Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Bloke (mine not Polly's) just became a POM

The Bloke (mine not Polly's) just became a POM

Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:39 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default The Bloke (mine not Polly's) just became a POM

After a few months of messing around Ant had his British Citizenship ceremony Yesterday Morning.

We had to go down to Perth which was all a major rush Flew down Monday ran around like lunatics getting 2 of his old friends to sign his passport application and photos , up early on Tues and went to the British Consulate and he had to stand infront of a piccy of the queen and swear he loved her, drink a cup of tea (in a posh cup and saucer) eat a biscuit and is now a fully fledged POM. Ahh the fun I am having with this one.

Just to reiterate what Jeremy (JAJ) has said a million times If you are an Aussie living in the UK and are entitled to apply for citizenship you can apply before you leave and do the ceremony over here in Australia.

Only 3.5 years until I can apply for my Aussie citizenship (just worked out that by then we would have been together for 8 years) and we can finally be a norrmal couple who can legally come and go from eachothers homes without having to fill forms in.

Kala
Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:52 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: The Bloke (mine not Polly's) just became a POM

Originally Posted by JayDeee
After a few months of messing around Ant had his British Citizenship ceremony Yesterday Morning.

We had to go down to Perth which was all a major rush Flew down Monday ran around like lunatics getting 2 of his old friends to sign his passport application and photos , up early on Tues and went to the British Consulate and he had to stand infront of a piccy of the queen and swear he loved her, drink a cup of tea (in a posh cup and saucer) eat a biscuit and is now a fully fledged POM. Ahh the fun I am having with this one.

Just to reiterate what Jeremy (JAJ) has said a million times If you are an Aussie living in the UK and are entitled to apply for citizenship you can apply before you leave and do the ceremony over here in Australia.

Only 3.5 years until I can apply for my Aussie citizenship (just worked out that by then we would have been together for 8 years) and we can finally be a norrmal couple who can legally come and go from eachothers homes without having to fill forms in.

Kala
Great news Kala

Hope it was Yorkshire tea

And...wot no cream scooones wiv his tea! Not a proper Pom yet then

Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:04 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Great news Kala

Hope it was Yorkshire tea

And...wot no cream scooones wiv his tea! Not a proper Pom yet then
It was Twinings English Breakfast Tea and very nice it was 2. No scones just Biscuits. I dont like scones tho so am I not a propper POM either

Kala
Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:37 am
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

Just to throw a twist on this.

Our kids had Aussie citizenship by way of their mothers Australian birth. When our new one is born what is the procedure regarding citizenship? Will the baby have automatic Aussie citizenship and need to apply for British or will the child automatically get both or none?

Sorry to hijack but the question may help others too.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Duck
Just to throw a twist on this.

Our kids had Aussie citizenship by way of their mothers Australian birth. When our new one is born what is the procedure regarding citizenship? Will the baby have automatic Aussie citizenship and need to apply for British or will the child automatically get both or none? .
Where will the child be born - Australia or UK?

Jeremy
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:47 am
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Where will the child be born - Australia or UK?

Jeremy
Sorry, I should of been more clear.

The other kids were born in the Uk but now we have all koved to QLD and I have a PR Spouse Visa.

The new addition to our family will be born in QLD.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:52 am
Phoenixuk2oz

It was Twinings English Breakfast Tea and very nice it was 2. No scones just Biscuits. I dont like scones tho so am I not a propper POM either

Kala
You're only a proper Pom if you dunked yer biscuits

Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:10 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Duck
Sorry, I should of been more clear.

The other kids were born in the Uk but now we have all koved to QLD and I have a PR Spouse Visa.

The new addition to our family will be born in QLD.
If you are british (otherwise than by decent), you are married to mother and the child is born in Oz, then the child is Australian and British (by decent). You don't have to inform the British Authorities.

British (by decent) means that they cannot pass on their britishness; unless they go and live in the UK for 3 years (I think) and apply to become British (otherwise than by decent).

If you are not married to the mum then you cannot pass on your britishness.

Regards
Alistair
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:13 am

Kala
Hello,

Is he allowed to choose his nationality, i.e. can be elect to be Welsh, Scottish or Irish, rather than a pom?

Regards
Alistair
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
If you are british (otherwise than by decent), you are married to mother and the child is born in Oz, then the child is Australian and British (by decent). You don't have to inform the British Authorities.
But it's advisable to document the child's British citizenship as soon as possible by getting a British passport.

In some cases, eg where the parents are not married, the child needs to be registered as British and there is a time limit.

For the child's Australian citizenship, the birth cert proves nothing so use form 119 (if born in Australia) to get a citizenship cert:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/119.pdf
The fee is AUD55.

British (by decent) means that they cannot pass on their britishness; unless they go and live in the UK for 3 years (I think) and apply to become British (otherwise than by decent).
A British citizen by descent cannot become British otherwise than by descent. But if you are British by descent and then have a child born outside the UK, it can be registered as British provided you act within 12 months of birth.

Children born in Britain will automatically be British.

If you are not married to the mum then you cannot pass on your britishness.
No longer correct. Since early 2000 children of unmarried British fathers can be registered as British citizens provided application is made before age 18 (and the child is not British some other way).

Jeremy
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Kala
Great news Kala,
I keep telling me hubby to apply for british citizenship (he's a kiwi) before we leave. I didn't know you could apply and still leave. How long did it take and how long did they keep his passport for.
Thanks
KAZ
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:54 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Great news Kala,
I keep telling me hubby to apply for british citizenship (he's a kiwi) before we leave. I didn't know you could apply and still leave. How long did it take and how long did they keep his passport for.
1. You can apply and leave if you are married to a British citizen. However it's better to complete the process in the UK as if you apply, leave and then there's some problem you likely won't be able to reapply unless you still meet the residence requirements.

2. Send them a certified copy of all passport pages (covering the 3 year residence period) instead of the passport itself - they normally accept this.

Jeremy
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:01 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I had half a brain added last week here in the UK... my British Shitizenship Will apply for a Brit passport soon even though I`ll probably never use it... but if ever I need to get back to the UK one day it would be handy. It was a nice ceremony and I was rather proud at being welcomed back as a citizen of the homeland. At the very least my grand-kids can get an ancestry visa (it doesn`t go further than grandparents) which allows them to work in the UK for 4 years... that`s how I got in... Grandad was from Greenwich (London).

re the half-brain bit.... my wife`s family (all English living in Perth) had their Aussie citizenship ceremony`s and say they had half their brain taken out. Old joke.... so I have a full brain now

My little girl was born here in the UK, and what a pain it has been to make sure we`re allowed to take her to Aus with us.... had to get her registered as an Aus citizen and have to go into London next week to hand in her passport forms in person and have an interview. Hopefully will get her passport a couple of weeks after that so she`s allowed into Aus. Crazy eh?

Our other little bundle of joy won`t be born in Kent, but Perth (I`m hoping for King Edward Memorial where I was born, rather than Armadale), and we`ll make sure he/she get`s their British cit. forms sent off asap.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Children born in Britain will automatically be British.
But only if at least one of the parents is British (by any means).

Originally Posted by JAJ
No longer correct. Since early 2000 children of unmarried British fathers can be registered as British citizens provided application is made before age 18 (and the child is not British some other way).

Jeremy
How does that reconcile with the following note from this web page: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...tizenship.html

B. Women can pass on their British citizenship to illegitimate children, but men cannot.
Regards
Alistair
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
A British citizen by descent cannot become British otherwise than by descent. But if you are British by descent and then have a child born outside the UK, it can be registered as British provided you act within 12 months of birth.
Jeremy
This was the case I was thinking of:
Registration where the Family has Returned to the United Kingdom
If, after the birth of your child, you and your faimly return to the United Kingdom to live, your child will have an entitlement to be registered as a British citizen if:
· you are a British citizen by descent, or your husband or your wife is a British citizen by descent;
· you, your husband or wife, and your child all return to the United Kingdom to live for three years (see notes E and G); and
· both parents consent to the registration (see note H)
Paragraph 15 explains how to apply for registration. An application under this provision must be made before the child’s eighteenth birthday. The child will, on registration, be a British citizen otherwise than by descent.
I guess this is the case where the child has been registered within the 12 months to parents at least one of whom is British (by decent).

I can't see anything in the naturalisation process that excludes people who are British by decent from naturalising - am I missing something?

Regards
Alistair

Last edited by kirsty&al; Apr 27th 2005 at 12:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.