Reload this Page >

Biting insects, Perth

Biting insects, Perth

Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

nickallen1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Biting insects, Perth

Help,
My family were down at the beach at Pinnaroo ( northern Perth ) the other day doing a spot of fishing, Just as we decided to pack up ( Noonish) my wife asked if flies can bite as she had just been bitten 5 times. These bugers were not "normal "flies though. Most flies when you move fly off and then land on you again to annoy you but these were a bit meaner. Didn't fly off unless you tried to swat them and then they were reluctant to go. Apparently they looked a litle like a house fly on steroids but were black and white striped. The upshot is that it ( or They) have left 5 extremely irritable bites around my missis and her wrist has swollen up quite considerably.
Trying to find out what they are so we can avoid them in the future.

Many thanks in anticipation
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Biting insects, Perth

March flies, little swines

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_flies/Tabanidae.htm
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickallen1969
Help,
My family were down at the beach at Pinnaroo ( northern Perth ) the other day doing a spot of fishing, Just as we decided to pack up ( Noonish) my wife asked if flies can bite as she had just been bitten 5 times. These bugers were not "normal "flies though. Most flies when you move fly off and then land on you again to annoy you but these were a bit meaner. Didn't fly off unless you tried to swat them and then they were reluctant to go. Apparently they looked a litle like a house fly on steroids but were black and white striped. The upshot is that it ( or They) have left 5 extremely irritable bites around my missis and her wrist has swollen up quite considerably.
Trying to find out what they are so we can avoid them in the future.

Many thanks in anticipation
Sounds like March flies to me.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
snap!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

I had a bite from these flies. Its painful. I couldnt beleive it when I looked down at my foot and realised it was a fly that had bitten me !!!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I was up in a house in the Perth hills the other weekend and I was shocked when one of the bastards bit me. The host told me to wait until it bit and then smack it - at least that way you can kill them.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
I was up in a house in the Perth hills the other weekend and I was shocked when one of the bastards bit me. The host told me to wait until it bit and then smack it - at least that way you can kill them.
Agree - they may be painful but they are very slow and easy to kill.

Bruce
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Yeah nasty buggers.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

nickallen1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

To all who responded, Many thanks for the info, it sounds to be right, My wife says they were quite slow and would have been very easy to swat.

Many thanks
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:40 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

have swatted one of these little buggerrs and as you cant normally get them I was disgusted when I DID hit it but it exploded and blood (its or mine) ran all down my leg UURGH!