Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Biting Insects Mystery

Biting Insects Mystery

Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Biting Insects Mystery

Hi folks

Just to add to all the hysteria over ticks, I was wondering if anyone could hazard a guess as to what insects bit me last night at dusk.

I have been to Africa and all over Asia and am unfortunately too well aquainted with mosquitos, so I know this wasn't a mossie. They are sly enough to bite you and be gone for some time before the bite becomes apparent. Could midgie flies be responsible?

I was standing chatting to my neighbour and I actually felt myself get bitten several times all over my poor bare feet (well, bared in thongs ha ha) and also all over my hands. The intense itching was instantenous. I now have several red swollen mounds all over my hands and feet, with no obvious bite marks. They are very hot to the touch. I awoke at 5.30am today as they all kicked off itching at once aarrggh. I've slopped germolene and lavender oil all over them and hopefully they'll die down soon.

But I'm just curious as to what insect did this. And naturally I won't be out indoors at dusk again without covering up. I wouldn't mind but I was doing my OH a favour by bringing in his washing LOL

Anyway, any ideas as to the identity of the culprit??
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:54 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biting Insects Mystery

Sounds like biting ants - I haven't experienced any here yet but in Asia they're vicious blighters with pain being instant.

Oh sorry, just seen that you said hands too. Hmmmm, maybe not.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:03 pm
ABCDiamond

It sounds like the Biting Midge

I was targeted by them a few weeks ago, and got 28 bites I think, in 10 minutes !!! I've been here 16 years, and that was the worst I have ever been bitten by anything, well other than a snake (but that's a different story, and it was in Cornwall anyway).

Biting midges are responsible for acute discomfort, irritation and severe local reactions. Itching may commence immediately after the bite, but often not for some hours later, and most individuals are unaware of being bitten at the time. Biting midges have their greatest impact on people arriving to an area or tourists. Local residents seem to build up some immunity to the biting. In some sensitive people, midges can produce persistent reactions that blister and weep serum from the site of each bite and these reactions may last for several days to weeks. Biting midges are not known to transmit any disease-causing pathogens to humans in Australia.
Mine all went down within 3-4 days I think, but I used a fair bit of stop itch cream

Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:05 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Sand flies if you were near a beach? Or it could have been a plant, if you were walking through some undergrowth or something.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

think people often use sand flies and midges to describe the same thing. We have them here and I personally think they are far worse than a mossie. Tried all the usual - creams sprays clickers with limited success to stop the itching. A nice hot bath helps for a while. And they leave me with horrible marks for ages after - looks sooo nice.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

It does indeed seem like the midges/sandflies. We do live near a beach (2 mins walk away) and I did get around 20 or 30 bites within 10 minutes. My worst affected hand and foot have swollen up like the Hulk Thankfully my local pharmacist has put me on 180mg of "Telfast" antihistamines, and a topical cream to numb out the itching.

Hopefully I won't be repeating the experience!!