Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bite Sized Chunks for A Copeing Strategy

Bite Sized Chunks for A Copeing Strategy

Old May 25th 2005, 1:08 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bite Sized Chunks for A Copeing Strategy

Just a wee thought. We've been here on Gold Coast for a couple of months now. I suddenly started getting very home sick - as was said in another post, more missing past events from youth ect......but also my parents are getting on and I was feeling extreme guilt at depriving them of their Grandchildren. I really spent a few days soul searching (was ill too with a nasty bug!) I ached to be back in Edinburgh, longed to see a red bus, craved to be in certain shops, longed to snuggle by the fire in warm clothes etc... felt so painfull inside and howled like a banshee for 24 hours. Spent hours peering at the Edinburgh on-line web cam. Concluded that for me, it is not about where you are but who your with. My Mum moved to South Africa with my Dad years ago, but came home again because of her Mum - so she has been very suportive of me moving as she missed her chance to settle elsewhere and didn't want me to do the same. (She too feels that Edinburgh is going to the dogs and wants the best future for the grandwanes!) I explained to her at that time that how I was feeling - comming back for your Mum was a damn good enough reason for me and I would have the rest of my life to sort out life situations but time is so very precious with regards to time with children and their Grandparents.

However...a few days passed, hubby got work, I realized that I could slow down with the "need" to work as hubby has 2 jobs (I had 7 in UK and he was mum) and build on one main career I wanted and work on that over time, with less pressure to make supportive income and spend a bit more time with my kids, being a .....dare I say it....MUM! (ARGHGH...not yet used to that one, but working on it!)
And the big thing for me (which is the bloody point of this endless babble).....I decided to look at this move as a 2 year taster, get our citizenship for our future and kids futures....get our bond back and then see what happens. I could then return to UK to be with parents if I felt that was right...or stay here and get them over (they might!) But since I chose to see this as a 2 year plan with a "let's see" attitude....life is so much better now. I have released the pressure to "get a life" and make it work and things are just so much easier to cope with.
Bite sized chunks, my friends......it helps!
Old May 25th 2005, 1:15 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Bite Sized Chunks for A Copeing Strategy

SEVEN jobs, OMG!!

Agree with you completely though... take every day as it comes to begin with. Allow yourself time to transit and things will sort themselves out (more or less)
Hard weeks, become hard days, and these in turn become hard hours. You're always going to have the odd difficult hour to struggle through, lets face it, thats life. What does change though is the balance.... good hours, become good days, become good weeks... before you know it you've gone through a fortnight without a problem & you feel like you're at "home" in what was once a strange and far-away country!!

See ya Saturday
Old May 25th 2005, 1:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
Bite sized chunks, my friends......it helps!
I agree I'm using the same principle during these next two weeks, I'll do the washing up today, the clothes washing tomorrow, and maybe use the vacuum on Friday

Glad to hear that your husband has got work, and you can slow down a bit

Mind you, I'll be stressing in two weeks time, if i don't keep this house tidy for when my wife gets back from her holiday

Old May 25th 2005, 12:05 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree I'm using the same principle during these next two weeks, I'll do the washing up today, the clothes washing tomorrow, and maybe use the vacuum on Friday

Glad to hear that your husband has got work, and you can slow down a bit

Mind you, I'll be stressing in two weeks time, if i don't keep this house tidy for when my wife gets back from her holiday

Yes, well I did say bite sized chunks but does the same idea work with "nibbles" too then?!? LOL!
Old May 25th 2005, 5:53 pm
Merlot

Nice outlook and approach.

Merlot

Old May 25th 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree
We cam on a 4 year visa and I could have gone home after 2 months. But we gave ourselves till Christmas and then we would look at it. This helped and now we are settled. Still not sure I will stay forever but no doubt as time goes on that might change.
Bite size chunks does work. Set yourself targets and when you have reached them, move on to the next.
Old May 25th 2005, 9:11 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by mand8002
I agree
We cam on a 4 year visa and I could have gone home after 2 months. But we gave ourselves till Christmas and then we would look at it. This helped and now we are settled. Still not sure I will stay forever but no doubt as time goes on that might change.
Bite size chunks does work. Set yourself targets and when you have reached them, move on to the next.
This should be the approach to life in any place Otherwise you would go nuts :scared:

M

Old May 25th 2005, 10:10 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlot
This should be the approach to life in any place Otherwise you would go nuts :scared:

M

Yeh, your right. It should be a life approach...in theory, that works. But especially with moving to the flippin other side of the world - it's real hard to see at the time, that selling all you own and leaving jobs, family and friends and buggering offski thousands of miles away is not a "forever" decision that can easily be reversed! lol! But just trying to get into the frame of mind that at this stage, if it came down to it, starting again is another avenue of challege and different experience (and not falling down and getting back up again!)

Last edited by wholeworldwindow; May 25th 2005 at 10:13 pm.