British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bloody Australian Work Ethic!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bloody-australian-work-ethic-436121/)

glittababe Mar 21st 2007 3:58 am

Bloody Australian Work Ethic!!!!

Don't you just love the work ethic here, be it lack of one! I'm employed 4 days a week school hours at local med centre. Have been doing this for almost a year now. Hubby went away with police in Jan, so together with my colleague we made a private arrangement that she work 2 days and I work 3 until such times as I was ready to increase my hours back up to 4 days. Management knew, no probs. I felt ready to increase my days my colleague and I discussed it and I started doing the Mondays again a couple of weeks ago. Management aware of this and agree. My colleague has since handed in her notice as shes been head hunted to work at another place. Head office informed our receptionist that they would get a replacement. New nurse comes in and states she will ONLY work 2 days a week, without discussing it with me they tell the receptionist to tell me I have to reduce my hours to make way for this new nurse!!!!

Eveuntually after several phonecalls, I finally get through to someone in charge and she said "if you don't reduce your hours, this new nurse will quit" - I rightly said "I don't give a flying **** as she should have been told it was only for 1 day a week anyway"! I'm now on the brink of telling them to stick it. I've told the receptionist I'll make a decision by this evening. I love my job, my patients and the other staff but feel very undervalued, if they can do this to me after all the money I make them (its a lot) then they can just about get away with anything. Any thoughts?

NKSK version 2 Mar 21st 2007 4:08 am

Re: Bloody Australian Work Ethic!!!!

Originally Posted by glittababe (Post 4540908)
Don't you just love the work ethic here, be it lack of one! I'm employed 4 days a week school hours at local med centre. Have been doing this for almost a year now. Hubby went away with police in Jan, so together with my colleague we made a private arrangement that she work 2 days and I work 3 until such times as I was ready to increase my hours back up to 4 days. Management knew, no probs. I felt ready to increase my days my colleague and I discussed it and I started doing the Mondays again a couple of weeks ago. Management aware of this and agree. My colleague has since handed in her notice as shes been head hunted to work at another place. Head office informed our receptionist that they would get a replacement. New nurse comes in and states she will ONLY work 2 days a week, without discussing it with me they tell the receptionist to tell me I have to reduce my hours to make way for this new nurse!!!!

Eveuntually after several phonecalls, I finally get through to someone in charge and she said "if you don't reduce your hours, this new nurse will quit" - I rightly said "I don't give a flying **** as she should have been told it was only for 1 day a week anyway"! I'm now on the brink of telling them to stick it. I've told the receptionist I'll make a decision by this evening. I love my job, my patients and the other staff but feel very undervalued, if they can do this to me after all the money I make them (its a lot) then they can just about get away with anything. Any thoughts?

Whilst I agree with you that the Australian work ethic can be wanting, in this case it just looks like good old crap management

bridie Mar 21st 2007 4:10 am

My only thought (apart from what a bunch of plugs) is, do you really want to chuck in a job you love for the sake of a day's lost work a week?

Yes, there is the principle and they shouldnt have done it BUT if you are happy there then that counts for a lot.

Will send you some k :)

glittababe Mar 21st 2007 4:23 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 4540914)
My only thought (apart from what a bunch of plugs) is, do you really want to chuck in a job you love for the sake of a day's lost work a week?

Yes, there is the principle and they shouldnt have done it BUT if you are happy there then that counts for a lot.

Will send you some k :)

its more the money side of it, I need to earn $900 a fortnight, if I reduce a day, I'll lose approx $150. Reducing my hours isn't an option, I've always worked 4 days a week, bar 3 weeks where I was getting kids settled etc It is crap management, I also find it very underhand, I don't trust the management. I've watched them do this (and worst) to other nurses at other centres and wondered when it would be my time. I need to have secure work and at the moment I just don't know whats going on.

bridie Mar 21st 2007 4:51 am

Ah, OK

In that case I'd probably look for something else, no point being there if it isnt bringing in the bacon

Totally out of order though, but like many things job-related seems there's nothing you can do and nobody in any authority gives a stuff....

Good luck with the job hunting :)

chels Mar 21st 2007 5:06 am

Originally Posted by glittababe (Post 4540941)
its more the money side of it, I need to earn $900 a fortnight, if I reduce a day, I'll lose approx $150. Reducing my hours isn't an option, I've always worked 4 days a week, bar 3 weeks where I was getting kids settled etc It is crap management, I also find it very underhand, I don't trust the management. I've watched them do this (and worst) to other nurses at other centres and wondered when it would be my time. I need to have secure work and at the moment I just don't know whats going on.

If they can do this to you, what else could they do? If something similar happened to me, I would find it hard to feel secure in that role and there would always be a bit of concern in the back of my mind... and frankly, how enjoyable is a job under such circumstances?

How easy would it be for you to find another job?

jad n rich Mar 21st 2007 5:10 am

School hours jobs are few and far between, almost unheard of most stuff is 24/7 you work when we want you. Might be better to use the extra day off to look for other work before chucking it all in.

glittababe Mar 21st 2007 5:27 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4540979)
If they can do this to you, what else could they do? If something similar happened to me, I would find it hard to feel secure in that role and there would always be a bit of concern in the back of my mind... and frankly, how enjoyable is a job under such circumstances?

How easy would it be for you to find another job?

Not sure haven't really started looking. The old place I used to work are interested in having me back, but on a lower rate. Its all about bringing in the bacon. I think Jad n Rich are right about using the day off to look for work. Calling hubby tonight to disucss it properly as he tends to be the sensible one. I don't feel very secure tho. The nurse is coming in tomorrow for orientation, just wondering how the atmosphere will be between us? She barely spoke 2 words to me on the phone yesterday! She wants me to back down and reduce my hours to accommodate her but why should I?

wren Mar 21st 2007 5:33 am

What a bloody cheek :mad:

CathnPaul Mar 21st 2007 7:37 am

Originally Posted by glittababe (Post 4541007)
Not sure haven't really started looking. The old place I used to work are interested in having me back, but on a lower rate. Its all about bringing in the bacon. I think Jad n Rich are right about using the day off to look for work. Calling hubby tonight to disucss it properly as he tends to be the sensible one. I don't feel very secure tho. The nurse is coming in tomorrow for orientation, just wondering how the atmosphere will be between us? She barely spoke 2 words to me on the phone yesterday! She wants me to back down and reduce my hours to accommodate her but why should I?

could you not offer the company an extra day instead?? to cover 5?? just another thought, that way they still have the same cover and she will be able to find something somewhere else??

glittababe Mar 21st 2007 8:15 am

Originally Posted by CathnPaul (Post 4541266)
could you not offer the company an extra day instead?? to cover 5?? just another thought, that way they still have the same cover and she will be able to find something somewhere else??

not as easy as that, they've apparently put in her contract 2 days a week, they're saying they have to give her that now! Just spent the last 2 hrs on phonecalls to one person or another. I asked for an appointment with the company director, the secretary told me the company directors don't meet with staff! Med director comes on phone and says "Annie if you want to piss off, then piss off and leave - doctors and nurses are easily replaceable"! Charming hey?

CathnPaul Mar 21st 2007 8:20 am

Originally Posted by glittababe (Post 4541375)
not as easy as that, they've apparently put in her contract 2 days a week, they're saying they have to give her that now! Just spent the last 2 hrs on phonecalls to one person or another. I asked for an appointment with the company director, the secretary told me the company directors don't meet with staff! Med director comes on phone and says "Annie if you want to piss off, then piss off and leave - doctors and nurses are easily replaceable"! Charming hey?

thats bang out of order!!! if nurses was so easily replacable why are they on the jobs in demand list!!! Blooming eck love - what are you going to do now?? stay where you are or look for somewhere else?? the ironic part of it is that you are WANTING to work the hours for them, not reduce them.

Wendy Mar 21st 2007 8:21 am

Originally Posted by glittababe (Post 4541375)

What does your contract say?, you could come back with 'well my contract says 4 days, so you'll have to give me that' ;)

glittababe Mar 21st 2007 8:27 am

Originally Posted by CathnPaul (Post 4541385)
thats bang out of order!!! if nurses was so easily replacable why are they on the jobs in demand list!!! Blooming eck love - what are you going to do now?? stay where you are or look for somewhere else?? the ironic part of it is that you are WANTING to work the hours for them, not reduce them.

He said a load of other things too that are not repeatable on here! Hubby is fuming, he said if we'd been face to face he wouldn't have been so cocky and rude, cos he'd have been flat on his back after I'd punched him! He kept on saying, "we're a large corporation, you do as we say"! He also said he wanted staff who'd be 120% committed to the job! What an insult! I then rattled on about how much money I make the company, that I make home visits to patient's, I drop scripts off, provide child health and immunisation clinics, well woman clinics etc etc his reply was "you don't make us money, you make the Dr money, if you stopped all of that it wouldn't make any difference to how we run"! I also pointed out that committment's two way, it was like banging your head against a brick wall.

glittababe Mar 21st 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4541390)
What does your contract say?, you could come back with 'well my contract says 4 days, so you'll have to give me that' ;)

I pointed this out, the med director reckons that as my contract changed from ppt to casual in November (my choice as I went on a job share with colleague), my contracts worth jack shite! I contacted the sunshine coast division of GP's for advice, spoke to a nurse and she said she'd come with me to meet with the directors; I told the director and he told me "you can bring whoever you like with you but we won't entertain them on these premises"!