Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Black British and considering moving to Australia

Black British and considering moving to Australia

Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black British and considering moving to Australia

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
She was from Kerry, and about 25.

S

Should have ordered 250KG of peat off of her then At least we left the peat

Personally I see the Irish thing as a bitter long standing dispute between first cousins.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:45 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Should have ordered 250KG of peat off of her then At least we left the peat

Personally I see the Irish thing as a bitter long standing dispute between first cousins.

I must admit, it was the first time that it had ever happened, but it has left me a little wary of the Irish from that point on. Such deep seated resentment can't possibly be good.

I think the main take-away from the famine is that crop variation is a good idea - having a country all growing the same variety is bound to end in tears if there is a disease. So as it's my fault, I am going to accept full credit for the science of crop variation and rotation. Sound fair?

S
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yehp definitely fair.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
But it's not as if the conquerors have caused the people of what was once England to become alcoholics*...be long-term unemployed*, be second-class citizens with less opportunities...to need legal assistance - to seek redress etc etc...by and large the populations assimilated.

(*maybe they have!!)

but you get my point : for most modern Englishmen, the invasion has meant nothing material to them - other than an opportunity to roar at Twickenham...
And that was exactly my point when I said "Britain does not have the problem so really isn't in a position to judge the complexity of it." So thanks for confirming it.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
And that was exactly my point when I said "Britain does not have the problem so really isn't in a position to judge the complexity of it." So thanks for confirming it.
That's alright. It was Chris I thought who was making a point and drew me to comment.

I'm not bothered - what I meant though, in another point, that it was Britain who sent out it's people to Australia. So not to judge, looking at Australia itself, or with the same problem, but maybe a causal factor in managing other colonies.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

That's alright. It was Chris I thought who was making a point and drew me to comment.

I'm not bothered - what I meant though, in another point, that it was Britain who sent out it's people to Australia. So not to judge, looking at Australia itself, or with the same problem, but maybe a causal factor in managing other colonies.
..... and exactly my point too. Its a little unfair to blame Australians of today on the plight of Aborigines. The good news is of course colonization by those countries who practised in it centuries ago has now ceased.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Colonisation was super cool

Big fan of powerful nations sailing round the world, kicking the door in and making the locals their bitches

Colonisation was the UK's finest hour
Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Colonisation was super cool

Big fan of powerful nations sailing round the world, kicking the door in and making the locals their bitches

Colonisation was the UK's finest hour
Slavery was better
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:59 am
Just Joined

LeeChong is an unknown quantity at this point

That's sort of what I meant actually.
This whole Australian situation bothers me in some ways and not in others - a very 'humanist' sort of position.

I am bothered by the plight of a group when they encounter racist people - and by deaths in custody (who knows the real story there) but also see a group of people who don't, can't, and won't - and shouldn't...

I have been personally been held accountable by some London-based people for the plight of the Indigenous population which I think is a bit much.
But, isn't the point that current generations (either in UK or Australia), and whether responsible or not for the acts of their ancestors (probably not) continue to benefit from the acts of our ancestors. Whilst slavery, colonialism and sometimes genocide are things of the past the fact remains that white English societies have infrastructure and wealth which owes a lot to previous activities. And the destruction of indigenous societies and kingdoms clearly leaves a cultural impact that takes generations to disappear.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LeeChong
But, isn't the point that current generations (either in UK or Australia), and whether responsible or not for the acts of their ancestors (probably not) continue to benefit from the acts of our ancestors. Whilst slavery, colonialism and sometimes genocide are things of the past the fact remains that white English societies have infrastructure and wealth which owes a lot to previous activities. And the destruction of indigenous societies and kingdoms clearly leaves a cultural impact that takes generations to disappear.
Yep they do benefit. Ask the Chinese in Singapore if they feel they have benefited by the acts of their ancestors.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Yep they do benefit. Ask the Chinese in Singapore if they feel they have benefited by the acts of their ancestors.
So morally, if one knowingly profits on the back of ill-gotten gains, at the expense of the original victims and their descendants, it is perhaps arguable that one is also morally responsible for the victims descendants continuing plight? (Not directing that at anyone personally of course, it applies equally to me as a White Englishman).

As an aside - my history of China / Singapore is virtually nil - what happened there?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As for your first question, well that all depends if you want to accept responsibility for your ancestors. Some will some won't. What do I think? Well history is history. No point dwelling. Onwards and upwards for all.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Slavery was better
whatever floats your boat champ

I'll stick with colonisation
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

As for your first question, well that all depends if you want to accept responsibility for your ancestors. Some will some won't. What do I think? Well history is history. No point dwelling. Onwards and upwards for all.
But, if someone had forcibly taken your family's property or land and even perhaps killed your family members, at what point would that become history for you?

Personally I suspect that if I were a victim, or a descendent thereof, it would not be quite so easy to take the philosophical point of view that it was all just history until some considerable time had passed.

Hence I am no longer outraged by the roman conquest of Saxon England, as it was a very long time ago, but if I were a resident of a very poor country that was formerly a colony, and I saw that the coloniser or slaver had grown rich on the back of that I might conclude there is little justice in the situation, and it's not just history.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:05 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you just have to draw a line under it and move on, it was 100's of years ago and really isnt relevant to anyone alive or their recent relatives. By all means complain about their treatment now. This is why I didnt agree with The Apology, what did it achieve?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.