Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bite your nose to spite your face?

Bite your nose to spite your face?

Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:36 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Question Bite your nose to spite your face?

I have a problem and need advice.

I have worked for the same organisation for 10 years, but i need to ask for references for skilled visa, how helldo i approach them on this one...they will know i am considering leaving once i ask....?

I don't want them to get rid of me until i have my Visa as i have a couple of little uns so my wage is important...I could leave but don't want to until the timeis right,,

Advice would be helpfull, somebody must have had a similar problem...
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:43 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bite your nose to spite your face?

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life

I have worked for the same organisation for 10 years, but i need to ask for references for skilled visa, how helldo i approach them on this one...they will know i am considering leaving once i ask....?

I don't want them to get rid of me until i have my Visa as i have a couple of little uns so my wage is important...I could leave but don't want to until the timeis right,,

you just have to go to ur boss explain the situation and hope that they are supportive.

Hubby was dreading it, but his boss was great....hubby said look it might not come -off but this is our long term plan, and dont worry I will keep u up to date with every part of the process, I will give you plenty of notice IF I am leaving etc etc..........In the end he managed to work extra notice, and kept his boss sweet to the end......and he knows that should things not work here, that he will always have a job to go back to.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:17 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life

Ben, don't do anything yet, make sure your references are perfectly presented and your boss just needs to print them out, check them to agree with what you have written.

When you are at that stage, explain to your boss about your plans and dreams, how it is by no means any bad reflection on his company. On the contrary, its by having the experience gained from his establishment has given you the courage to try for a new life and then explain to him you wont be leaving immediately and how long the whole process can take.

Because we all know it can take ages, and then you have time to validate your visa.

You will be fine.

Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by biggy
you just have to go to ur boss explain the situation and hope that they are supportive.

Hubby was dreading it, but his boss was great....hubby said look it might not come -off but this is our long term plan, and dont worry I will keep u up to date with every part of the process, I will give you plenty of notice IF I am leaving etc etc..........In the end he managed to work extra notice, and kept his boss sweet to the end......and he knows that should things not work here, that he will always have a job to go back to.

Good idea. I told my boss that I was applying as part of our long term plan and as it was so difficult to get a visa the older you are we would get it done and out of the way. Then at least we would have the option later on. I promised I would keep him informed as well and he seemed pleased if not a bit alarmed. Maybe I will tell him I have the visa and I am leaving on the same day :scared:
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:26 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rabc
Good idea. I told my boss that I was applying as part of our long term plan and as it was so difficult to get a visa the older you are we would get it done and out of the way. Then at least we would have the option later on. I promised I would keep him informed as well and he seemed pleased if not a bit alarmed. Maybe I will tell him I have the visa and I am leaving on the same day :scared:
lmao how wicked would that be.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:06 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
lmao how wicked would that be.

Thanks for your inputs, I have to bite my tonque for now and see what happens,,,#

Wish me luck....
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:12 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

i work for the nhs, and since the introduction of flexible working practices, several of my colleagues have taken advantage of 'career breaks' to go off for a year and work in aus. If your employer is also flexible, why not go with this approach - just give them plenty of notice!