Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Black British and considering moving to Australia

Black British and considering moving to Australia

Old Feb 16th 2014, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice
Default Re: Black British and considering moving to Australia

[QUOTE
Bringing single African refugee women in need to Australia, with a host of kids in some circumstances, was probably not the wisest move. QUOTE]

Probably well meaning from the host country perspective, and a catch 22 - leave them in war torn countries they die or give them a chance to start life in a developed country, where settling in may be very difficult. Despite this I have seen (in WA) some refugees work against much adversity and still manage to raise a family.

Here is a story of the Lost Boys of Sudan, well told.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/ma...l?pagewanted=1
Old Feb 16th 2014, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

What on earth does the UK have to do with whether Australia is perceived as racist?

Seems like the default position for some on here is counter any negative comments about Australia with tenuous tie in comparos to the UK?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
What on earth does the UK have to do with whether Australia is perceived as racist?

Seems like the default position for some on here is counter any negative comments about Australia with tenuous tie in comparos to the UK?
Its a British Expats site. Therefore you compare and contrast to where British Expats know best.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on whether you are a glass half full person or not - sometimes the default position is to assume that the position in Australia (or the UK) is a negative one.

Overall, I don't consider Australia to be any more racist than the UK - (and in any case it's hard to read people's minds when they remain silent) but I think there is an institutionalised issue in Australia relating to the Indigenous population
which is hard to address or solve.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 16th 2014 at 10:40 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Depends on whether you are a glass half full person or not - sometimes the default position is to assume that the position in Australia (or the UK) is a negative one.

Overall, I don't consider Australia to be any more racist than the UK - (and in any case it's hard to read people's minds when they remain silent) but I think there is an institutionalised issue in Australia relating to the Indigenous population
which is hard to address or solve.
That's right. 200 odd years ago British settlers moved in and changed the indigenous population forever. Fast forward 200 years and you now have those living in the country trying to balance the errors of past generations.

If it was an easy fix then it would be done.

The US and Canada are in the same position as well as many countries in South America and all around the world. Britain does not have the problem so really isn't in a position to judge the complexity of it.

Perhaps Britain should be apologizing for what its previous generations did to the indigenous populations around the world.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 6:16 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It has absolutely nothing to do with the UK from what I can tell, all countries have varying degrees of racism so I cant see the relevance in trying to drag a country that has nothing to do with the discussion into it.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's right. 200 odd years ago British settlers moved in and changed the indigenous population forever. Fast forward 200 years and you now have those living in the country trying to balance the errors of past generations.

If it was an easy fix then it would be done.

The US and Canada are in the same position as well as many countries in South America and all around the world. Britain does not have the problem so really isn't in a position to judge the complexity of it.

Perhaps Britain should be apologizing for what its previous generations did to the indigenous populations around the world.
The Normans conquered England in 1066...but they conquered a similar culture and a people not so different.

a silly observation but true.

The Australian problem is a sort of 'when 2 worlds collide ' issue.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
It has absolutely nothing to do with the UK from what I can tell, all countries have varying degrees of racism so I cant see the relevance in trying to drag a country that has nothing to do with the discussion into it.
It does when it's policies have subjugated populations to invasion and have deemed a land to not exist before they arrived. There are plenty of English people who take an interest in the plight of the Indigenous population and make it their concern.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Normans conquered England in 1066...but they conquered a similar culture and a people not so different.

Yes silly me of course ...... the indigenous Anglo-Saxon have been moaning about that for the past 1000 years.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yes silly me of course ...... the indigenous Anglo-Saxon have been moaning about that for the past 1000 years.
But it's not as if the conquerors have caused the people of what was once England to become alcoholics*...be long-term unemployed*, be second-class citizens with less opportunities...to need legal assistance - to seek redress etc etc...by and large the populations assimilated.

(*maybe they have!!)

but you get my point : for most modern Englishmen, the invasion has meant nothing material to them - other than an opportunity to roar at Twickenham...
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Roman invasion and occupation of Britain would be a better example of 'culture shock' - though probably still effectively the same order of technology - just much more advanced social structure.

Should the British seek an apology from the Italians over the treatment of their ancient ancestors by the Romans...

S
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I think the Roman invasion and occupation of Britain would be a better example of 'culture shock' - though probably still effectively the same order of technology - just much more advanced social structure.

Should the British seek an apology from the Italians over the treatment of their ancient ancestors by the Romans...
That's sort of what I meant actually.
This whole Australian situation bothers me in some ways and not in others - a very 'humanist' sort of position.

I am bothered by the plight of a group when they encounter racist people - and by deaths in custody (who knows the real story there) but also see a group of people who don't, can't, and won't - and shouldn't...

I have been personally been held accountable by some London-based people for the plight of the Indigenous population which I think is a bit much.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

That's sort of what I meant actually.
This whole Australian situation bothers me in some ways and not in others - a very 'humanist' sort of position.

I am bothered by the plight of a group when they encounter racist people - and by deaths in custody (who knows the real story there) but also see a group of people who don't, can't, and won't - and shouldn't...

I have been personally been held accountable by some London-based people for the plight of the Indigenous population which I think is a bit much.

This last statement rings true - though not in an Australian context - I was held personally accountable for the Irish potato famine and all the deaths caused therein by a friend's friend when she was visiting from Ireland. Initially I thought she was joking, and I laughed it off, but she was actually deadly serious and kept niggling at me about it all night.

In the end I told her it was a shame we didn't do a better job, because then I woudn't have had to sit and listen to her crapping on all night, which didn't help my cause much

S
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
This last statement rings true - though not in an Australian context - I was held personally accountable for the Irish potato famine and all the deaths caused therein by a friend's friend when she was visiting from Ireland. Initially I thought she was joking, and I laughed it off, but she was actually deadly serious and kept niggling at me about it all night.

In the end I told her it was a shame we didn't do a better job, because then I woudn't have had to sit and listen to her crapping on all night, which didn't help my cause much

S
I honestly thought it was only Irish heritage people that hadn't had direct connections with Ireland for generations that did that. Never had a actual Southern Irish person say anything negative to me AFAIK.... Northern Ireland Catholics yes on occasion, but not Southern Irish.

To be blunt the worst ones of the lot, that I've personally encountered for carrying on, are the rampant Orange order people.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:34 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I honestly thought it was only Irish heritage people that hadn't had direct connections with Ireland for generations that did that. Never had a actual Southern Irish person say anything negative to me AFAIK.... Northern Ireland Catholics yes on occasion, but not Southern Irish.

To be blunt the worst ones of the lot, that I've personally encountered for carrying on, are the rampant Orange order people.

She was from Kerry, and about 25.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.