Reload this Page >

Black British and considering moving to Australia

Black British and considering moving to Australia

Old Feb 5th 2014, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

khaysha is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Black British and considering moving to Australia

Hi everybody!

I'm finishing my degree ans working a season in Ayia Napa this summer and in October I'm considering moving to Australia for a year and I was just wandering if anybody know if my race would be an issue. I'm planning to go to Perth. I've been reading some posts on this website on similar topics but they were from years ago so I was just wandering if anybody could give me any advice. I think I'd get along with people I'm more worried about not being able to get a job. any advice is appreciated and if anybody esle is considering going around the same time it would be great to have a buddy!
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black British and considering moving to Australia

Originally Posted by khaysha
Hi everybody!

I'm finishing my degree ans working a season in Ayia Napa this summer and in October I'm considering moving to Australia for a year and I was just wandering if anybody know if my race would be an issue. I'm planning to go to Perth. I've been reading some posts on this website on similar topics but they were from years ago so I was just wandering if anybody could give me any advice. I think I'd get along with people I'm more worried about not being able to get a job. any advice is appreciated and if anybody esle is considering going around the same time it would be great to have a buddy!
Why would you think the colour of your skin would prevent you from getting a job? I think it would be much more likely that you don't have a skill or Australian experience that would be the barriers to working here.

On another note, do you qualify for a visa to come live and work here? www.immi.gov.au is where to look at that.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why would you think the colour of your skin would prevent you from getting a job? I think it would be much more likely that you don't have a skill or Australian experience that would be the barriers to working here.

On another note, do you qualify for a visa to come live and work here? www.immi.gov.au is where to look at that.

Yeah I do qualify I've been looking into it and I'm sure it will be fine but even in 2014 rasicsm is still around, I'm just making sure lol
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Just a guess but possibly because she has experienced it previously?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Just a guess but possibly because she has experienced it previously?
In Australia?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

In Australia?
Oh sorry forgot Australia is racist free
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:59 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Oh sorry forgot Australia is racist free
Certainly where I work it seems to be. My department looks like the United Nations We've got a great range of colours and accents going on here.

I would think her lack of English skills would be more of a barrier.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

To the op, generally there are lots of different races (and lots of chinese, indian, SE asian migrants). There are also mainly australian who take a dim view of anyone not australian back 'X' generations. However that tends to apply equally to white brits, black brits, americans, turkish, lebonese, etc.

Colour is less likely to be an issue than cultural outlook and 'fitting in'.

Distrust of 'blacks' tends to be distrust of 'abos', where it occurs (which tends to be more country than city). As such racist views tend to be more nuanced and focused than the UK - they've got no particular reason to distrust you, so you go into the general 'other' pot - to be slightly distrusted unless you can be shown to 'fit in'.

You still need a thick skin for the insults, but they are more likely to be of the 'bloody pom' variety.

In the cities there tends to be little issue; they are all too busy trying to be americans....
Old Feb 6th 2014, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Tend to agree fully with Gary... Although I'd say being black as in UK or American black complete with accent, could actually be a bonus from the novelty factor in this country. I reckon the average Aussie will pick up on the accent real quick and do a curious double take. Careful though, they will possibly start off with an "acceptance" insult/remark at first and this can be quite off putting to people not used to Aussie culture.... UK people should be able to work this out pretty quickly though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 6th 2014 at 3:14 am.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

She's British, so quite likely to speak English I would have thought!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
She's British, so quite likely to speak English I would have thought!
I think that was in reference to the poor written communication grammer accuracy...
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Certainly where I work it seems to be. My department looks like the United Nations We've got a great range of colours and accents going on here.

So many grammar warriors on the internet does it really matter....
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:57 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by khaysha
So many grammar warriors on the internet does it really matter....
If you're looking for work, then yes, it matters.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 11:10 am
Just Joined

If you're looking for work, then yes, it matters.
I doubt bar work etc will require me to have fantastic written skills, my degrees in Economics anyway im more maths based. Thank you for your concern though

Old Feb 6th 2014, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

For casual work such as bar work, you would be better in Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne than Perth.

I think Perth is a bit isolated for a 'young single travelling on their own' person (making assumptions there).

My hubby is mixed race and was a novelty when we first arrived for his very posh British accent...its faded now and turned into Aussie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.