Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Blagging it.........

Blagging it.........

Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Blagging it.........

Confession time.

I have been employed as a civil/structural draughtsman since 1988. I was staff for 4 years but then got made redundant and never got to complete my HNC. Since then I have been working on contract and declared the fact that I only have an ONC when I applied to IEAust (?), and passed, presumably due to my lengthy experience.

Being honest I have had HNC on my CV for the last 15 years, did actually complete the course (failed 2 subjects then got made redundant before I could retake them), and can do the job I'm employed to do wether I have a HNC or not. I have never been asked to show my qualifications to any employer.

Will australian companies want to see my qualifications? I just feel that if I'm up front about it then I won't get a chance to show what I can do.

BTW - If you think I'm the sort of person that shouldn't be allowed into Australia then that's just fine, just keep your opinions to yourself. I got my PR visa fair and square and was completely honest about my qualifications in my application for skills assessment with IEAust. So there!

If it all goes tits up then I'll just have to play golf while my wife works!

Cadman
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:07 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blagging it.........

Originally Posted by cadman
Confession time.

Cadman
LOL
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
LOL
To be fair I've been supporting her and the kids for the last 15 years! I've told her now it's her turn!

I also would like to get into scuba diving and am also into motorcycling !

Quite hoping that I won't get a job to be honest
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

I think that in most cases if u can do the job they shoouldnt really mind...think that CEO at birmingham city fc (karen somthingorother) blagged the job an look at her...

although snorkling sounds a better crack...
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chaval
I think that in most cases if u can do the job they shoouldnt really mind...think that CEO at birmingham city fc (karen somthingorother) blagged the job an look at her...

although snorkling sounds a better crack...

Probably wouldn't have a prob if I looked like her! and I'm not even going to start on which is a better crack !
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

Probably wouldn't have a prob if I looked like her! and I'm not even going to start on which is a better crack !
LOL
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Confession time.

I have been employed as a civil/structural draughtsman since 1988. I was staff for 4 years but then got made redundant and never got to complete my HNC. Since then I have been working on contract and declared the fact that I only have an ONC when I applied to IEAust (?), and passed, presumably due to my lengthy experience.

Being honest I have had HNC on my CV for the last 15 years, did actually complete the course (failed 2 subjects then got made redundant before I could retake them), and can do the job I'm employed to do wether I have a HNC or not. I have never been asked to show my qualifications to any employer.

Will australian companies want to see my qualifications? I just feel that if I'm up front about it then I won't get a chance to show what I can do.

BTW - If you think I'm the sort of person that shouldn't be allowed into Australia then that's just fine, just keep your opinions to yourself. I got my PR visa fair and square and was completely honest about my qualifications in my application for skills assessment with IEAust. So there!

Cadman
Bad news is, most companies here are quite sticklers for documentation. Especially for expats, they want proof of everything, every qualification.

Sorry, not what you wanted to hear,

I'd give the snorkling a go

JTL
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:51 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Fraid to say that they will eventually check it all out.
My references were not checked out until after I got the job (two months after in fact) and yes, generally,they do check all qualifications etc

Paul J
Old Jun 1st 2005, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this...

We'll note it down.

CareerOne, Seek, Hays, etc etc

Confession time.

Cadman
Old Jun 1st 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Fraid to say that they will eventually check it all out.
My references were not checked out until after I got the job (two months after in fact) and yes, generally,they do check all qualifications etc

Paul J

When we say check, do we mean want to look at the certificates or do we mean phone/contact my old college to ask for confirmation of my results?

Anyone got a colour photocopier?
Old Jun 1st 2005, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

If I'm being honest I'd be honest. Honesty pays.

When we say check, do we mean want to look at the certificates or do we mean phone/contact my old college to ask for confirmation of my results?

Anyone got a colour photocopier?
Old Jun 1st 2005, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Not sure if it's the same in Oz but I have heard in the UK even if you lie on your job application, assume you said you have qualifications on your CV which you don't, then even if the employer later finds out that you don't have those said qualifications, as long as you are doing a good job at what you were employed to do, they have no grounds on which they can sack you !

My boss told me this, not because I lied by the way, just he thought it quite amusing after hearing it on a business employment law course.

I'm not condoning telling lies for a job, just thought you may be interested to know this.

Couldn't you complete the bits you missed or failed on to get your HNC now ?

Phil
Old Jun 1st 2005, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Three Legs
If I'm being honest I'd be honest. Honesty pays.
Honesty pays? Now you're havin a laff !

If it wasn't for the fact that I can and have been doing the job for 15 years and that I'm pretty sure that no-one will employ me if I don't have the HNC then I'd be totally up-front about it.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
Couldn't you complete the bits you missed or failed on to get your HNC now ?Phil

No, you have to do it within 3 years. You also have to be in paid employment which is why I couldn't do it straight away as I was unemployed for a while. Then when I got contract work you can't have a day off every week even if it is unpaid.

Similarly, I couldn't do it again now from scratch cos I simply couldn't afford to take day off a week unpaid.

As far as the point about them not being able to sack you if you have proved you can do the job....... I generally work casual here and may do so again in Oz so you're only on a week to week contract anyway.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.