Wikiposts

blluurrrgh

Old Jun 13th 2004, 11:26 am
kong

Default blluurrrgh

This is probably not applicable to many on this forum but anyway;

I dont eat meat/fish etc, havent for 15 years so I found it a real struggle to find any decent vege products in the supermarkets in oz. The restaurants were not exactly imaginative in their offerings either. In the UK a chinese or indian restaurant would offer loads of nice vege options, not in OZ though!!

Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:36 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: blluurrrgh

Originally posted by kong
This is probably not applicable to many on this forum but anyway;
It is totally applicable. It's the posts about migration that don't belong here.

I dont eat meat/fish etc, havent for 15 years so I found it a real struggle to find any decent vege products in the supermarkets in oz. The restaurants were not exactly imaginative in their offerings either. In the UK a chinese or indian restaurant would offer loads of nice vege options, not in OZ though!!
The supemarkets sell fresh veggies right? We all know the prepackaged meals on offer are sadly lacking compared to the UK, if that's your thing.

I guess it depends where you go, most restaurants in Perth have veggie options and I'm sure the same will apply in the other big cities.

Counter lunch options in Mt Isa, Kunnunurra or any bush town might be different.

If you ask what they recommend for veggies in cattle country you might be recommended to get the hell out of town.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:10 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by kong
I wonder which areas of the UK and of Oz you're thinking of. I've never found UK Chinese restaurants to be terribly good for veggie options, quite the opposite (limited and unimaginative), Indian ones being generally a much better bet. What's more, on brief examination I reckon the same is true in Oz (well Melbourne at least).

Nothing special about Oz either; I reckon on having to search harder than I would like to in any first-world country. (And I mean "search for a friendly restaurant" and "search through the menu".) But I'm a fussy bu**er. Don't offer me the crap plastic pizza!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by renth
It is totally applicable. It's the posts about migration that don't belong here.

ouch!
that's put some of us in our place.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:56 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Renth on this one - lots of fresh veggies in all the shops, and plenty of pastas (dried or fresh) and all possible types of rice, beans, lentils etc.

If you are looking for the synthetic "veggie meat" then from what I've seen you have the usual UK type choices minus quorn but you can get soya mince so most meatless "meat" dishes can be done.

Where you will have a problem in restaurants (at least in Perth) is if you are a true vegan. Most veggie dishes in restaurants seem to include "dairy" of some sort.

Indian is def your best choice but watch out for the ghee if you are vegan !!!

Here in Perth we have a Hare Krishna restaurant that serves only veggie foods - never been, but would expect that you have to also pay the price of listening to the "spiel".
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:00 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris

Here in Perth we have a Hare Krishna restaurant that serves only veggie foods - never been, but would expect that you have to also pay the price of listening to the "spiel".
You also pay what you think the meal was worth, there are no "prices" as such.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:02 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

You also pay what you think the meal was worth, there are no "prices" as such.
Govinda's. There's one in Brisbane too and their actual ashram or whatever you call it was out on the riverside in Chelmer or Graceville.

Great food.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:25 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, but that did make me