Blenheim Nz

Old Aug 27th 2003, 3:37 pm
Christchurch Bound

stephen john is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blenheim Nz

Can anyone give us any info on Blenheim as a place to live eg climate beaches schools etc as we are finding it difficult to find very much info

also do uk car seats conform to new zealand standards as we bought a new one and have since read the thread re carseats in oz
thanks
Claire
Old Aug 27th 2003, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

You can find climate stats here. Blenheim is half way down in the second block. The same information for some of the bigger towns and cities is displayed graphically here but unfortunately Blenheim isn't included.

Ben
Old Aug 27th 2003, 3:56 pm
Christchurch Bound

Default Sunshine

Thanks for the info Ben, the weather sounds very good lets hope thats not all it has going for it!!
Old Aug 28th 2003, 5:30 am
Just Joined

silv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blenheim Nz

Originally posted by stephen john
Can anyone give us any info on Blenheim as a place to live eg climate beaches schools etc as we are finding it difficult to find very much info

also do uk car seats conform to new zealand standards as we bought a new one and have since read the thread re carseats in oz
thanks
Claire

Hi

I live just outside of Blenheim. It has a population of about 20,00 I think. It is on par with Nelson for the sunniest place in NZ. It is also very dry with only about 40 inches of rain each year. The summers can be very warm high 20's - low 30's and the winters though you get frost, frequently by midmorning it is warm and sunny. The spring however can get quite windy though these winds usually subside by Christmas time.

This area is the centre of the wine industry, which has really taken off and brought alot of new people to the area. Presently there is a building boom and a serious shortage of skilled labour.

We are close to the Malborough Sounds where there are some lovely beaches the nearest one to Blenheim at Rarangi is very stoney and not safe for swimming but can be quite spectacular with huge waves etc.

iI would not class Blenheim as being the most exciting town in NZ but it is quite central for many things ie Nelson, ferry to Wellington just up the road, 3 hours to Christchurch etc. The surrounding countryside is lovely, but if you are keen on shopping I would forget it. There are plenty wineries to visit who do tastings and meals, lots of tramping and many people have boats which they use in the sounds.

Sorry I cannot help you with schools or car seats though.

If you want any other specific information let me know and I will try to help you.

cheers

Silv
Old Aug 28th 2003, 4:29 pm
Christchurch Bound

Default Re: Blenheim Nz

Originally posted by silv
Hi

I live just outside of Blenheim. It has a population of about 20,00 I think. It is on par with Nelson for the sunniest place in NZ. It is also very dry with only about 40 inches of rain each year. The summers can be very warm high 20's - low 30's and the winters though you get frost, frequently by midmorning it is warm and sunny. The spring however can get quite windy though these winds usually subside by Christmas time.

This area is the centre of the wine industry, which has really taken off and brought alot of new people to the area. Presently there is a building boom and a serious shortage of skilled labour.

We are close to the Malborough Sounds where there are some lovely beaches the nearest one to Blenheim at Rarangi is very stoney and not safe for swimming but can be quite spectacular with huge waves etc.

iI would not class Blenheim as being the most exciting town in NZ but it is quite central for many things ie Nelson, ferry to Wellington just up the road, 3 hours to Christchurch etc. The surrounding countryside is lovely, but if you are keen on shopping I would forget it. There are plenty wineries to visit who do tastings and meals, lots of tramping and many people have boats which they use in the sounds.

Sorry I cannot help you with schools or car seats though.

If you want any other specific information let me know and I will try to help you.

cheers

Silv
Thanks Silv

It sounds ok to me. My husband likes the bit about not much shopping however it sounds like a good excuse for a weekend away. Are there good facilities for children, like parks and swimming pools etc. How far from the sounds isit and are there some nice villages to commute from.Is it easy to get casual non skilled outdoor work.Sorry to ask so many questions
Old Aug 28th 2003, 6:48 pm
Christchurch Bound

Originally posted by jajpe
Hi Claire,

what's all this about Blenheim!!? Thought you were all set for Christchurch! Hope you've not run in to any problems!
Talk soon,
Shirley I will send you a pm
Old Aug 28th 2003, 6:54 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Blenheim...
hmmm... We have just come back from NZ, including a visit to Blenheim.

From what we can understand property prices in Blenheim are escalating out of control right now, according to locals. This is thouight to be primarilyt due to the wine industrty and the money associated with it.

As for unskilled work, we dont know but there is the wine industry.. we assume they have pickers etc.

The nearest "village" to blenheim in Renwick. There are others around. Although not really villages in the english sense. Picton, 18m from Blenheim is another possibility.

My fiance is from there, so his view is a bit jaundiced.

But best of luck
Old Aug 28th 2003, 7:12 pm
Christchurch Bound

Originally posted by Sazzle
Blenheim...
hmmm... We have just come back from NZ, including a visit to Blenheim.

From what we can understand property prices in Blenheim are escalating out of control right now, according to locals. This is thouight to be primarilyt due to the wine industrty and the money associated with it.

As for unskilled work, we dont know but there is the wine industry.. we assume they have pickers etc.

The nearest "village" to blenheim in Renwick. There are others around. Although not really villages in the english sense. Picton, 18m from Blenheim is another possibility.

My fiance is from there, so his view is a bit jaundiced.

But best of luck
Hi Sazzle
Thanks for the info,could your fiance tell me what it has going for it compared to Christchurch,I know its difficult but we may need to make a decision in Blenhiem without seeing Christchurch first.Also what did you think as I presume your from the Uk
Thanks
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:05 am
Just Joined

silv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

You ask how easy it is to get unskilled casual work. The vineyards are crying out for workers. It can be hard work and not well paid but you can normally do hours to suit and if you pick your employer carefully then you should be OK. There is work all year round.

I do not have kids myself but there seems to be lots of parks with play areas, a sports centre with swimming pool etc and a couple of cimemas.

The sounds would be about 20 minutes away. The main areas people would commute from would be Picton (20 minutes) Renwick, where I live, about 10minutes and Havelock, the mussel capitol about 40 minutes. The other poster is correct saying that house prices have escalated but the houses are nowhere near as expensive as Auckland. This area is becomming a desirable place to live due to the climate and lack of overcrowding so alot of people from down south are retiring up here. Most people I meet love it here. Personally we came out from Scotland 6 years ago and spent the first two years in the Waikato. Could never go back there there is just no comparison.

You may find the following websites of interest.

www.destinationmalborough.com (info on the area with nice pictures)

www.open2view.com (real estate)