Reload this Page >

Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth

Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth

Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:57 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Black refugees not welcome in Tamworth

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
Careful... you wil be accused of being a racist as I have been - usually by those have no idea what I am talking about!

It occures to me that if we changed the context and said...lets all us brits vote for a brits in the next aussie town elections and maybe take over the town council, they will jump and say...naw mate its impossible.....
Hasn't that happened in Spain?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:57 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Careful... you wil be accused of being a racist as I have been - usually by those have no idea what I am talking about!

It occures to me that if we changed the context and said...lets all us brits vote for a brits in the next aussie town elections and maybe take over the town council, they will jump and say...naw mate its impossible.....

You said it yourself, it is very difficult to hold an opinion on immigration without somebody accusing you of being racist.... and before anybody else says it, Yes, I am well aware that I am now an immigrant in Australia, as was my father to the UK.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

[QUOTE=iamthecreaturefromuranus]
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

I was born and raised in Central Manchester and went to school in Moss Side, so I think my multi-culture credentials are fairly secure.. that doesn't stop me thinking that its entire concept was flawed. The premise that large scale immigration could best be absobed into the UK by making the indegenious populations adapt to the immigrants needs and not expecting the immigrants to adapt their ways to the UK way was a major mistake.
But many immigrants have adapted to UK life. African Carribbeans are an example with almost 1 in 3 marrying white British partners and Asians who are not muslims e.g. Sikh and hindus have for the most part adapted well. On my recent visit to the UK I noticed that young Asians not of a religious muslim background are looking more and more westernised.

I grew up in Leicester which was and I still believe is 25% Asian - so I'm no Guardian reader. Back in my day young girls of my age would be wearing saris and have long hair, almost uniformly. Now they wear jeans and often have short hair. The boys actually have long hair.

I tend to agree that for some sectors of the migrant population multiculturalism hasn't worked. I noticed that more religious muslims were covering their faces, wear prayer caps and long robes. So it doesn't surprise me that many of the posters here who are skeptical of immigration come from places like Oldham etc. It seems that the more similar the culture to begin with the more easily adaption can occur.

Also the second thing is that Britain is primarily a secular, irreligious society and some of the differences and tensions between groups lie there.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

If as one memeber of the thread stated, you have lived with it..you can understand it...if you aint...what do you know about it.
Actually I have lived with it and I do know what it's like to feel different.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
Also the second thing is that Britain is primarily a secular, irreligious society
Never used to be! That's change for you!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:15 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Princess Leia]
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

But many immigrants have adapted to UK life. African Carribbeans are an example with almost 1 in 3 marrying white British partners and Asians who are not muslims e.g. Sikh and hindus have for the most part adapted well. On my recent visit to the UK I noticed that young Asians not of a religious muslim background are looking more and more westernised.

I grew up in Leicester which was and I still believe is 25% Asian - so I'm no Guardian reader. Back in my day young girls of my age would be wearing saris and have long hair, almost uniformly. Now they wear jeans and often have short hair. The boys actually have long hair.

I tend to agree that for some sectors of the migrant population multiculturalism hasn't worked. I noticed that more religious muslims were covering their faces, wear prayer caps and long robes. So it doesn't surprise me that many of the posters here who are skeptical of immigration come from places like Oldham etc. It seems that the more similar the culture to begin with the more easily adaption can occur.

Also the second thing is that Britain is primarily a secular, irreligious society and some of the differences and tensions between groups lie there.
There was a time when I firmly believed that the Asian community would eventually 'dissapear' into the rest of the population, as countless other groups have done over the generations. I now doubt that this will ever happen. While the general appearance may be becoming more Westernised I feel the Asian community itself is turning back in on itself. Islamic fundamentalism, while only practised by a small minority, is how the rest of the UK now see Asians.. and its driving a massive wedge between them.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=iamthecreaturefromuranus]
Originally Posted by Princess Leia

There was a time when I firmly believed that the Asian community would eventually 'dissapear' into the rest of the population, as countless other groups have done over the generations. I now doubt that this will ever happen.
As I've said, I think the success depends on the levels of equality. If your Asian or migrant is well educated, in the workforce and mixing then there's no issues. If your Asian or migrant is marginalised then there is a problem.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:23 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack]

As I've said, I think the success depends on the levels of equality. If your Asian or migrant is well educated, in the workforce and mixing then there's no issues. If your Asian or migrant is marginalised then there is a problem.
Absolutely... and given that the UK has had close to 20 years of uninterrupted economic growth, and still has major problems along these lines, God help us when the downturn comes and high levels of unemployment return.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Dec 19th 2006 at 6:27 am.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:46 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Accepting immigrants from civilised western cultures does not guarantee they wont commit crimes, australia accepts immigrants from UK, what was last weeks post on perth, teen stabbed by Pommie Gang. Tamworth mob find that out they probably wont want Poms either.
Couldn't agree more.

The next time I'm given a choice of living next door to a white family from a western, civilised society, who have passed stringent police checks, medicals, English language tests and have thousands of pounds capital against a family from a war torn African state who possess none of these attributes, I'll be sure to choose the latter.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:52 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
Couldn't agree more.

The next time I'm given a choice of living next door to a white family from a western, civilised society, who have passed stringent police checks, medicals, English language tests and have thousands of pounds capital against a family from a war torn African state who possess none of these attributes, I'll be sure to choose the latter.

what on earth does having money have to do with any of this. Are you trying to say that having money makes you a better person to live next door to? That has to be one of the worst cases of snobbery i've ever heard

Lynn
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by movetoperth
what on earth does having money have to do with any of this. Are you trying to say that having money makes you a better person to live next door to? That has to be one of the worst cases of snobbery i've ever heard

Lynn
It may be a generalization but I think having a few quid in your pocket makes you less likely to commit crime, particulary property crime.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

It may be a generalization but I think having a few quid in your pocket makes you less likely to commit crime, particulary property crime.
And having a lot of quids in your pocket but a dealer to keep in luxury can be an even greater guarantee of property crime (or the one some ladies resort to) being committed.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:36 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is a bl**dy great sweeping generalisation. and one which quite honestly flabergasts and disgusts me. It's about time that people accepted people for who they are, not what colour they are, what language they speak and especially not for how much money you think they have.

IMO snobbery and racism are one in the same, it's all about believing you are better than someone else for whatever reason and the world is a much sadder place for it.

Lynn
Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
Couldn't agree more.

Who says they dont have checks, medicals X rays, blood tests etc. What do you think australia does in goes in chucks thousands of airline tickets into the air and takes whoever grabs them . Australias taking migrant families with loads of young children, the precise age group australia needs.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Yes that is a bl**dy great sweeping generalisation. and one which quite honestly flabergasts and disgusts me. It's about time that people accepted people for who they are, not what colour they are, what language they speak and especially not for how much money you think they have.

IMO snobbery and racism are one in the same, it's all about believing you are better than someone else for whatever reason and the world is a much sadder place for it.

Lynn
I don't know what planet you live on but iamthecreaturefromuranus is absolutly correct when he says having a few quid in your pocket makes you less likely to commit crime, particulary property crime. You can be flabergated and disgusted as much as you like but the fact of the matter is that property crime is perpetuated on the haves by the have nots. So are muggings for that matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.