Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Black British and considering moving to Australia

Black British and considering moving to Australia

Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:17 am
Just Joined

jamesS85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Black British and considering moving to Australia

Hi im white, does anyone think my race will be a problem in australia?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jamesS85
I have been abused in Alice springs and Darwin for being white.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesS85

Given the institutionalized abuses suffered by black people over the years, including in Australia, the OP's question was perfectly valid.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:26 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
I have been abused in Alice springs and Darwin for being white.
Grow a set and ignore it. When your land and children have been taken from you by Aboriginal people, come back and complain.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:27 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Oh sorry forgot Australia is racist free
Old Feb 14th 2014, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Grow a set and ignore it. When your land and children have been taken from you by Aboriginal people, come back and complain.
Got to say this would have been difficult to ignore, I watched it on a documentuary about Indians views of Australia, As an ABC film crew took a group of Indians around the country to see first hand for themselves the good and bad sides of Australia, and how much racism they would encounter.... things like Kings Cross at 2.30am and walking around without the crew etc etc..

The only place they got attacked was in Alice Springs by these women.

Old Feb 14th 2014, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Didn't really bother me to be honest, but it did happen.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

black, poor, obese....

there will be someone out to get you somewhere....
Old Feb 14th 2014, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Got to say this would have been difficult to ignore, I watched it on a documentuary about Indians views of Australia, As an ABC film crew took a group of Indians around the country to see first hand for themselves the good and bad sides of Australia, and how much racism they would encounter.... things like Kings Cross at 2.30am and walking around without the crew etc etc..

The only place they got attacked was in Alice Springs by these women.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Im8UqmXxIQg
Hardly amazing.

The ratio of indigenous to non-indigenous incarcerated nationally is 14:1, in Western Australia it's nearly 20:1.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Hardly amazing.

The ratio of indigenous to non-indigenous incarcerated nationally is 14:1, in Western Australia it's nearly 20:1.
The Indigenous population of Australia has deep-seated issues of their own....I'm not sure how being Indian or black has any parallel....
Old Feb 14th 2014, 9:58 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Given the institutionalized abuses suffered by black people over the years, including in Australia, the OP's question was perfectly valid.
Err, the biggest threat to aboriginal people, is, and has always been, other aboriginal people.

And the instruction to 'ignore it' is a big part of the problem.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Err, the biggest threat to aboriginal people, is, and has always been, other aboriginal people.

It's just occurred to me that the indigenous population have probably received more funds and been the beneficiary of public programmes than an Uk ethnic minority...it's something you can't throw money at.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 11:21 am
Concierge

Yeah, righto. Whatever you reckon.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

I would probably add radical left wing do-gooders to that list of biggest threat of aboriginal people. I remember going to Darfur in Sudan more than 10 years ago while working for an international aid organization and shedding tears at the misery, poverty and hopelessness I saw. That feeling came to me a year ago while visiting a remote aboriginal community in WA. One appeared to be circumstances and the other absence of responsibility and a welfare bureaucracy (both state and private) that needs their clients than the other way round.

The notion that rights do not have to come with responsibilities, or the inability to articulate an agenda for aboriginal people beyond welfare and government support baffles me. My attitude to a $50 I have earned is different to $50 a nanny state gives to me. Passive welfare has killed responsibility for generations, you do not become used to hand outs unless some one is willing to offer it. Indigenous Australians will never have social order and social mobility until they have responsibility at the individual, family and community levels. Those are things no government can do, but their leaders can help the people. The other option is cry victim for generations.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

How so, Joe? (genuine question )
I have Kenyan friends who have lived in both London and Perth. I also have family in London and visit at times. The general consensus is Perth is way too behind - partly because Africans have only been around for less than 20 years. Also, the concept of 'abroad' to a large section of people in Perth is Bali, perhaps some have never left Perth their whole life - so when you come from Africa with your strange surnames and funny accents they see you as exotic. I have sat in a train and these kids with their mom pointed at me - 'Mum, Chocolate person', probably they had never seen a black person. I have been asked by teenagers in a late night train if I deal pot and whether I can rap like Tupac or Bigi, to them being black or African meant you deal drugs and rap. These are isolated issues but awareness of other cultures in Perth isn't at a level you would find in New York or London. I don't sweat these stuff and that's why how you react makes a difference. I shouldn't be defined by being black or African, but that is the social construct of a majority of people here, unfortunately. These attitudes wouldn't be reflected in statistics.

Last edited by JOE2010; Feb 14th 2014 at 2:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.