanks 10 photo's @ $50 a time is your necessary weekly cash inc the stall ..........................
If only it were that easy, hang on it could be you have the time, you have the equipment and you definitely have the talent
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Sorry no amount of money would get me to continue to work there!!! As soon as management told me to piss off then I would be off. Even if you can only get casual at the hospital at least you would have your pride, always priority in my book
Tracie
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

JulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=glittababe;4540908]

Eveuntually after several phonecalls, I finally get through to someone in charge and she said "if you don't reduce your hours, this new nurse will quit" /QUOTE]

"Annie if you want to piss off, then piss off and leave - doctors and nurses are easily replaceable"!

Sorry to jump in here but something just doesn't seem to add up. You were initially told that if you didn't reduce your hours the new nurse would quit so it sounds like they were concerned enough about having to replace the new nurse (for 1 day only) to put pressure on you. Then, in the next breath, they say that nurses are easily replaceable!

If nurses are easily replaceable then surely their preferred option would be to have to replace the 1 day a week nurse rather than the 4 day a week nurse (who has proved her/your worth by working there for a year). It sounds to me like they made a mistake by offering the other nurse the 2 day contract and now, rather than going back on their word, they want you to step in and sort it out for them by reducing your hours.

I'm not in nursing but I am an employer and cannot believe that anyone would speak to an employee the way you have been spoken to. In your position I would feel extremely undervalued and would look elsewhere - why work somewhere where they have a complete lack of respect for you?

Good luck whatever your decision is.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=JulesM;4541785]

Eveuntually after several phonecalls, I finally get through to someone in charge and she said "if you don't reduce your hours, this new nurse will quit" /QUOTE]

"Annie if you want to piss off, then piss off and leave - doctors and nurses are easily replaceable"!

Sorry to jump in here but something just doesn't seem to add up. You were initially told that if you didn't reduce your hours the new nurse would quit so it sounds like they were concerned enough about having to replace the new nurse (for 1 day only) to put pressure on you. Then, in the next breath, they say that nurses are easily replaceable!

If nurses are easily replaceable then surely their preferred option would be to have to replace the 1 day a week nurse rather than the 4 day a week nurse (who has proved her/your worth by working there for a year). It sounds to me like they made a mistake by offering the other nurse the 2 day contract and now, rather than going back on their word, they want you to step in and sort it out for them by reducing your hours.

I'm not in nursing but I am an employer and cannot believe that anyone would speak to an employee the way you have been spoken to. In your position I would feel extremely undervalued and would look elsewhere - why work somewhere where they have a complete lack of respect for you?

Good luck whatever your decision is.

Ahh thanks Jules. I'm not the only one to be treated like this, Kitty4 on here can tell you all about her dealings with this company! I've known what they were like from the start, but they'd left me alone so I kinda felt secure. How wrong? Sleeping on it tonight, will grab some newpapers tomorrow. Main job paper comes out on Saturday, the other option is to cold call a few surgeries in the area and see whats about. Will investigate opportunities for being a freelance photographer too. Maybe all this is a sign. Its kinda been an up and down couple of weeks, good news followed by bad but it could be all for a reason......
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

PegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the rough

hi hun!

Suzie says: can't believe you have been treated this way - you are a fantastic nurse and they are idiots for letting you leave!! big hugs to you and mark and i wish we could make things better for you both.....xxx

rich says:
Cannot believe what Sue told me about this after we spok tonight, right I reckon you do the following:
1) Cold call all the local surgeries tomorrow and se if you can get some leads or names of people to try for another position.
2) If you can stick with the current job (and I wouldn't blame if you can't following what that to**er said on the phone) then I would stay 'officially' in your current position, but either go off sick, work to rule or do anything to keep the money coming in.
3) I don't know with nursing, but is there any common body/union that you could complain to?
4) I would try to get hold of the directors or at least managers of this guy who said this stuff to you. I'd go to the top personally and put it in writing to them what you were promised and what this guy said. If you get no joy here then after you get another position i'd name the bugger on here or any web site and slate him and the organisation for what they are worth or go to the local press
5) forget about a market stall at eumundi for photos Your photos are fab, but Eumundi has 101 photo stalls and from what I've heard little of them make any money after the stall fee's.
6) does anyone else on here know of any nursing/doctors jobs around the sunshine coast? If so get onto Glittababe as se's the best nurse on the coast

We are thinking of you Annie and if it comes to it you can sell your middle son
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice

Hi Glittababe - just wanted to sympathise with you and offer you some constructive suggestions. As a former employer, and before that a trade union official I've sat on both sides of the fence. Firstly, do check out your legal position with centerlink or someone (sorry not familiar yet with Oz employment law). Either you have a contract of employment or you don't. Even if you are leaving, there may be the equivalent of constructive dismissal.. Secondly, I know you're a nurse, but I see you're in Eumundi.. We're heading out that way in September time and relocating our business from Hertfordshire to the Sunshine Coast. We'll be looking for staff to work for us along the Sunshine Coast (and at Eumundi markets). So let us know if you're looking for a change of career ... This is what we do.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly how Annie/Glittabae is being treated and sympathise, and like she said, it was only a matter of time with this company. They are a crap company who have little respect for anyone. I know from first hand experience with them. I'm glad I didn't stay long before telling them I wouldn't sign a contract with them. If I had signed it, I know I would have recieved the same treatment.
They have a shocking attitude towards skilled staff, nurses are a cheap commodity, to be used, abused and discarded.
It seems none of the so called managers/directors have an ounce of management know how and obviously no human resource management skills.
I don't know if Annie is a member of a union, as that might be a shock for the company to be challenged. However, I don't know if it is worth the stress and if the outcome would be any different. That's a personal choice to pursue.
I would leave now and let them cope. Bet the new nurse doesn't stay long. None do.
However, when you are relying on that money to pay the rent etc, it's really hard.
Like someone said, Annie is a top rate nurse, and would get a job easily around here, but the unsocial hours can be a problem in current circumstances and family come first.
Awful situation.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kitty4
I know exactly how Annie/Glittabae is being treated and sympathise, and like she said, it was only a matter of time with this company. They are a crap company who have little respect for anyone. I know from first hand experience with them. I'm glad I didn't stay long before telling them I wouldn't sign a contract with them. If I had signed it, I know I would have recieved the same treatment.
They have a shocking attitude towards skilled staff, nurses are a cheap commodity, to be used, abused and discarded.
It seems none of the so called managers/directors have an ounce of management know how and obviously no human resource management skills.
I don't know if Annie is a member of a union, as that might be a shock for the company to be challenged. However, I don't know if it is worth the stress and if the outcome would be any different. That's a personal choice to pursue.
I would leave now and let them cope. Bet the new nurse doesn't stay long. None do.
However, when you are relying on that money to pay the rent etc, it's really hard.
Like someone said, Annie is a top rate nurse, and would get a job easily around here, but the unsocial hours can be a problem in current circumstances and family come first.
Awful situation.
Thanks Kitty, Sue and Rich, its a difficult one. Told the receptionist I'd be in to clear my office, its 8.11am and I still haven't got the motivation to go in!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kitty, Sue and Rich, its a difficult one. Told the receptionist I'd be in to clear my office, its 8.11am and I still haven't got the motivation to go in!
You don't have a lot of luck with jobs do you?

Hope you sort this out.....find another job and then tell them to piss off.

Good luck

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.