British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   a bit of movement in the ex rate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bit-movement-ex-rate-197558/)

itsasecret Dec 18th 2003 12:40 pm

a bit of movement in the ex rate

at last a bit of movement in the oz exchange rate,, its kreeping back up .
exchange rate :)

PeterAndSue Dec 18th 2003 12:49 pm

Some good news .
Already sent some money across but still more to come

OzTennis Dec 18th 2003 12:57 pm

Re: a bit of movement in the ex rate

Originally posted by itsasecret
at last a bit of movement in the oz exchange rate,, its kreeping back up .
exchange rate :)
Thanks for that link. Nearly $2.40 currently. Probably the immediate after effects of the 2nd interest rate rise in Australia have worn off and the demand for the $ declining so the rate (from the £'s perspective) picks up ....... until the next possible interest rate rise? The possibility of i/r rises in the UK as well as what's happening to the US$ and Jap yen make it an extremely difficult one to predict though. However it looks better for those about to transfer funds to Oz than it has done over the last few weeks.

OzTennis:)

tetley101 Dec 18th 2003 1:27 pm

i'm gonna hang on and gamble on further rises in the next six months or so before buying oz dollar.

hopefully house prices will fall as well in that time

young_lad Dec 18th 2003 2:15 pm

Originally posted by tetley
i'm gonna hang on and gamble on further rises in the next six months or so before buying oz dollar.
is this based on anything - or is it just pure gamble?

sjn2003 Dec 18th 2003 3:48 pm

Don't you think we should just watch the US $ movements as its such a major chunk of the market ? They went up after they captured Sadaam, other rates fall.

You may have guessed I have a very basic knowledge of global currency trends :)

Megalania Dec 18th 2003 5:28 pm

Large sell Aussie, buy Euro trade 2 days ago.

tetley101 Dec 18th 2003 5:29 pm

Young lad

i think when it comes to currencies it's always a gamble

but here are some factors

uk interest rate rise, probable
us dollar fall further, probable
comodities up, probable if china continues to grow

i'm no currency expert though

and i will probably look to fx some(maybe a third) in jan then hang on and watch how things develop over the next six months

walaj Dec 18th 2003 5:55 pm

Originally posted by tetley
us dollar fall further, probable
the US government is unlikely to do anything much to strengthen the $ before the elections next year

if you are interested why ....... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3303549.stm

tinaj Dec 18th 2003 6:03 pm

I am gutted as we chickened out when it started to drop and got a terrible rate. Never mind we still have a bit left to transfer.:(

Amazulu Dec 18th 2003 9:47 pm

It hit $2.40 earlier today but has now slide back a bit.

dracupg Dec 18th 2003 11:16 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Still reckon there is plenty upside left in the AUD.

OzTennis Dec 19th 2003 8:23 am

Originally posted by Amazulu
It hit $2.40 earlier today but has now slide back a bit.
$2.40 might be a pyschological 'ceiling' with the fx traders now - and there could be a $2.20 'floor' sometime later next year??? This is more clairvoyancy and reading what the 'experts' predict in the financial press I hasten to add. There also seemed to be a lot of selling of the 'greenback' in the last few days which adversely affects the A$.

OzTennis :)

itsasecret Dec 19th 2003 8:28 am

Originally posted by sjn2003
Don't you think we should just watch the US $ movements as its such a major chunk of the market ? They went up after they captured Sadaam, other rates fall.

You may have guessed I have a very basic knowledge of global currency trends :)
Your right about US.. we should watch them carefully , however the prospects for a stronger Greenback looks grim but fingers cross other countries may try to push it back up as they did with the Euro..

dracupg Dec 19th 2003 10:16 am

The problem is that everyone tends to thing of exchange rates in the short term, but when you look at rates only up to 10 years ago it makes you think that the current AUD may not be anywhere near is peak against USD/GBP.

Just think people should consider this before hand rather than holding on waiting for the rates to drop before they transfer money, based on very short term movements.