Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Blackwater near Emerald inland from Rockhampton

Blackwater near Emerald inland from Rockhampton

Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:11 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Blackwater near Emerald inland from Rockhampton

Any body there already, worked around there, no anything about around there.

My husband may have interview for that way on and as it is 2 1/2 hours from Rockhampton and 1/2 hr from Emerald not sure if it is Sticksville Australia.

Will he come back with long beard and will we have to learn to play the fiddle?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blackwater near Emerald inland from Rockhampton

Originally Posted by annqldau
Any body there already, worked around there, no anything about around there.

My husband may have interview for that way on and as it is 2 1/2 hours from Rockhampton and 1/2 hr from Emerald not sure if it is Sticksville Australia.

Will he come back with long beard and will we have to learn to play the fiddle?

Met a few from emerald including one family just out from there who went bankrupt after it didnt rain for 4 years. Family near us got transfered to a teaching position in Dysart and they are desperate to get out. Most of those areas up there are outback, dry for years, nothing there usually a bit of mining. Have you typed blackwater queensland into google.com.au will usually bring something up. Certainly a place you need to research, lets just say aussies are not exactly in a line up to get there.

Just being honest, not nasty, we are faced with a transfer to a totally crap area too.

Edit quick search is as suspected mining town with 8000 people most of whom work in the mines, 6 mines around the landscape, town is 200klm from the coast, 893 klm from brisbane, temps around high 30's for many months. Shopping center and mining housing in southern part of the town. Tourist qld site had a different view PMSL it came with a piccy of a crystal blue beach, now even I know it aint no where near no beach man

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 22nd 2005 at 1:02 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:01 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

this place is a sh!thole. do not go there! my girlfriend lived in emerald and worked in blackwater. she hated it. i have flown in and out of blackwater about 10 times. blackwater airport is a portaloo!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
this place is a sh!thole. do not go there! my girlfriend lived in emerald and worked in blackwater. she hated it. i have flown in and out of blackwater about 10 times. blackwater airport is a portaloo!
nothng like a honest answer.

It cracks me up tho, all this skill shortage business, the govvy, the bbc etc go on about it but omit to mention a lot of the jobs are in places like this!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:11 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
nothng like a honest answer.

It cracks me up tho, all this skill shortage business, the govvy, the bbc etc go on about it but omit to mention a lot of the jobs are in places like this!

Fair enough, but many trades people do a few years in the mines at places like this and set themselves up for life. I often think its only people who work at the mines or get a good compo payout that can really get ahead in Qld
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:15 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

my girlfriend lasted 2 months up there, i reckon i'd have made about half that! granted that is where the money is, but it's not worth the crap quality of life!

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Fair enough, but many trades people do a few years in the mines at places like this and set themselves up for life. I often think its only people who work at the mines or get a good compo payout that can really get ahead in Qld
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:27 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

the money in the mines can be anythin from $120k upwards this usually including accomodation. A lot of people from Yeppoon work in Blackwater....wife and kids stay here hubby comes home on days off. If u can put up with being away from each other then its a great start
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:52 am
Drunken Aussie

but it's not just the bit about 'being apart' thouugh. it's also about the fact that there is absolutely nothing to do, it's depressing, i think red rooster is the best restaurant. even emerald isn't much better (although it had the frist drive-through pizza - eagle boys - place in australia). if you are into water sports there is lake maraboon near emerald, but apart from that it really is not having a life while you are there.

Originally Posted by biggy
the money in the mines can be anythin from $120k upwards this usually including accomodation. A lot of people from Yeppoon work in Blackwater....wife and kids stay here hubby comes home on days off. If u can put up with being away from each other then its a great start
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:20 am

but it's not just the bit about 'being apart' thouugh. it's also about the fact that there is absolutely nothing to do, it's depressing, i think red rooster is the best restaurant. even emerald isn't much better (although it had the frist drive-through pizza - eagle boys - place in australia). if you are into water sports there is lake maraboon near emerald, but apart from that it really is not having a life while you are there.

yeah I know its not just the being apart....but if its hubby thats there then they work straight 12 hour shifts so it is basically work and sleep...not ideal by any means but a lot of peeps put up with it for the wonga.........wife and kiddies stay out on the coast, we have thought about it, but we did the work away from home bit for 4 years back in Scotland and that was enough, although we do fancy a nice new pool lol
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:32 am
Drunken Aussie

work and sleep is a crap way to live. i'd rather wait longer to get the pool than to get it now. at least you get some quality of life

Originally Posted by biggy
yeah I know its not just the being apart....but if its hubby thats there then they work straight 12 hour shifts so it is basically work and sleep...not ideal by any means but a lot of peeps put up with it for the wonga.........wife and kiddies stay out on the coast, we have thought about it, but we did the work away from home bit for 4 years back in Scotland and that was enough, although we do fancy a nice new pool lol
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:45 am

work and sleep is a crap way to live. i'd rather wait longer to get the pool than to get it now. at least you get some quality of life

I know it is a crap way of life and cant ever see us doin it...some people dont mind it, as I said been there done that, and it is a struggle being at home with the kids 24/7 also, as they eventually wont listen to a word dad says....the final decision always used to end up with me.....and hubby quite rightly got a bit pissed off.

I have spoken to a few peeps here and they are so used to it now that it isnt an issue, another thing for people to think about if they are contemplating this kid of existance, the police are coming down hard on people who have just finished there rosta at the mines and driving home after a 12 hour shift, infact I read in the paper that they were trying to bring in a new law so as U cant do it. We almost lost our mate in a car crash a couple weeks back, he was passenger in a car which was hit head on by a bloke who had just finished a shift out at the mines and was driving home. It was also stormy that night so they havent established what the cause was, although tiredness is very likely....both drivers were killed instantly, which is very very sad, and defo not worth the risk.....money or ur life I know what I would choose.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:13 am

Would think it was hard for police to crack down on driving car as then they would have to apply it to everyone and have log books for driving and that would never wash for cars I don't think... .

Sounds like Blackwater may not be the place to be....if local warehousing and logistics would get their finger out with job offers that are real wouldn't have to prat about.

In the mean time he has to be trucker.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:26 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

I took a trip up to Blackwater a frotnight ago on a job, all I can say is take your banjo and dungarees.

The place is a real out-of-the-way-shithole and not the sort of place you should be looking to live. Fly in fly out work in the mines is one thing but set up home elsewhere, Rocky or further South but not Blackwater. :scared:
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:07 am

Cheers, honest opinions is what I wanted as don't want to waste hard cash on trip to interview that is waste of time due to location.

Think Blackwater definetly sounds like one to strike off.

Left my banjo and dungarees in North East UK... .