Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Blistering bites?

Blistering bites?

Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blistering bites?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Oh my crikey the blister I woke up to was HUGE...and I could even feel it when I walked, really tight feeling, not good! I cut a little hole into it with a sterilised blade this morning but now it's continuously weeping down my leg, let's hope it stops before I go to work as that'll not look very attractive when I'm sitting in staff meetings! GRRRR
Hi Jen, sorry to hear about your bad reaction to bites, the same thing happened to me. Red Tiger Balm was the only thing to keep me from scratching insanely and get some sleep, though I should probably have tried anti-histamines too (you can get non-drowsy ones).

This might get a bit gruesome . After the first few reactions like this, I found that the blister just kept on growing and growing until it eventually burst. Underneath was lots of fluid and a gel-like lump, then raw skin. The longer I left the blister, the bigger it would get, and the larger area of raw skin (and potential infection area and scar) I was left with. I used to go to GPs, who would all say "I've never seen anything like this before", and would cut it open, then dress it. After many $$$, I ended up getting a scalpel, sterile blades, anti-septic lotion and dressings and get my OH to do the "surgery".

I haven't had a really huge blister for a while now, and avoid getting bitten as much as I can, but still get small blister reactions. It took about 10 years of living here before this happened, though .
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:51 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Im reacting badly to any bite I get now. I have the scars of white tail bites -still healing over after weeks.

Last night I got 3 mozzie bites on my arm and now my arm is swollen and I feel crap. I never reacted to mozzie bites when I first moved here so I dont understand why I am now.

I got an infected spider bite nearly two years ago which resulted me being in hospital for several hours on a drip and since then, I react to everything. I bet if my bloody husband nibbled on my neck I would swell up.

My arm looks deformed today and that is just a mozzie bite!!! Whatever happend to gathering immunity.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

When we first arrived we were staying in a room with no fly screens and a huge gap under both the doors. We were absolutely covered in mozzie bites, so much so that we were asked if the kids had chickenpox!

No help for Jen though - definitely try anti-histamine both in tablet and cream form as soon as possible after the bite. My cousin had some natural anti-itch stuff when she had chickenpox, I'll ask her what it was.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:26 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Had to go to the chemist as my blister just continued to weep ALL day and an inch around the bite was hard and red and hot as anything. Apparently ur not meant to put Tiger Balm on an open wound, oopsies...so he gave me what seems like the aussie version of savlon/germoline....hopefully it'll stop weeping soon!

Thanks folks for the advice thus far xo
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:14 am
Just Joined

stmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Try Pawpaw cream. You can buy it in pharmacies and Target. Its in a red tube. This seems to help with some of the inflammation. i usually take anti-histamine as soon as I realise I've been bitten, then smother the bite with this stuff and it seems to help. I also brought a bite-zapper from Boots in the Uk and this is great at reducing the itchiness.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

hardly had any bites all summer and now ... grrr ... just back from a walk at the beach with the dog and got 3 or 4 bites. little bitches (only the female mozzies bite!) Jen, try the Mosquito Click, you can get it in chemists and you zap the bite a good few times. Then usually stick an ice pack over it for a while which definitely helps. Lavender oil if I can't find the cream for bites. More of an all-out assault on the bite really!!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

sounds like the sandflies have got ya.......they cause this kind of reaction and the only way to stop the itch is to pop the blisters and but eucalyptus oil or something like that ion them. when they weap and go crusty moisten the crusty bits and wipe off gently
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:33 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigH68
sounds like the sandflies have got ya.......they cause this kind of reaction and the only way to stop the itch is to pop the blisters and but eucalyptus oil or something like that ion them. when they weap and go crusty moisten the crusty bits and wipe off gently
Sandflies? We're in Toowoomba...would they be out this far? Or are they not just in coastal areas?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Sandflies? We're in Toowoomba...would they be out this far? Or are they not just in coastal areas?
the bastards are everywhere and so bloody tiny u dont notice them, you dont need to be near the coast
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:27 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by BigH68
the bastards are everywhere and so bloody tiny u dont notice them, you dont need to be near the coast
Oh, ok, wee gits! grr
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:41 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

I've had two bites since arriving in Australia that have been huge solid swollen bites, that then turn into blisters and then the blister pops and weeps. I had similar bites in the UK and think they were down to Horseflies. My question is this, these bites are right buggers and take a while to heal and are itchy as anything, this one, on my lower leg I've managed not to scratch just yet, but who knows what I'll do in my sleep lol Is there anyway of treating these bites so they don't hang around so long, or anything you can do to them while they're solid to stop them from swelling and blistering!?
Last time we went to Eumundi Markets we bought some stuff called Neem (not sure if spelling is correct ), works a treat on bites and other ailments.

Also i was bit by a snake a few weeks ago, hurt like hell. My neighbour suggested putting a raw onion on the bite and then wrapping in an ice pack...it worked a treat.

Last edited by 4500 Times; Apr 12th 2010 at 9:44 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Last time we went to Eumundi Markets we bought some stuff called Neem (not sure if spelling is correct ), works a treat on bites and other ailments.

Also i was bit by a snake a few weeks ago, hurt like hell. My neighbour suggested putting a raw onion on the bite and then wrapping in an ice pack...it worked a treat.
pity u smelt like Shrek haha
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:43 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by 4500 Times

Flip, should u not have gone to the hospital!?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:48 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Flip, should u not have gone to the hospital!?
They did but the hospital had run out of onions.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:54 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by kporte
They did but the hospital had run out of onions.
U

R

A

T

I

T

and u make me laugh!!! THANKU!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.