Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Blimey.... not always 20 years behind!!!!

Blimey.... not always 20 years behind!!!!

Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blimey.... not always 20 years behind!!!!

Well, I was dreading going out this morning as I had 2 jobs that I wasn't looking forward too.
One was to go to the Police Station to apply for a Police record here in Australia, due to a course that I want to go on, and the other was going to the Car reggo, as i had lost my sticker to put on the car window.

Walked into car reggo, told them that I had been in last week to register the car, but had lost the sticker that goes on the window.
She immediately passed me another sticker, and that was that. No forms, no discussions, straight in and out....

Then went onto the Police Station, explained that I needed a Police record since being here October last year.
Filled in a very short form, Name, address, Driving licence no, D.O.B.
Handed over $44 and asked how long it would take.
Reply - I am just printing it off for you now, and have done you 2 copies.
I told her that it took 40 days when we applied in the UK, and that they were well ahead as far a Police clearance checks.
She said that up until recently, it was just by state, but it has now gone Country wide.

Had a very poductive morning, expecting to be coming home stessed.
Not in the least - quite like it here today.

Whisky
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Blimey.... not always 20 years behind!!!!

well done Whisky...

this has nothing to do with this subject but made me feel good. Yesterday i went into a newsagent to buy just one envelope to send off a resume. Didnt want a whole big packet of htem as i knew i had some at home but couldnt find them. Asked the lady if she sold them singularly, but no, only in packets. As i went ot leave the shop she calle dme bck saying "hang on...ive got loads under the counter from old birthday cards lets see if we can find one the right size for you"... she found one...and said i could have it for nothing!!!!...

i thought i'd really be cheeky and ask if the stamps were free too...she said .. "dont push yor luck!!"
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
well done Whisky...

this has nothing to do with this subject but made me feel good. Yesterday i went into a newsagent to buy just one envelope to send off a resume. Didnt want a whole big packet of htem as i knew i had some at home but couldnt find them. Asked the lady if she sold them singularly, but no, only in packets. As i went ot leave the shop she calle dme bck saying "hang on...ive got loads under the counter from old birthday cards lets see if we can find one the right size for you"... she found one...and said i could have it for nothing!!!!...

i thought i'd really be cheeky and ask if the stamps were free too...she said .. "dont push yor luck!!"

Yes, nice when people are helpful.

I too went into the Post Office to pay the phone bill and the next payment on the Water bill. The assistant behind the counter informed me that it wasn't due till 31st October, and really didn't need to pay it till then if I didn't want too.

Oh happy day

Whisky
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:57 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by whisky
Well, I was dreading going out this morning as I had 2 jobs that I wasn't looking forward too.
One was to go to the Police Station to apply for a Police record here in Australia, due to a course that I want to go on, and the other was going to the Car reggo, as i had lost my sticker to put on the car window.

Walked into car reggo, told them that I had been in last week to register the car, but had lost the sticker that goes on the window.
She immediately passed me another sticker, and that was that. No forms, no discussions, straight in and out....

Then went onto the Police Station, explained that I needed a Police record since being here October last year.
Filled in a very short form, Name, address, Driving licence no, D.O.B.
Handed over $44 and asked how long it would take.
Reply - I am just printing it off for you now, and have done you 2 copies.
I told her that it took 40 days when we applied in the UK, and that they were well ahead as far a Police clearance checks.
She said that up until recently, it was just by state, but it has now gone Country wide.

Had a very poductive morning, expecting to be coming home stessed.
Not in the least - quite like it here today.

Whisky
The police checks have always been pretty quick here.. I had to apply for an Australian check a few years back ( it was when I was applying for PR within the country) .. It was really quick, I think it only took a week , maybe a week and half.

The British police checks are really slow! But I think this has more to do with strict privacy laws myself. I didn't half have problems with them, getting police checks from Britain being here in Aus.

cheers
Old Sep 10th 2004, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough

How refreshing is that!!! here in the U.K. I have to lug 3 kids around and get so frustrated with some of the systems in the U.K., everything so complicated and stressful - well done!!

Sally
Old Sep 10th 2004, 6:29 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Went to join library, had to produce two forms of ID.

They printed off a plastic card with my details there and then [like credit card size]. I scanned my own books through checkout and received a printed receipt with return by date. Was informed I can return books even if library is closed via a "hole in the wall" system

No stress, no worries.

Now that's what I call sevice

Old Sep 10th 2004, 6:35 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, and how easy is it when you pass your driving test. They do the photo and give it to you there and then. (so be prepared, i'm now looking slappy for the next 10 years cos i had a middle parting and wasn't fully dolled up for me photie)
Old Sep 10th 2004, 6:42 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Went to join library, had to produce two forms of ID.

They printed off a plastic card with my details there and then [like credit card size]. I scanned my own books through checkout and received a printed receipt with return by date. Was informed I can return books even if library is closed via a "hole in the wall" system

No stress, no worries.

Now that's what I call sevice

Or service..Sorry couldn't resist. The library system is great. I love those self scanning machines to take your books out and the little receipt you get with the due date on. Also you can renew your books online, check any fines and get full access to the whole Brisbane libraries catalogue on the internet and find out which library the book is in and whether it's in or out. You can also return your books to any of their libraries. Don't nwo if they do this in the UK, wasn't in a library for years there, now a regular user.

For those in Brisbane here's the library catalogue site:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/uhtbin/webcat
Old Sep 10th 2004, 6:56 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

More good things. I (unfortunately) take the bus to work. In Brisbane you can get a multi trip ticket - you get 10 trips and it costs the normal price of 8 trips. This is good for me as I only use the bus twice a day and sometimes (if away from home) don't use it - i.e. I could waste money on weekly tickets if I don't know where I'm going to be in the next week.

However, for those whose travel is different to mine you can also get a weekly ticket for the same price.

Even better (though no use to me personally) they've got integrated ticketing. This means you can travel on buses and ferries (and maybe trains?) with one ticket. So if you travel on two buses and one fery you don't pay three different fares

Even better, when they brought all this stuff in, the fares didn't go up, they went down! My 10 trip ticket is about $22, $5 less than it used to be.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 7:11 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by jayr
Or service..Sorry couldn't resist.
Cheers 4 that jay. Maybe I could spell if I went to skool

PS. I agree rivercat, bus, train tickets are good aren't they!AND less than a quid per journey

Old Sep 10th 2004, 7:26 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by hevs
yeah, and how easy is it when you pass your driving test. They do the photo and give it to you there and then. (so be prepared, i'm now looking slappy for the next 10 years cos i had a middle parting and wasn't fully dolled up for me photie)
Thanx for tip-off Hevs

I must remember to put the war paint and bra on then :scared:

Old Sep 10th 2004, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Another thing I love about the libraries here - NO FINES!! If you bring your books back a few days late they don't charge you. When I enrolled the girl was telling me the system so I asked about fines, she said ' as long as they are not too late we don't worry about it'

Great for me as I often forget!!
Old Sep 10th 2004, 8:29 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

P2Oz, I don't look that bad. i had the scaffolding on

Tina, you're lucky!! I got an $8 fine at my library
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:06 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that photo at licensing centre surprised me too! Ah, could have been worse.

I didn't get the license straightaway though, took a week.

Yeah, integrated tickets, have those here too. And I got a multi-rider 10 ticket. I think $17.....
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:09 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tinaj
Another thing I love about the libraries here - NO FINES!! If you bring your books back a few days late they don't charge you. When I enrolled the girl was telling me the system so I asked about fines, she said ' as long as they are not too late we don't worry about it'

Great for me as I often forget!!
They have Books in Oz! :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.